Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vince Cable vs. Rupert Murdoch

Started by CaledonianGonzo, October 10, 2010, 03:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Will Cable have the stones to intervene between the (probable?) merger of BSkyB and News International? 

Apparently the varied branches of the non-NI British media  - the Beeb, the Mail, the Guardian, Telegraph, etc. - are this once joining forces to draft a letter to the Vincemeister asking for the purchase to be referred to Ofcom on the grounds that it jeopardises Britain's media.

Will Vince - a man who owes Murdoch nothing - stand tall when it comes his moment to shine, or well the Tories bend him to their will?

As an aside, for those that missed last week's Dispatches - Tabloids, Tories and Telephone Hacking - it's available here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3129326

Mmmmmm....modern British democracy.

purlieu

After much thought, I've concluded I definitely preferred it being a kid when I wasn't aware of any of this kind of thing.

weirdbeard

In the meantime, here's an ideal opportunity for Al-Qaeda to win Hearts and Minds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/07/rupert-murdoch-thatcher-speech

QuoteRupert Murdoch will deliver a rare public lecture in London later this month in honour of Baroness Thatcher.

The News Corporation chairman and chief executive will make his address on 21 October at an event organised by the Centre for Policy Studies, the rightwing thinktank founded by the former prime minister and the late Keith Joseph, one of her political mentors.

Murdoch will give the inaugural Baroness Thatcher lecture at a key moment for News Corp, which is trying to take full control of pay-TV company BSkyB. He is expected to use the speech, "Free Markets and Free Minds", to praise Thatcher's contribution to the British economy.

biggytitbo

I hope Vince lays a cable right on Murdoch's tits.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Much as everyone in the country I have no faith in anything the Lib Dems say or do.

However in this instance, even if Cable doesn't stand tall, we can't know for sure to what extent he's being leaned on, and the nature of the...err...leaning.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh and we should have nothing to do with any of Murdoch's output or products. Saying 'it's unavoidable' is exactly the sort of attitude that contributed to him eventually gaining domination over the media and using his increased platform to pursue his evil right-wing agenda.

Yeah I said it.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: weirdbeard on October 10, 2010, 04:01:28 PM
In the meantime, here's an ideal opportunity for Al-Qaeda to win Hearts and Minds.

He's giving speeches all over the place at the moment:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/rupert-murdoch-anti-semitism-and-israel_508697.html

actwithoutwords

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 14, 2010, 07:18:42 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/rupert-murdoch-anti-semitism-and-israel_508697.html

EVEN FROM THE URL DEAR GOD NO.

Though, on the other hand, this:

QuoteI can't say I have been chosen by God.  But tonight I can say this:  I am honored to be chosen by His people for this award.

is very funny.

thepuffpastryhangman

Hang on, last week there was no link. In fact Murdoch was cited as an, or indeed the shining example of an independent (of Jewish control) media, yet this week, he's calling 'em "God's people".

Sorry actwithoutwords, it's not Murdoch's address that's funny, it's the folks declaring his impartiality who're truly darkly hilarious.

Still Not George

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on October 14, 2010, 08:19:52 PM
Hang on, last week there was no link. In fact Murdoch was cited as an, or indeed the shining example of an independent (of Jewish control) media, yet this week, he's calling 'em "God's people".

Sorry actwithoutwords, it's not Murdoch's address that's funny, it's the folks declaring his impartiality who're truly darkly hilarious.

Has no-one explained "pandering" to you yet?

thepuffpastryhangman

Oh, the pander clause. Whose back's getting scratched again?

thepuffpastryhangman

The first comment I clicked on the New York Sun item linked from the Standard.

QuoteReader comment on:
Murdoch on Anti-Semitism
Submitted by George Murchio, Oct 14, 2010 15:50

To say, "I am not an anitsemite, I am just an antizionist" is to quibble. A distinction without a difference. Decency demands that we stand with the Jews against the punks and bullies bent on their destruction.

nysun comment 74571

And, quibblers must be accompanied to enter the website...Murdoch on anti-Semitism - NY Sun

EDIT -
QuoteHe (Murdoch) quoted Lawrence Summers' warning, back when he was president of Harvard: "Where anti-Semitism and views that are profoundly anti-Israeli have traditionally been the primary preserve of poorly educated right-wing populists, profoundly anti-Israel views are increasingly finding support in progressive intellectual communities. Serious and thoughtful people are advocating and taking actions that are anti-Semitic in their effect if not their intent."

The owner of the News of the World there.

Still Not George

thepuffpastryhangman

Is that what you believe SNG? That's your explanation for Murdoch openly crawling up the Jewish state's arse is it? And those who were citing NI as 'something different' among media ownership....FFS, yup silence.

And, haha, no noise from folks who suggested there's not some grand agenda...listen to your chairleader, ol Rupert himself, y' Murdoch apologists:

Quote from: Rupert MurdochNow the war has entered a new phase.  This is the soft war that seeks to isolate Israel by delegitimizing it. The battleground is everywhere:  the media ... multinational organizations ... NGOs.

The battleground is everywhere? In the media? Mr Murdoch?

Can any of Murdoch's chummy bedfellows (there's nuff o' ya here, let's be right) explain exactly why Comrade Rupert is turning on "European intellectuals" and snoging with tongues "the gaping ass of" the Jewish state?

Rupert Murdoch's empire, last week's example of media independent of the interests of the Jewish state.
Even when he openly states he's a champion of the Jewish state's interests...nice mates y'got eh.

Mr_Simnock

Anti Semite thread shitter strickes again. Sorry folks, nothing to see here, thread is now de-railed onto a topic not related to it, thread over.

thepuffpastryhangman

Great post Mr Simnock, that explains everything. Rupert'll be glad you're keeping his feet warm.

EDIT - yeah, quoting Murdoch, nothing to do with a thread with his name in the title.

Still, same ol', don't address the facts, play the race card eh.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on October 15, 2010, 10:34:06 AM
Anti Semite thread shitter strickes again. Sorry folks, nothing to see here, thread is now de-railed onto a topic not related to it, thread over.

Though in fairness to Puff, it was myself that posted the link (and I did do it with an eye on what may happen).  I'd call it on-topic.

The Weekly Standard isn't really the place to go for fair and balanced news (neither is the NY Sun, both being neocon pamphlets), and while Murdoch isn't traditionally a Zionist (although he's by no means opposed to anything essentially right-wing in nature), I would certainly be opposed to someone with such - ah, subjective - views increasing their monopoly on the British media.

I wonder if all the viewers of Farsi1 are aware of Mr M's views as reported above?

Mr_Simnock

The thread was originaly about Vice Cable standing up to Rupert Murdoch your post was about Rupert Murdoch cosying up to some form of imaginary Jewish media cabal that only you can see, they are two different subjects.

QuoteStill, same ol', don't address the facts, play the race card eh.

I would say that that neatly sums up your posts to a T.

By the way if he pays me enough I'll gladly keep his feet warm, I'd make him a pair of hot waterbottle slippers.

thepuffpastryhangman

But the threat from Murdoch, if we acknowledge there is one, comes from his views, so his views are important. And on such a globally divisive topic as the Jewish state, the (apparent) impartiality of the media is crucial to a rounded understanding of the situation. So when Murdoch settles himself 110% in one corner, it is an issue. And when he talks of "battleground" in "the media", of course it's
important to highlight relevant areas of potential bias. And it's always important to question the motives behind the partisanship. Murdoch's position is clear, why's he taken that stance? No one's going to cancel their Sky Sports subscription if he bigs up Hezbollah. What's Murdoch after and how can does he think he can help himself?

Mr_Simnock

The problem is TPPHM your trying yet again to turn another thread into a discussion about that previously mentioned invisible Jewish media cabal that control the planet and only you can see. There are already at least four other threads you have shit up which have been steered down that path. why not continue in one of those and leave this one to its original subject.

Still Not George

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS THE JEWS BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They did 9-11, y'know.

SetToStun

No, that was 7/11. Or was it Tesco? I get confused (or is that conJEWSed?)

buttgammon

It was all of them! They stole my Jewse when I was a kid, bastards. They've done everything since then apart from the things I've ever approved of. My black and white universe is such a cosy place, a place that is never disrupted by things like facts or truth or sanity. Unfortunately, the Jewish Lizards are bound to take my brain over one of these days and turn me into another unthinking drone who just accepts that the Jews don't actually run everything and there isn't a massive conspiracy controlling the whole world.

thepuffpastryhangman

Are these^ your best (joint) efforts at explaining Murdoch's motivation?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on October 15, 2010, 12:02:57 PM
But the threat from Murdoch, if we acknowledge there is one, comes from his views, so his views are important. And on such a globally divisive topic as the Jewish state, the (apparent) impartiality of the media is crucial to a rounded understanding of the situation. So when Murdoch settles himself 110% in one corner, it is an issue. And when he talks of "battleground" in "the media", of course it's important to highlight relevant areas of potential bias. And it's always important to question the motives behind the partisanship. Murdoch's position is clear, why's he taken that stance? No one's going to cancel their Sky Sports subscription if he bigs up Hezbollah. What's Murdoch after and how can does he think he can help himself?

Removed from the context of some of puff's other posts, this is more-or-less fair enough - though the question as to what Murdoch is after is simply money, power and influence to grant him ever-more of the first two, rather than anything more clandestine.

Zetetic

It could just be an actual, honestly-held belief? I've always assumed that Murdoch must have some, other than just a pure desire for cash and power.

SetToStun

Given Murdoch's swing from Tory to Labour to Tory again I'd have to say he's just an astute operator who know which slices to butter to give him the biggest, tastiest sandwich at any given time. I can't find anything to suggest that Israeli media are state-controlled so if he wants to expand into that market, all he needs is to be acceptable to that market. Trying to get into the, for example, Iranian market could be somewhat more problematic. I believe (and yes, I accept that means I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever) that if he's getting all anti-anti-semitic then maybe he wants to start harvesting money from the Israeli market.

There's no grand conspiracy with Murdoch - follow the money and you'll find him. He's nothing more than a very astute businessman with his eye on the main chance.

Still Not George

JEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWS

JAWS IV: THE JEWS

JUICE

JEW 2: JEW HARDER

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: SetToStun on October 15, 2010, 01:34:20 PM
Trying to get into the, for example, Iranian market could be somewhat more problematic.

The mention I made above to Farsi1 was an (admittedly obscurist) reference to a Persian-language satellite channel that is now the most popular in Iran.

It's partly-owned by NewsCorp.

SetToStun

Well fuck my old boots. Is it unrestricted in content, do you happen to know? I knew Iran was supposed to be one of the more "liberal" Arab countries but that really has surprised me after I'mmadinthehead's crackdowns of the not-too-distant past.