Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld thread 966966844758

Started by madhair60, March 22, 2024, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddy72

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dr Rock

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on March 26, 2024, 11:23:40 AMit was like when that lunatic mollusk was pretending Jeff was never funny in Curb, when someone has been a bad'un you have to pretend they were never even talented so that people will think you are a good person

I did this purely to cover for all the awful and inexcusable things I have done in my own life

gilbertharding

Quote from: madhair60 on March 26, 2024, 02:49:38 PMis it weird that i like Jerry Seinfeld and part of that is because of his absolute unflinching commitment to rampant unapologetic egotism? I suppose I quite like that in a performer. I also think he's funny, and interesting with it.

I agree - but it's also good and interesting that despite his rampant ego, that in the sitcom Seinfeld he plays a less successful version of himself, and his friends are all scornful of his career - some of the best lines are the other characters taking the piss out of his comedy. I suppose that's probably just false modesty, but it's still convincing, and funny.

And as someone else pointed out, part of the joy is watching him enjoying the performances of the others... very often in the reverse angle shots you can see him just grinning.

These pretzels are making me racist!

madhair60

midway through season 3 and this show is just fantastic, it's firing on all cylinders, and thinking about it getting even better is borderline intimidating. Everyone is perfect. I just saw the Subway episode and Kramer getting a win in the end was genuinely heartwarming. I clipped a scene that made me laugh way more than I expected, but I'm not sure I can host it here... let me try something...

thr0b

I like that Jerry has a nice day out with the naked man in the end.

thr0b

Also, really helps that around season 3 or 4, they got use of a standing NYC street set. Gives them lots of scope for action in the neighbourhood.

And look out for judicious use of stunt-double Kramer for scenes which were filmed in NYC proper. The wig is tremendous.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2024, 11:14:33 AMI clipped a scene that made me laugh way more than I expected

Yes! I've always loved that moment.

buttgammon

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2024, 11:14:33 AMmidway through season 3 and this show is just fantastic, it's firing on all cylinders, and thinking about it getting even better is borderline intimidating. Everyone is perfect. I just saw the Subway episode and Kramer getting a win in the end was genuinely heartwarming. I clipped a scene that made me laugh way more than I expected, but I'm not sure I can host it here... let me try something...

That's a great scene from a brilliant episode.

madhair60

this show gets so fucking crazy across season 3 and into 4.

I'm just scrolling through the list of episodes. It's unbelievable how good the show was all the way to the end. It didn't end on an absolute high note episode-wise but Season 9 as a whole might be my favourite.

Quote from: convulsivespace on March 30, 2024, 12:35:12 AMI'm just scrolling through the list of episodes. It's unbelievable how good the show was all the way to the end. It didn't end on an absolute high note episode-wise but Season 9 as a whole might be my favourite.

Actually Season 8 might edge it out. Incredible.

QDRPHNC

Is season 4 the Jerry season?

"Because he's myyyy butler!"

madhair60

i have a maybe controversial Seinfeld criticism

Newman is slightly too histrionic to be believable and whenever he shows up i sort of internally sigh

QDRPHNC

It may be controversial, but I agree with it for the most part. Wayne Knight is often very funny, but he often comes across as quite ... I don't know what the word is. Hammy? Like even in the reality of the show, Newman seems to be acting to an extent, and he overdoes the histrionics, like you say.

Although I will forever love him in the scene where he's in court over his parking ticket. My friend, WHO IS SITTING RIGHT OVER THERE, saw the whole thing.

stranger

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 30, 2024, 12:38:52 AM"Because he's myyyy butler!"

One of my favourite lines, it's all in the delivery. Who says Jerry can't act? :D

Also remembered this I'd seen ages ago (possibly from here?). Nicely captures the rhythm of Jerry's stand up.

imitationleather

If you're having issues with Newman at this point fucking hell by the time you get to season 9.

selectivememory

"Maybe there's more to him than meets the eye?"

"No, there's less."

He is definitely over-the-top and probably the most cartoonish of the recurring characters, and I could see why he might annoy some people, but I think he has some great moments over the series. Admittedly my favourite thing about his character is that he inspires some great Jerry putdowns.

13 schoolyards

I always felt that Newman only made sense as Kramer's friend (and therefore part of his world, which was always a bit more over-the-top than the others). Having him hanging around Kramer worked well, having Jerry run into him occasionally as part of his friendship with Kramer was fine, having him have much of anything to do with anyone else was pushing it

Twilkes

Newman is like one of those moustachioed movie villains from the 1920s crossed with a fast talking gangster from the 1950s, all wrapped up in a big baby. I never found him anything other than a positive presence, but the link with Kramer makes sense, as per this interview clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ddyj0RAHs#t=1m13s

dontpaintyourteeth

TheMonk

Can't even imagine those Newman scenes being played lower energy. Wayne Knight does a top job.

buttgammon

The hamminess is the point to Newman. Internally, he's the main character in his own B-movie, with all of the infantile energy that implies.

Gurke and Hare

I like Vargas, the bizarro Newman.

madhair60

my Newman antipathy is mostly based on the court scene in The Ticket which is just a load of shouting that I found grating, but that's a double length episode that followed a two/three part episode so maybe I was just tired

imitationleather

I must add I do really like Newman. He's great and probably my favourite secondary character. But if you don't like his early appearances because they're too OTT, it does not get better for you from there.

LordMorgan

Newman is amazing I do love Wayne knight tho

Fuckin tremendous in JP too

In curb, one of my favourite ever scenes is when Leon is watching Seinfeld rehearsals , Wayne knight enters , and Leon's response to him

"Who is this little fat batard"

Terry Torpid

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 26, 2024, 06:35:27 PMThere are a couple of episodes that developed lines that were meant to be great zingers/kiss offs that rang a bit false ie.

"Anti-dentite" was intended to be a hit phrase, whereas "yada yada" from the same episode ended up having legs.

Quote from: Twilkes on March 23, 2024, 10:05:46 AMThe cast all said at one time or another how generous it was of Jerry not to take centre stage like other people might (cough Raymond cough), he really just cared if the show as a whole was funny, and in the early seasons was quite plainly entertained just watching the cast act in front of him!

Yeah, I like Jerry's amateur acting. It works in context, because he's meant to be above the fray, a bit seperate from his wacky supporting characters. He just watches their antics with barely disguised amusement. He looks like he's genuinely having a good time. Other sitcom characters never find things funny, they're always oblivious to the comedy they're surrounded by, so seeing Jerry smiling at all the jokes, and trying not to laugh, gives the show a sort of realism that you wouldn't get if Jerry was a proper actor who could keep a straight face.

He was obviously aware of his limitations, so he made sure to surround himself with a great cast. He didn't hog the spotlight, he let the other actors shine. And of course he had the best comeback for any criticism of his acting: "I'm playing myself. How can I be bad and being me?" You can't really argue with that.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 30, 2024, 12:51:04 AMIt may be controversial, but I agree with it for the most part. Wayne Knight is often very funny, but he often comes across as quite ... I don't know what the word is. Hammy?

The hamminess is part of the fun. He's the villain of the piece, so it's appropriate he chews the scenery. It's especially funny that such a loquacious character, with a poetic turn of phrase and an aloof demeanour would have such a such a quintessentially blue collar job. It's an amusing mismatch. He's both snob and slob. If he was in a respectable position of authority, like being a big businessman or a judge or something, it wouldn't work. He's especially funny for me because I'm a postal worker too.

Finally, I was shocked when I discovered the (in)famous bass sting wasn't actually a bass guitar, but a keyboard.

Hat fucked.