Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Solar Madness = Northern Lights?

Started by Serge, February 17, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12493980

I remember this being mentioned on '10 o'Clock Live' a few weeks ago, but assumed it was going to happen in a couple of years rather than a couple of weeks. I'm in the Midlands at the moment and hoping that this might spread this far south, although also bearing in mind that a.) it's as cloudy as fuck and b.) I can't stand or walk around very well at the moment, so might just get someone to push me around the garden in a wheelbarrow.

I do remember the Aurora Borealis coming as far south as the UK about 20 years ago. My brother came running in and told us that something weird was happening in the sky, and we all went out to have a look, and it was incredible. One thing that I remember clearly is that the lights formed into points, so looked even more unearthly.

So, if any Northern 'whores are lucky enough to see them, let us know!

2 Light Ales Please

I'm going to be keeping an eye out for it here in Manc, but I expect the light pollution to fuck it up.

Apparently 2013 is going to be a big one for this stuff, so if you miss it, there's always another chance.

babyshambler

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 06:20:45 PM
I'm going to be keeping an eye out for it here in Manc, but I expect the light pollution to fuck it up.

Apparently 2013 is going to be a big one for this stuff, so if you miss it, there's always another chance.

If you say so!

http://survive2012.com

2 Light Ales Please

If the Mayans were so smart, why did they get slaughtered by the Spanish?

biggytitbo

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 06:24:50 PM
They were playing the long game.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Serge on February 17, 2011, 04:12:14 PM
I do remember the Aurora Borealis coming as far south as the UK about 20 years ago. My brother came running in and told us that something weird was happening in the sky, and we all went out to have a look, and it was incredible. One thing that I remember clearly is that the lights formed into points, so looked even more unearthly.

It's not unknown most winters in the highlands - I've not been lucky enough to witness a full display, but several of my friends have.  I did see a very faint trace of it - like trails of chalk on a blackboard - but despite that being more than I saw in Iceland, it still doesn't really count..

uglybob1986

Great! Predictions of doom, possible disruption of global communications and  unusual lights in the sky. Couple these with 99% of humanity being imbeciles and 2012 is shaping up to be a good year to spend camping in the middle of nowhere, as far from civilisation as possible.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: 2 Light Ales Please on February 17, 2011, 06:24:50 PM

They didn't, it was the Mexica whom were largely wiped out and that was due to european disease not combat. I'm no 2012ist but having been to the Yucatan and visited Chichen Itza I think there's a lot to admire in that history.

Lord Mandrake

Ignore, posting from stupid phone.

Big Jack McBastard

Bugger all last night though it was cloudy, will keep my peepers open this eve.

Serge

Yeah, I did pop my head out of the back door a few times in the spirit of hopeless optimism, but too cloudy even if anything was going on. Cloudy again today, so probably not going to be much better tonight.

small_world

Probably not related. But a few of my friends on FB posted that they'd been woken by their fire alarm going off through the night. Also there was  a power cut in Newcastle overnight/early morning Byker way. Again, according to FB.

Having spent a week in Norway, travelling from Oslo to Bodo in the far north of Norway, inside the arctic circle, in the snow, in the cold, in the dark, in December, and living in a log cabin for a few days. And also when I worked at the airport I got the chance to take a northern lights spotting trip with some scientist (I can't for the life of me remember who it was) flying from Newcastle straight north (with lights off (against aviation rules)), then returning to Newcastle... And I've never seen them[nb]We did see a green haze and some slight dull flashes on the flight, but no real 'display'[/nb]. So I hope all the common folk who've just sat in the house trying nil, don't get some amazing display.

Mr_Simnock

For all you potential aurora spotters here are some useful links:-

http://www.spaceweather.com/ THE place to start looking for aurora info in genera, look out for the Current Auroral Oval info in the left hand column, the map shows current activity in both hemispheres.

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/rt_activity/  this is run by the University of Lancaster's Physics Department. It gathers real time data from a magnetometer in Scotland. You can sign up to receive alerts of high magnetic activity which is invaluable if you want to know when best to look out side.

Fear not folks the sun is coming into a period (a couple of years at least) of high activity and as along as you keep up to date I suspect youll get a shot at seeing some northern lights.

Mr_Simnock

If you live in Scotland there is a good chance of seeing the northern lights right now outside.