Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joe Rogan the fucking ape

Started by bgmnts, January 25, 2022, 01:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

I still think his best stuff involved interviewing comedians. Some of his early Bill Burr or Doug Stanhope podcasts were great. One has gone completely missing from the internet, but it involved a very drunk Stanhope sounding borderline suicidal. About how all his (relative) fame and his ability to forge his own path in comedy still hadn't filled the hole. I couldn't imagine anything more honest and genuine appearing on any other podcast, it's the kind of thing that appears after 3 hours of non-stop drinking and chatting. A beautiful thing it was, as well. It made you feel less alone to know that one of your infallible comedy gods (on a completely different plane) was feeling exactly what you feel in your own situation.

Compare and contrast to their most recent (post-Austin) podcast together and ... God, it's horrible. Now you're watching two friends who've known each other since the beginning of their adult lives but who have drifted lightyears apart from one another. Fascinating, but horrible.

chveik

Spiteface

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on January 25, 2022, 05:01:03 PMHe was a MMA commentator I think. Never heard any of it so can't say whether he had any more of a grasp on that than he appears to for general conversation.

I guess Neil's stuff will be gone from Spotify soon then.

Wasn't he one of the people who sold off his back catalogue recently?

Can he even get his stuff taken off Spotify if that's the case?

Video Game Fan 2000

The Alex Jones interview is very enlightening because Jones puts in zero effort to seeming like he believes any of the shit he says, he's relaxed and in provocateur mode. Just spewing shit out. But Rogan nods and agrees anyway so long as the John Birch madlibs is phrased in a vaguely libertarian way.

It's the entire right wing media ecosystem reduced to a circular flowchart with two nodes.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2022, 08:21:53 PMI still think his best stuff involved interviewing comedians.

Maybe not just comedians, but more people in entertainment. For instance the Billy Corgan interview a while ago I thought was fantastic. How can you get insight like that when you're interviewing a bunch of people nobody has heard of about thermodynamic reality bubbles or horse dewormer? Mumbo jumbo isn't that interesting but seems to form the foundation of the podcast now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 25, 2022, 08:12:23 PMDan Akyroyd is talking guff about aliens being real.

Aliens, ghosts, cars, motorbikes and his vodka range. They're the only things Dan Aykroyd will ever talk about in interviews. I find him quite endearing, to be honest, his daffy obsessions aren't particularly harmful.

Well, that's not strictly true. Encouraging vulnerable people to believe that mediums can contact their dead loved ones is obviously not a good or healthy thing. But Aykroyd does actually believe this stuff. He's not a grifting charlatan, he's well-meaning yet deluded.

That's not much of a defence, is it? Oh well. Post.

idunnosomename

wonder what name he posts on here as

ProvanFan

wrec

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2022, 07:53:08 PMIt's a bit disheartening that the first response is to try and get it all deleted (Neil Young) rather than challenge it comprehensively (actual scientists), but that's something we're going to have to get used to. For all the criticism of Rogan being out of his depth and talking about things he's ill-informed on, I don't know that Neil Young's in a much better position than he is - especially since he's a musician with a long-standing hatred of Spotify and who tried (and failed) to launch his own rival service (and had no misgivings about asking Donald Trump for support, by the way).

TL;DR - celebrities are dickheads and always have been.

- Ivermectin! Debate me sir
- Young is biased against the notoriously unethical streaming service that is now funding military AI
- the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The Ombudsman

I guess it will be interesting to see if his old time pals go anyway to distance themselves from him. I've noticed he's not had Eddy Bravo on since he left LA, I really wonder what is going on there. Once I thought he was getting sick of Bravos tin foil hat obsessions like flat-earth and stuff. Now I'd bet they would be two peas in a pod again.

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2022, 07:53:08 PMIt's a bit disheartening that the first response is to try and get it all deleted (Neil Young) rather than challenge it comprehensively (actual scientists)

How would that work? Splice scientists into Rogan's podcasts, saying "no, that's bollocks, here is how it really works"? Because that's the only way the thicker end of his demographic will listen to it. A bunch of shaking heads off to one side is going to get ignored. Pressure for Spotify to get rid of this fucking moron who's getting people killed seems fine to me.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Mister Six on January 25, 2022, 10:21:55 PMHow would that work? Splice scientists into Rogan's podcasts, saying "no, that's bollocks, here is how it really works"? Because that's the only way the thicker end of his demographic will listen to it. A bunch of shaking heads off to one side is going to get ignored. Pressure for Spotify to get rid of this fucking moron who's getting people killed seems fine to me.

I think having a pre-recorded statement at the beginning and end of the show saying this is all for entertainment purposes only would help. Something like this should not be used for medical advice, consult your GP if you are concerned with any of the topics from this episode.

idunnosomename

dropkick this meathead into the sea and hope he hits a rock on the way down

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2022, 01:05:04 PMI put this in comedy advisedly because he's about as funny as brain cancer to me but he is technically a comedian.

I know he's revealed himself to be a bit of a prick to crew but this clip of Jeff Garlin telling Rogan he's a hack is pretty glorious.

chip

I'm a casual listener of JRE. I don't love (or understand) how much he seems to annoy people, but it does shamefully please me to know he's not going anywhere. Like you know it's easy to just listen to the episodes with great comedians like Dillon or Normand, and enjoy some lighthearted background for three hours?

I wouldn't personally listen to the ones with scientists or ring fighters, cos they don't sound entertaining at all, and it's clear (in the former case) that Joe is out of his depth - but to hate him for that? Because some of the sort of hypothetical people who would take health advice from an elk-hunting MMA commentator then hypothetically succumbed to Covid? Make it make sense, please.

BeardFaceMan

I remember seeing clips of his stuff on the old Sacred Cow website, that was where I first saw him and I found it mind-boggling that he was sharing a space with someone like Bill Hicks, his stand up was fucking embarrassing. And there were no jokes in the preview for his show, it was just a montage of grunting and shouting and stool-fucking.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 25, 2022, 11:00:52 PMI know he's revealed himself to be a bit of a prick to crew but this clip of Jeff Garlin telling Rogan he's a hack is pretty glorious.

Jesus Christ, this makes Rogan look like an inept Daniel Songer tribute act.

Dr Rock

He's possibly the worst stand-up I've ever seen

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 26, 2022, 01:19:57 PMHe's possibly the worst stand-up I've ever seen

Agreed. It always made me cringe hearing him talk about 'working on his craft' and 'exploring the process'. You mime fucking thin air pal, give it a rest.

Pink Gregory

idunnosomename

The clip of him with Professor Kermit is incredible.
I mean one, it's incredibly racist, but like, it's the sheer immaturity of two white dudes thinking theyre the first people to have noticed that black people arent all literally black in colour

https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/1486108847412588553

evilcommiedictator

Mind you, him talking recently with Jordan Peterson shows what unimaginable intellectual heavyweights they are
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1486103450446303234

No need to question him, no need to apply even the most basic of thinking to his statements, just let them slide.

I won't believe in climate change, until the number of albino koalas are added into the models.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 26, 2022, 11:48:16 PMMind you, him talking recently with Jordan Peterson shows what unimaginable intellectual heavyweights they are
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1486103450446303234

No need to question him, no need to apply even the most basic of thinking to his statements, just let them slide.

I won't believe in climate change, until the number of albino koalas are added into the models.

To be fair, that clip cuts off right after Rogan questions him. Mind you, I also have absolutely no idea what Peterson was on about either. Wouldn't know where to start.

imitationleather

Why is Peterson dressed as a ventriloquist's dummy?

As soon as I saw his outfit I was like, "Ah, so he's still on the benzos then."

Sebastian Cobb

Speaking of Rogan and apes, this happened to crop up in another place's 'joe rogan is a prick' thread today:

bit yikes innit.

Petey Pate

I cannot listen to Jordan Peterson and not think of Brad Neely's character Frank from the Professor Brothers/China IL. They even both did a series of lectures on The Bible.

SteveDave

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 27, 2022, 09:43:26 AMI cannot listen to Jordan Peterson and not think of Brad Neely's character Frank from the Professor Brothers/China IL. They even both did a series of lectures on The Bible.

trite but i just think of kermit

chveik

best think zizek ever did was to send this cunt into a coma