Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Headliners - GB News comedy

Started by sevendaughters, January 21, 2022, 05:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

OK, I recognise some of these - Rhona Cameron, we all know Mark Dolan's trajectory, Simon Evans, see Leo Kearse a couple of times. From Chortle:

QuoteIts executive producer is comic and writer Andrew Doyle, the creator of spoof social justice warrior Titania McGrath who also hosts his own programme on GB News, Free Speech Nation.

Headliners has three alternating hosts: Mark Dolan, Simon Evans and Dominic Frisby.

And now confirmed as the rotating panel of comedians offering comments on the next day's headlines are: Steve N Allen, Rhona Cameron, Nick Dixon, Andrew Doyle, Josh Howie, Leo Kearse, Sajeela Kershi, Erich McElroy, Diane Spencer and Ian Stone.

And here's a sampling of what we're going to get:

Vital corollary to lib bias? Radical commissioning? Better than you thought?

MarkyMark2000

The weakest and most translucent attempt at box-ticking from the gammongoaders yet. Fuck this shit.

mrspangles

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 21, 2022, 05:18:35 PM

OK, I recognise some of these - Rhona Cameron, we all know Mark Dolan's trajectory, Simon Evans, see Leo Kearse a couple of times. From Chortle:

And here's a sampling of what we're going to get:

Vital corollary to lib bias? Radical commissioning? Better than you thought?

Turns out doing stuff off the cuff isn't that easy. Simon Evans looks lost.

mippy

Small Man Big Horse

Genuinely shocked that Sajeela Kershi is part of it, I know her really well (or at least thought I did) and am amazed she'd have anything to do with the channel. Maybe it's a money thing, I know times have been tough for people in the comedy industry, but I'm still in a state of dismay.

up_the_hampipe

The production quality of these GB News shows look like they're set up next door to the Babestation studios.

Kankurette

So they've got some tokens. Nice.

Captain Z

Oh dear, isn't this exactly the kind of left-wing, anti-Britain comedy the gammons imagine the BBC is full of?

bgmnts

Quite surprised this would be pure shit to be honest.

The grifters are getting paid though so who cares.

Pink Gregory

Has Mark Dolan ever said or done a single amusing thing.

Ron Superior

That Nick Dixon is the one from a while ago who made some headlines for saying he couldn't get any gigs cos he was a straight white male, so he's had a result.

His pinned tweet for ages was a "comedian destroys heckler" video, where literally all he does is call her a Karen then pretend to do a mic drop.

This is no doubt going to be shit but everyone involved can just brush off all legitimate criticism as the left having a problem with them.

dissolute ocelot

Fuck that clip is awful. Even aside from the absence of jokes or anything interesting, the way he is rambling and losing track of what he's saying, and his monotonous voice, I don't believe anyone would want to watch it. Ronnie Corbett wasn't really rambling aimlessly, guys, you can't just mumble in a monotone and expect to be acclaimed as comedy legends!

Nor surprised at all that a scruple-free cunt like Dolan would end up on a platform like this. He started off on Balls Of Steel after all.

It's GB News anyway, so no-one except the headbanger crowd will ever see it

Hasn't this been on for a few weeks?

I expect that, like most stuff on GB News, it's just spectacularly boring.

That Chortle piece contains almost apologetic quotes from Andrew Doyle saying that it won't be full of gags - which is certainly evident from last night's show on YouTube.

At least Simon Evans and Ian Stone (and presumably Rhona Cameron) know how to craft a joke. Whereas Nick Dixon is fucking atrocious - turn up to any beginners' comedy night and you'll see plenty of acts better than him. Leo Kearse is rotten too - you'd think someone who's been on the circuit for so long might've worked out by now that you're meant to be funny.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ron Superior on January 21, 2022, 09:50:24 PMHis pinned tweet for ages was a "comedian destroys heckler" video, where literally all he does is call her a Karen then pretend to do a mic drop.

The best bit to that is that he decided the outro music should've been The Next Episode.

If there was a modern-day millenial-partridge that's the sort of thing he'd do.

easytarget

Left to Right:
Poundland David Cross, Privately Educated "another fing abaht birds, right", Poundland Chris Hardwick, 3rd funniest salesman in Kirkby Carphone Warehouse, your least favourite English teacher who uses sarcasm in place of wit, Posh Alexie Sayle, guy who got into stand up six months ago - big fan of George Carlin (not for the right reasons), Michael Gove, Edited the ents guide at uni so "I think I *know* what's funny", Recently exhumed David Baddiel, Poundland Lee Mack

The Late Satoru Iwata

Ferris

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 21, 2022, 07:01:00 PMHas Mark Dolan ever said or done a single amusing thing.

His comb-forward is a thing of beauty.

Almost got away with it!

Famous Mortimer

Imagine willingly paying money to see Mark Dolan do comedy.

The Late Satoru Iwata

I wonder how Lee Hurst is taking this?

easytarget

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 22, 2022, 03:35:30 AMI wonder how Lee Hurst is taking this?
Him and The Get Up Kids are exchanging texts on what its like to be left out from something all your peers are doing.

Ron Superior

This is really a good demonstration of the whole GB News/right wing comedy thing I general.

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewdoyle_com/status/1484680412429443075

Andrew Doyle can say that all the tweets in response to the announcement - along with actual footage of the show - is people being outraged that the show should be allowed to exist from people who haven't even watched it, when in truth it's actually just people saying "they're a bunch of unfunny people and those clips they've chosen to represent the show aren't funny or good".

Then in future he can just refer back to people being outraged from the start, further proving that he's doing something important. Facts don't matter, just dogged determination and a following willing to support you even though your work isn't good, just cos they're on your side.

phantom_power

It's funny that someone provided evidence of this "unhinged" response and it was just people using the word "Gammon" and calling all the people on the roster "conservatives". And they call other people snowflakes

wrec

That clip has the ambience and tone of regional football punditry. Funny to think of anyone forcing themselves to sit through it in the spirit of "at last, some hilarious topical comedy that tells it like it is, unencumbered with woke nonsense".

pupshaw

Quote from: Ron Superior on January 22, 2022, 09:49:10 AMThis is really a good demonstration of the whole GB News/right wing comedy thing I general.

I'm blocked. Never even been on his feed before. Can he just block everybody? Why bother with Twitter at all then?

jobotic

Quote from: wrec on January 22, 2022, 12:06:51 PMThat clip has the ambience and tone of regional football punditry. Funny to think of anyone forcing themselves to sit through it in the spirit of "at last, some hilarious topical comedy that tells it like it is, unencumbered with woke nonsense".

Yeah I like that. You've picked your side and now you have to watch this dross and pretend to yourself that you're enjoying it. Bad luck.

Ferris

Quote from: wrec on January 22, 2022, 12:06:51 PMThat clip has the ambience and tone of regional football punditry. Funny to think of anyone forcing themselves to sit through it in the spirit of "at last, some hilarious topical comedy that tells it like it is, unencumbered with woke nonsense".

Ultimately if people are watching something desperately weak out of a sense of misguided moral obligation, that audience will dissolve pretty quick.

If it's not entertaining, people will go elsewhere regardless of how pandering it may be and it'll be put to sleep. An act of mercy. At that point doyle and co can bleat about being canceled and how you can't even do anything any more.

I mean, pro-tory comedy. Honestly.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ron Superior on January 22, 2022, 09:49:10 AMThis is really a good demonstration of the whole GB News/right wing comedy thing I general.

Andrew Doyle can say that all the tweets in response to the announcement - along with actual footage of the show - is people being outraged that the show should be allowed to exist from people who haven't even watched it, when in truth it's actually just people saying "they're a bunch of unfunny people and those clips they've chosen to represent the show aren't funny or good".

Then in future he can just refer back to people being outraged from the start, further proving that he's doing something important. Facts don't matter, just dogged determination and a following willing to support you even though your work isn't good, just cos they're on your side.

Ron Superior

Yeah, Andrew Doyle is currently defending the show in that thread with the argument that, well, it's not supposed to be that funny.

On a more positive note, it's good to be reminded of this sketch:
https://twitter.com/SirDBH/status/1484810665365852162?t=Zbx3A7ffo0tCK0w5nWSHRA&s=19