Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DO for my BO

Started by asv, May 02, 2007, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asv

I am not that much concerned with preening myself (I am no metrosexual) and I tend to just grab Tesco own deodorant (not Economy range mind).  I sometimes pick up Lynx but remembering back to I'm Alan Partridge 2 it seems to have a "naff" value, the choice of middle-aged failed chat-show host (despite the adverts promising a good love-pump licking from one spray).

So, what deodorant do you use?  And, DO versus anti-perspirant, discuss.

I dont actually have BO btw

buttgammon

I can say with only a  small amount of shame that I use Lynx. But don't worry - it's not Lynx Africa like the Partridge. It is in fact Click that I use. I stopped using Africa shortly after I'm Alan Partridge for completely unconnected reasons.

mothman

I've used Lynx or Sure roll-ons for many years now, although recently I've been using a Nivea one I originally discovered in Italy but was able to find in Asda (and now Tesco).

hencole

The only men who use lynx are prepubescent boys.

If anyone can recommend a good deodrant I would be grateful. I have two choices. If I use a stick, I reduce odour, but not wetness. If I use a spray on I get rid of wetness, but not odour. Short of applying two deodrants any ideas? Also after about 6 motnhs i usuall become alergic to quite few brands.

Edit: One for the 'obvious things I've just realised thread. I've just realised that their probably an obvious difference between an anti perspitrent and a deodrant?

buttgammon

Quote from: "hencole"
Edit: One for the 'obvious things I've just realised thread. I've just realised that their probably an obvious difference between an anti perspitrent and a deodrant?

Isn't the clue in the words? An antiperspirant stops you from sweating and a deodorant covers up the smell if you do sweat profusely and never bother to have a shower or bath.

Lynx smells of sick, and not in a good way.

If you must know, I use Right Guard 'original' antiperspirant under each pit + a squirt of my manperfume of choice. DKNY Man or Be Delicious are the ones I favour at the moment, because they're summer-y. And I've been told by more than one real person that I smell fucking fantastic, thanks.

Mister Six

I use roll-on Sure Sport for men. It dries fast enough and keeps my arms from becoming smelly and sweaty.

Toad in the Hole

I swear by Gilette anti-perspirants.  Any flavour, I'm not fussy.

Suttonpubcrawl

I use Sanex, either of the two sensitive-skin kinds that are available. One is unperfumed, the other has a mild but not too annoying smell. I prefer the unperfumed one but I haven't seen it in my local Sainsbury's recently so I've been using the perfumed one. Either way, it seems to work well but the main reason I use it is that other deodorants seem to irritate my skin and lead to uncomfortable spots developing underneath the skin.

mook

Chanel Egoiste. I smell lovely. And whenever I run out of that, I normally just nick my girlfriends stuff.

no_offenc

I use Mitchum un-sceneted roll on for my armpits, which generally keeps me dry under there forever, and then I generally sparingly use one of many different colognes.  DKNY Be Delicious or l'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme or Bulgari Aqua are all on my list, though I'm after a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed at the mo'.  I had a boss-smelling one last year, only a sample mind, called Aqua Motu or something, which smelled like watermelons crossed with the sea.  Odd combination but it was ace.  That, and Mugler Cologne, which smells like being clean.  Well good.

Ahem.  Sorry.

Mr. Analytical

I use a gillette stick on my pits and I use Molton Brown after-shave stuff on my face/neck and then a quick spray on my clothes.

I find that if I change my clothes and actually bathe then I hardly ever smell.  I still sweat but my sweat isn't all that smelly, it's only if it dries and goes stale that it starts to pong.

Utter Shit

I don't find deodorant particularly relevant other than putting on after you've been indulging in a lovely bit of sport and are likely to be involved with people on your way home. Where deodorant at the start of a long day is concerned, just make sure you wash your pits really well when you're in the shower, finish off with a bit of cold water to stop yourself from sweating straight away, then stick on a tiny bit of deodorant, nothing too overpowering. You don't need a good one (believe me - I paid £16 for a Hugo Boss deodorant in my younger days), the one I'm using cost 85p from Sainsburys and is pretty much a cheap Lynx rip-off.

That's coming from someone who uses a ridiculous array of products, too.

The shower is the most important. Wash thoroughly, a little bit of deodorant, maybe a tiny amount of after-shave to cover any rogue smells that might come out during the hottest part of the day. I  would advise bringing a can of deodorant with you if possible, though - just in case, like.

Utter Shit

Quote from: "Lookalike Mark Chapman"Lynx smells of sick, and not in a good way.

If you must know, I use Right Guard 'original' antiperspirant under each pit + a squirt of my manperfume of choice. DKNY Man or Be Delicious are the ones I favour at the moment, because they're summer-y. And I've been told by more than one real person that I smell fucking fantastic, thanks.
I've never smelt the male version of Be Delicious, the women's one is brilliant though.

What is everyone's perfume of choice?

I've still got an absolute shitload of aftershaves after getting a bit addicted three years or ago...for a few months, I seemed to buy a new one every week - in the long run it's been helpful, as even now I have about ten that still have plenty left, and I'm too broke to buy new ones while I'm a student.

For summer, it simply has to be Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male...for me, this IS the smell of summer. Other nice summer smells are Armani Mania, Joop Jump and I'm still a fan of the old unisex favourites, CK One and CK Be

For winter, I'm a massive fan of Armani Night - that's probably my favourite aftershave full stop. Joop is another nice one, although it's a bit common nowadays, every clown has it. Same can be said of Issey Miyake - lovely smell, but everyone's got it so it loses it's appeal a bit. I've taken to sometimes mixing smells a bit, to create new smells. JPG Le Male with a hint of Boss In Motion is really good. I'd be a fantastic perfume maker.

clareQuilty

Closely crop your pits back with some trimmers. Looks neater, reduces smell. Then use baking soda. Just daub it all over your pits. Maybe add a little bit of lemon juice. Works a treat for those sensitive to chemicals I'm told.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "clareQuilty"Closely crop your pits back with some trimmers. Looks neater, reduces smell. Then use baking soda. Just daub it all over your pits. Maybe add a little bit of lemon juice. Works a treat for those sensitive to chemicals I'm told.

Isn't that dangerous?  doesn't baking soda react to acid?

I second the idea of trimming pits and other hairy bits when the weather gets warmer.

gazzyk1ns

I use the Gilette gel; I used to use the stick but it ruined a couple of T-shirts by making the underarm parts go all white and hard. Pretty fundamental flaw for a deodorant/anti-perspirant to have, really.

I like the idea of that unperfumed Sanex stuff, although as I think a few of us discussed on here a few months back, the body wash Sanex do leaves a bit of a residue so I'm not keen on the brand. I use the Nivea sensitive shaving gel and that's only got a discreet scent but I wish it had none; I don't understand the logic in making shaving gel scented, surely nobody is going to rely on that for any sort of deodorant effect, and so if they want one, they'll already have other arrangements? As it is, you just end up smelling slightly of an additional set of chemicals. I went through a phase of vehemently advocating the use of King Of Shaves shaving oil, but a) out of laziness and forgetfulness I lapsed into buying gel/foam again, and it took me about two months to realise, and b) that oil has its own scent anyway.

Make me smile

Get some Dryclor from Boots, it's a roll on and works like an absolute dream. I could sweat in an igloo and it always does the job for me. A word of warning though, make sure your pits are completely dry before you apply it otherwise it stings like a bastard.

For normal day-to-day I use Dove silk roll on...I know it is meant for the laydeeeees, but it is the best one I have found so far.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I did use Sure for Men for a while but it actually worked too well. My body started panicking about not being able to sweat and it made me all itchy.

I now use Adidas anti-persipirant which seems to strike the right balance, and I'd recommend that.

I've got a few deoderant bottles as well as they tend to have nicer scents than anti-perspirant, but I never combine the two in case something horrible happens.

Go With The Flow

I use Sure for Men. It works for me, unless I go to the gym or go for a long walk. It smells quite nice too. I do like Lynx for on-clothing spray when in work - all the walking about in a hot restaurant can make you sweaty, surprisingly enough. However, I always use the inevitable Lynx boxsets I get for christmas for above purpose, and I've only just ran out now.

Milo

Quote from: "no_offenc"I use Mitchum un-sceneted roll on for my armpits, which generally keeps me dry under there forever

I agree, this stuff is enormously effective.

Captain Crunch

Tepee for my Bunghole!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"I use Sanex, either of the two sensitive-skin kinds that are available.
Seconded, the world of roll-ons is truly a brighter one, I was so tired of starting the day with a sore throat after breathing in some cack deo spray. Sanex appear to be the best of the bunch, and they last forever. Sprays would often leave me with smelly pits on hot days, Sanex hasn't let me down yet.

The Duck Man

Sure for Men roll-on. Don't harm the enviroment or the moles in my armpits y'all.

This thread has confirmed my suspicions that Utter Shit is the CaB resident metrosexual, considering a discussion of deodrant has sent him into a frenzy over perfume, for fuck's sake.

Joking, obviously. No perfume for me though. I prefer to stay manly and womanless.

the midnight watch baboon

Sure Sensitive for men is my lovely DO, all the others seem to bring me out in an axillic rash. Ow! Axillic rash!

Melody Lee

I don't use anything much. From time to time I use whatever's lying around and okay smelling.

I really want something that smells like apples though, or cocoa or cinnamon. I want to smell like something nice rather some shite musk.

-

clareQuilty

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"
Quote from: "clareQuilty"Closely crop your pits back with some trimmers. Looks neater, reduces smell. Then use baking soda. Just daub it all over your pits. Maybe add a little bit of lemon juice. Works a treat for those sensitive to chemicals I'm told.

Isn't that dangerous?  doesn't baking soda react to acid?

I second the idea of trimming pits and other hairy bits when the weather gets warmer.

Ixnay on the explodeay....

Quote from: "Make me smile"For normal day-to-day I use Dove silk roll on...I know it is meant for the laydeeeees, but it is the best one I have found so far.

Yeah, me too; I used my girlfriend's once when I'd run out of my own and it worked miracles. Dry, dry miracles. Pleasingly neutrally-scented too, so you don't smell too much of girliness. Just in case, though, I tend to dowse myself in one of my selection of fragrances/perfumes/EDTs/whatever: Burberry Touch, Givenchy Very Irresitible, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men (this stuff is the sex, BTW), Paco Rabanne XS, Body Shop Arber or Kistna, or Davidoff Echo (which is quite nice but the more I wear it, the more I start thinking I smell like an orangey car air-freshener). I've got a bottle of Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise on the way too, which I wasn't sure about when I first tried it but I've since convinced myself that I'll probably like it. Probably. I've currently got Paco Rabanne XS Black, Burberry Brit and Gucci Pour Homme II on my shopping list. What a tart.

SOTS

Quote from: "hencole"The only men who use lynx are prepubescent boys.

Too true. My friend's little brother uses this or an Adidas sport one. Both of which he sprays all over himself in the bathroom, then gets dressed and sprays all over his clothes. Ghastly stuff.

Quote from: "Melody Lee"I really want something that smells like apples though

I use a fragrance called "DKNY Delicious" and it smells a little bit like apples. It is in an apple shaped bottle.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: "Milo"
Quote from: "no_offenc"I use Mitchum un-sceneted roll on for my armpits, which generally keeps me dry under there forever

I agree, this stuff is enormously effective.

It's too effective, it causes those underskin spots I was mentioning earlier. I get them with most deodorants after using them for a while, but with Mitchum I got them almost instantly and they were worse than usual.