Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joe Rogan the fucking ape

Started by bgmnts, January 25, 2022, 01:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I put this in comedy advisedly because he's about as funny as brain cancer to me but he is technically a comedian. I thought this was a cool move by Neil Young:

www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jan/25/neil-young-demands-spotify-remove-his-music-over-joe-rogan-vaccine-misinformation

I don't really care about culture war internet bullshit but Rogan does seem to have a huge following that could spill out into the mainstream and he's a genuine div. Maybe the weed and DMT and whatever else he consumes has fucked his brain up but I'm amazed he's getting away with it.

It's also made me a bit gutted having Spotify as it's the only app I really use consistently, are there any good alternatives? God knows.

gilbertharding

There's already a thread about this with replies in Oscillations, because Young's a musician. And I mentioned it in a thread in the Covid sub forum... so...

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry, wrong thread

(as in I posted by mistake in this, not a reply to either of the previous posters)

Glebe

bgmnts

Oops sorry I didnt see that thread.

QDRPHNC

gilbertharding

ProvanFan

I can't enjoy DMT anymore because of its toxic fanbase

BritishHobo

If it's comedy you want, there's quite a funny bloke on TikTok (yeah, I know) who does edits where he's explaining kid's films and things like Santa Claus to Rogan, blowing his ape brain:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZML86m3qw/

buttgammon

He's a comedian! I honestly never knew; all I know is he's a scumbag and I've somehow successfully managed to only hear about his cuntery from second-hand sources.

jobotic

Is he a comedian? In the sense that all those aplha male Yanks that appear on each other's podcasts are comedians? Do any of them make comedy?

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2022, 01:05:04 PMIt's also made me a bit gutted having Spotify as it's the only app I really use consistently, are there any good alternatives? God knows.

Steal music using Soulseek, sync it to Plex server, pay £4 a month for PlexAmp app. It's a bit more faff but fuck all the other big companies.

Bandcamp is great but aside from buying directly from current/active artists/labels (which I do when I can afford it) I often wonder how much of whatever you spend on older music on there actually goes to the artists. So I don't bother.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 25, 2022, 02:08:05 PMIf it's comedy you want, there's quite a funny bloke on TikTok (yeah, I know) who does edits where he's explaining kid's films and things like Santa Claus to Rogan, blowing his ape brain:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZML86m3qw/

That was quite lovely, actually. I like his voice.

mippy

Pissed off that Rogan's arsery is spoiling Newsradio for me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 25, 2022, 02:32:40 PMBandcamp is great but aside from buying directly from current/active artists/labels (which I do when I can afford it) I often wonder how much of whatever you spend on older music on there actually goes to the artists. So I don't bother.

If it's old music then I think if it's on the artists own page you can probably assume they're getting the cash, if it's on the page of a record label then not so much. I do like Bandcamp, I buy all my music from there if I can (Bandcamp Friday actually got me buying more music than I usually would), the app isn't great, though.

Dog Botherer

sorry to tell ya bgmnts but Rogan is 100% mainstream these days. biggest podcast in the US, if you're a male under 40 you know who he is and are likely a fan or have listened to his show. hell i guy i work with who's pushing 70 brought him up the other day.

i do think a lot more people take what he says with a grain of salt than people who panic a bit about his misinformation think. a lot of what he says is manifestly stupid and self contradicting and it doesn't take a genius to spot it. he's probably the closest equivalent to a modern shock jock.

gulag though. no question. get the cunt binned.

imitationleather

You only have to look at a picture of the guy to know that nothing he says should be listened to.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 25, 2022, 03:42:09 PMsorry to tell ya bgmnts but Rogan is 100% mainstream these days. biggest podcast in the US, if you're a male under 40 you know who he is and are likely a fan or have listened to his show. hell i guy i work with who's pushing 70 brought him up the other day.

i do think a lot more people take what he says with a grain of salt than people who panic a bit about his misinformation think. a lot of what he says is manifestly stupid and self contradicting and it doesn't take a genius to spot it. he's probably the closest equivalent to a modern shock jock.

gulag though. no question. get the cunt binned.

Do you think it's him people especially listen to, or do folks generally like a long form podcast and that's one of few on offer (can only think of Lex Friedman who goes 3+ hours).

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: mippy on January 25, 2022, 03:24:01 PMPissed off that Rogan's arsery is spoiling Newsradio for me.

Hopefully you can rest on the loveliness of Dave Foley, Stephen Root and Phil Hartman (rest his soul).

beanheadmcginty

Chalk me down as someone else who didn't know he was a comedian. For some reason I thought he was a retired MMA fighter or kickboxer or something like that.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 25, 2022, 04:40:28 PMChalk me down as someone else who didn't know he was a comedian. For some reason I thought he was a retired MMA fighter or kickboxer or something like that.
Same here.  I think he just talks about it a lot.

Old Thrashbarg

He's a commentator for UFC. Or was, the last time I watched, which was quite a few years ago.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 25, 2022, 04:40:28 PMChalk me down as someone else who didn't know he was a comedian. For some reason I thought he was a retired MMA fighter or kickboxer or something like that.

He was a MMA commentator I think. Never heard any of it so can't say whether he had any more of a grasp on that than he appears to for general conversation.

I guess Neil's stuff will be gone from Spotify soon then.

Video Game Fan 2000

For someone's thats been both an actor and a commentator, its impressive how bad he is at feigning interest in things that aren't UFOs or right wing conspiracy theories.

He doesn't even succeed at the conceit of hearing all sides. He staring off into the middle distance and asking boring podcast questions until someone says Kissinger mines bitcoin on Mars then he's all woah wow I read about this

Dog Botherer

Quote from: The Ombudsman on January 25, 2022, 03:50:25 PMDo you think it's him people especially listen to, or do folks generally like a long form podcast and that's one of few on offer (can only think of Lex Friedman who goes 3+ hours).

yeah i think it's mostly the brand he's built, he was relatively early on the podcast trend and built a rep as an iconoclast who's willing to bridge the divide and listen to both sides. kinda led to him cornering the market and due to most people being a bit lazy about the media they consume they just gravitated to him.

it's only a matter of time til he pushes too far in one direction or the other and fucks it. might already have with the covid stuff.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on January 25, 2022, 05:01:03 PMHe was a MMA commentator I think. Never heard any of it so can't say whether he had any more of a grasp on that than he appears to for general conversation.

Joe Rogan is quite amazing in that he's probably the most enthusiastic follower of MMA on Earth, he's attended more fights and learned from more fighters than anyone else alive and for the last 15 years he's basically done fuck all but take drugs and study martial arts...

...and he still consistently gets absolutely everything wrong. If you hear Joe Rogan yell "THAT'S ON TIGHT, THAT'S IT" then there's 0 submission threat, and if he starts espousing "What he needs to do..." then it's safe to say the fighter should do the exact opposite. Guys he talks up as a fuckin' saaaavage will gas out and die, anyone he claims is like, just, so technical will eat jabs like popcorn and get choked out like a whitebelt.

He seemed fairly knowledgeable back in the early days of the UFC, when only a handful of people knew what BJJ was and Mike Goldberg was next to him bellowing absolute non-sequiturs, but nowadays he's an amusingly moronic relic. Also famously tetchy about being a shortarse.

The Culture Bunker

I remain grateful to whoever it was on here that tipped me off to Aamon Animations on youtube, who takes the piss out of Joe Rogan very well:

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 25, 2022, 07:30:06 PMI remain grateful to whoever it was on here that tipped me off to Aamon Animations on youtube, who takes the piss out of Joe Rogan very well:

Hah, that's great! Eerily similar to the real thing.

---

I don't listen unless it's someone I'm vaguely interested in (it's been a couple of years), but I do agree that the format and its popularity is unique and serves a purpose. People let their guards down considerably after the first hour or so, and I think the "bad guys" are often offered plenty of rope to hang themselves with. It's the only time I've seen Jones not manage to recover from someone calling him out, because Rogan made sure to have each bit of his "evidence" pulled up live on air, which was far less easily achieved in the context of his broader media appearances where he could basically rant for three minutes straight and then bow out.

Of course it gets a little complicated with people like Robert Malone (who seems to be the reason for this recent controversy), because Rogan will defer to the authority of anyone with some letters after their name. But he's a comedian/MMA commentator/TV presenter out of his depth, so he probably should defer to authority when it comes to subjects he knows nothing about. Yer Milos and Joneses are basically on the same level as he is, so he feels comfortable challenging them, but someone like Robert Malone is more qualified to talk about mRNA technology than Rogan (or almost any interviewer) is, even though his theories are controversial and rightly questioned by other scientists. Meanwhile, Rogan has had countless Eddie Bravos and whoever that bloke who appeared alongside Dave Chappelle was spouting far more ill-informed and outright mad theories, but they went sort of under the radar because the people spouting them were clearly idiots who surely nobody would take seriously.

It's a bit disheartening that the first response is to try and get it all deleted (Neil Young) rather than challenge it comprehensively (actual scientists), but that's something we're going to have to get used to. For all the criticism of Rogan being out of his depth and talking about things he's ill-informed on, I don't know that Neil Young's in a much better position than he is - especially since he's a musician with a long-standing hatred of Spotify and who tried (and failed) to launch his own rival service (and had no misgivings about asking Donald Trump for support, by the way).

TL;DR - celebrities are dickheads and always have been.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 25, 2022, 07:15:18 PMit's only a matter of time til he pushes too far in one direction or the other and fucks it.

I think it's more that he has chosen to chase the anti vax/conspiracy theory fanbase and has fucked it with a lot of middle to left wing types. I haven't listened to a word out of his mouth in at least 3 years and only endured him because certain interesting people would show up on his show and if they were showing up in other places it wasn't apparent to me.

So people like Andy Dick or Dave Foley would do cracking interviews and I don't recall them being on stuff like RHLSTP etc. Then around Covid or maybe a bit before you'd get blowhard idiots like Alex Jones showing up, sometimes multiple times in a year it seemed. And I'm thinking Alex Jones is an idiot scam artist who's completely full of shit. What on Earth could Rogan or the listeners gain from talking to that wobbling ringpiece even once, let alone more than that? Then Bob Lazerbeam is going on about being in Area 51 and Dan Akyroyd is talking guff about aliens being real.

Stuff like that seemed to be more frequent. That was a sign the tinfoil hats were taking over Rogan and it lost all value for a lot of people. Rogan being anti vax, getting Covid and taking Ivermectin was probably the last straw for loads of people and confirmed the worst. But he's the 100 million dollar man, he must have done something right to get that kind of money, right?