Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Flegs

Started by Arbiter, March 27, 2024, 06:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underturd

The best flags are ones that have birds or animals on them, if only because it makes them harder to copy. Bavaria is a good one, or Wales, although it means hordes of primary school children ending up in tears because Mrs Blodwen wants them to draw the flag and they're shit at dragons or two headed eagles and wish they lived in Japan.

baptist

Or France during the war.

Zero Gravitas

Having a national flag isn't a representation of genuine historical continuity, it's a falsification of the current society back into the past.

Having said that, battle flags are cool:

QDRPHNC

Best flag is Japan. End of.

Gambrinus

I'm a big fan of New Caledonia and Palau. On phone so can't do pictures easily.

During lockdown I managed to learn every single national flag on Sporcle. Couldn't do it now, the interchangeable blue and white Central American ones and the Arab green/black/white/red ones are a bit confusing without practice.

Glebe

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shaxberd

Quote from: Glebe on March 27, 2024, 03:05:53 PM

The "flag match" stipulation in wrestling is accidental genius, imo. Big sweaty men pretending to fight over bits of cloth. Oh no the non American is waving their flag boooooo. Now the American is waving the Stars and Stripes, yaaaaay. It's nationalism ad absurdum. All national conflicts should be resolved this way.

Arbiter

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 27, 2024, 07:46:10 AMThere's this fantastic resource called the Internet, all your questions can be answered there

I have absolutely no interest in flags

Underturd

Sounds like a false flag, to me

Glebe

gib

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 27, 2024, 07:05:17 AMIf Scotland ever gets independence I suppose we'll have to change the flag. Not if Wales leaves, obv.

Oh hi Australia, Scotland just left so you are going to have to change every flag you have, shouldn't cost too many millions. Yes we know you didn't ask for this but get on with it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Greggs competitor to shut down all bakery outlets due to "disappointing" sales.

dissolute ocelot

Belfast is nice

The Isle of Wight is trying a bit hard

In the USA, New Mexico is reckoned a classic (another sun, but a really cool one)

The original design for Florida is like a shit version of the old Haitian flag

As for Hawaii, oh dear!

jobotic

New idea for Florida

Underturd

What if all the countries had flags, that had pictures of food on them? So Scotland could have a haggis, Wales could have seaweed, Germany could have a sausage, France could have a croissant, USA could have a hotdog, and so on? And now I'm hungry, not for the seaweed though.

Aaron500

In 1989 when the Romanian people turned against Ceaucescu, they cut the communist crest out of the centre of their flag so it just had a circular hole in it and it looked cool af.

I was disappointed when they just filled it in after they'd shot him and his Missus.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 27, 2024, 01:56:27 PMBest flag is Japan. End of.

Of course, switzerlands is a big plus.

Ferris

I live in Halifax. Post-amalgamation (mid '90s) the city's flag was abolished which is a crime against art, basically.

It's like a blue kingfisher having an existential crisis (and maybe buying a yacht?)

Now sadly decommissioned. We don't even have fuckin kingfishers.

popcorn

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 27, 2024, 01:56:27 PMBest flag is Japan. End of.

The "rising sun" version is particularly bitchin', shame it's the Asian equivalent of the Confederate flag.

FeederFan500

TIL the birds on the flag of Sussex each represent a rape.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Ferris on March 27, 2024, 10:06:21 PMI live in Halifax. Post-amalgamation (mid '90s) the city's flag was abolished which is a crime against art, basically.

It's like a blue kingfisher having an existential crisis (and maybe buying a yacht?)

Now sadly decommissioned. We don't even have fuckin kingfishers.

I assume the ships are because it's not in Calderdale. Wonder if the colours are from

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Halifax_(Yorkshire)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ferris on March 27, 2024, 10:06:21 PM

If you kindof squint the ships look like clenched fists, with the arrows indicating direction of movement, basically doing a goatse.

And is that Halifax UK or Nova Scotia?

Ferris

Nova Scotia. The goatse aspect is just one of the good things about this flag.

Quote from: popcorn on March 27, 2024, 10:08:33 PMThe "rising sun" version is particularly bitchin', shame it's the Asian equivalent of the Confederate flag.
You could use the flag of North Macedonia instead for something similar, although it doesn't look as good and it's possibly still controversial because of Macedonian heritage fuckery (it's derived from an ancient Macednnian symbol, and replaced an earlier flag using the actual symbol which Greece complained about).

seepage

The flag of Essex features three seaxes. Seax = Essex - geddit?

Underturd

Looks like someone amputated the Lumiere family's arms.

dissolute ocelot

Bavaria has two flags, of which this is quite jaunty

but the other is just 2 stripes.

The flag of Schleswig-Holstein is just the Netherlands flag upside down.

The Dutch naval flag is also quite fun

And the Cross of Burgundy (flag of the Valois family and battle flag of the Dukes of Burgundy) looks like it could do some damage

Ferris

Quote from: seepage on March 28, 2024, 11:38:03 AMThe flag of Essex features three seaxes. Seax = Essex - geddit?

Woke flag, real world there are only two saexes.

Quote from: seepage on March 28, 2024, 11:38:03 AMThe flag of Essex features three seaxes. Seax = Essex - geddit?
And it's not a coincidental pun – the same Proto-West Germanic root, meaning knife, is the origin of seax and Saxon. The Saxons were named after their knives, and an Old English ancestor of Saxon is the origin of the -sex in Essex, Sussex, Wessex and Middlesex.