Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Barry Cryer's had his last tea

Started by bobloblaw, January 27, 2022, 10:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

oh man, Barry Cryer's died. Has anyone else so effortlessly traversed the generations of comedy, embracing the new from the 'alternative' scene to today's acts while continuing to plough his own furrow as a self-confessed old fart?

Pink Gregory

aw, was always going to happen soon, but still, sad.

Still blows my mind that he wrote with Richard Pryor

Glebe

Aw no. The Grand Old Man of British Comedy. Just Watched Kenny Everett horror comedy Bloodbath at the House of Death a little while ago, which he co-scripted (and cameos in). Rest in Peace Barry, hope you and Rushton are have a merry old dance into the night up there in comedy heaven.

Chudraa

Cryer was such a joy to listen to who clearly loved comedy. His enhusiasm was infectious. Poor old Barry.

Petey Pate

Sad news.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 27, 2022, 10:08:45 AMaw, was always going to happen soon, but still, sad.

Still blows my mind that he wrote with Richard Pryor

By his own admission, it wasn't really writing with him but just giving him advice on how to make his material work for British audiences ('say pavement, don't say sidewalk', etc). He also did this for Jack Benny and other American comedians when they were working in the UK. Still, makes the list of people he collaborated with pretty unique, can't think of anyone else with connections to some of the biggest names in comedy on both sides of the Atlantic. No wonder why he became known as the master of the 'showbiz anecdote'.

Petey Pate

Can't remember where I heard it, but there's a funny story where Barry Cryer ran into Stewart Lee somewhere at the Edinburgh Fringe and blanked him after he'd said hello. Lee was miffed by this and asked what was going on. Barry then turns to him and says 'I've heard you've been doing my vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ routine'.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 27, 2022, 10:23:23 AMCan't remember where I heard it, but there's a funny story where Barry Cryer ran into Stewart Lee somewhere at the Edinburgh Fringe and blanked him after he'd said hello. Lee was miffed by this and asked what was going on. Barry then turns to him and says 'I've heard you've been doing my vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ routine'.

Awesome.

Very sad there won't be any more of his terrific new podcast https://shows.acast.com/now-where-were-we

madhair60

his sad loss has indeed made "cryer"'s of us all. RIP

imitationleather

pigamus

Lovely fella, we won't see his like again. RIP.

Alberon

I went to see a show with Lee Mack, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon a few years back which was basically them swapping stories and answering questions from the audience. Barry Cryer was in the audience and had a laugh with them for a bit. Not that I didn't enjoy the show, but I'd like to have seen him on stage.

He was one of the greats.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Very sad news.

Goodbye, Cheeky 😓

rilk

Aw man, really gutted about this. Saw him perform/tell stories with Ronnie Golden in Walthamstow Trades Hall last year which was an absolute delight, this godlike presence having a "medicinal fag" out the front as the punters piled in, the love for him was immense. His recent podcast had been a joy as well.

And as the king of the obituary, who are they gonna get for his on BBC news tonight?

Brundle-Fly

SpiderChrist

Crying. This has hit me harder than I ever could have thought it would. Fucking hell. RIP Baz, you funny old bastard.

beanheadmcginty

There is no one in the world I would have liked more to have heard laughing at a joke I told than old Bazza.

Ignatius_S

Sad news - I'm at the Slapstick Festival and the announcement after the morning event was how I heard. The family had embargoed the news until this afternoon, but someone thoughtfully put it out on Twitter.

Sounds like there will be a tribute to one of this evening's events - there was one planned with Cryer in March, so hopefully that will go on as a tribute.

grainger

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 27, 2022, 10:23:23 AMCan't remember where I heard it, but there's a funny story where Barry Cryer ran into Stewart Lee somewhere at the Edinburgh Fringe and blanked him after he'd said hello. Lee was miffed by this and asked what was going on. Barry then turns to him and says 'I've heard you've been doing my vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ routine'.

When I saw Lee do that show, he came back on after the applause and did a very brief encore about Cryer. The show has a theme of Joe Pasquale stealing other comedians' material, and that finally Lee has a routine that can't be stolen. Anyway, when he came back on, Lee (seemingly) ad-libbed a bit about Cryer stealing the Christ routine from him (or maybe that he stole it from Cryer). Presumably that's what Cryer was referring to in the quote above. Did Lee do the Cryer encore at other shows on that tour?

kalowski

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 27, 2022, 11:01:27 AMBarry Dier
I was going to make this joke but remembered that I'm not a heartless bastard laughing at the death of a fantastic entertainer.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Chudraa on January 27, 2022, 10:10:54 AMCryer was such a joy to listen to who clearly loved comedy. His enhusiasm was infectious. Poor old Barry.

Absolutely this. Someone who just really loved comedy, and who had one of the best laughs - HYAK-YAK-YAK.

RIP Barry.

Galeee

Sebastian Cobb

I'd love to know what he actually helped Richard Pryor write.

I know writers often write stuff different to their act but it does seem quite incongruous.

The Guppy

"Hey Rich, you've seen Superman, right?"

Kankurette

Awww, no. Hope he and Humphrey Lyttleton and Willie Rushton are having a larf in the afterlife.

Glebe

Loved the way he'd scrunch up his eyes during his many anecdotes!

Petey Pate

Quote from: Kankurette on January 27, 2022, 03:28:56 PMAwww, no. Hope he and Humphrey Lyttleton and Willie Rushton are having a larf in the afterlife.

Don't forget Tim Brooke Taylor.

Actually, this made it occur to me that Graham is the last remaining classic ISIHAC panelist...

Head Gardener

Barry made a couple of records in the late 50's including a cover of Sheb Wooley's The Purple People Eater this is the rare 78rpm R.I.P.