Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:29:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mrs. Brown - No Way Home

Started by George White, January 18, 2022, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

https://ew.com/movies/first-look-tyler-perry-a-madea-homecoming/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=61e6fa4405205c0001e97af0
Yep, looks like this has finally happened.
That Brendan O'Carroll and Tyler Perry have come together.
Although it seems more like Mrs. Brown and Cathy are making guest appearances a la Patsy or Edina in Roseanne or Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts' characters from Yus, My Dear/Romany Jones in Holiday On the Buses.

Still don't think this'll get a UK/Irish theatrical release unless it's retitled or remarketed.
EDIT: It's for Netflix.

dead-ced-dead

I'm not sure if any of the Madea films have come over to the UK. But they go over like gangbusters in America, so good for Brendan, even if I'm not a fan.

George White

It looks to be for Netflx, so BOC is there as the token name for Brits/Irish to latch onto, like a reverse of getting Brian Donlevy as Quatermass.

Glebe

Yeah O' Carroll was talking about collaborating with Perry awhile ago. Still, it's a bit surreal.

George White

I know. But I also presumed it was just chatter, an idea the two shared. I remember him saying that the Atlanta Brown/Simmons family would think Ireland was in the Caribbean and Mrs. Brown's boys would think the Simmons/Brown family would be Irish-American.

Seems that only Agnes and Cathy (i.e. Mr. and Mrs. O'Carroll) are appearing. 
But no, this is finally happening.

JamesTC

QuoteAgnes Brown's first act upon wandering into the frame is to break wind. Next, she knocks on the door of an African-American woman and shouts "Wakanda Forever".

This is followed by a drawn-out gag in which Mrs Brown urges her new friends not to get their "knickers" in a twist – and they think she is using the "n" word.

Jesus.

Malcy

George White

Also, apparently, they've shifted the pronunciation of Mammy slightly to something more like Mummy, presumably because of the connotations 'Mammy' has in the States.
When Americans hear the word, they see Hattie McDaniel in a headscarf.

checkoutgirl

QuoteThe Browns are soon breaking bread – and wind – with Madea's family. "Hilarity" ensues as Agnes develops a fondness for Madea's special brand of "chocolate" – it is, of course, cannabis

Christ.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: George White on March 03, 2022, 10:24:43 PMAlso, apparently, they've shifted the pronunciation of Mammy slightly to something more like Mummy, presumably because of the connotations 'Mammy' has in the States.
When Americans hear the word, they see Hattie McDaniel in a headscarf.

Or maybe...

Who I believe was known as Mammy two shoes.

George White

True.
And Randolph (like McDaniel) was one of the various Beulahs (Beulah being the archetypal sitcom Mammy).

idunnosomename

Seems this is just 46 minutes of farting?

Tony Tony Tony