Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,782
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Posters

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 09, 2011, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Not of the CaB variety, we all know who they are, but of the stick to your wall and annoy the landlord type.

I know I'm too old for this sort of thing, but I live in a grotty little bedsit and can't afford anything nicer, and need to put something over the rapidly decaying wallpaper. I've looked at sites like allposters, and on ebay, and can't find anything I particularly like amongst all the painful dross (though with thousands available, I could easily have missed the good ones). I wouldn't be adverse to film posters (but it'd have to be a film I really loved, and one with a non-shite image[nb]I'd quite like a Harold and Maude one, but they're all terrible sadly.[/nb]) but would prefer something a bit more unusual...

So does anyone have any ideas? And to broaden the thread a little, what posters do you have on your wall?

NB. Biggy, I know you'll be tempted to post pictures of lots of bears, and wolves howling at the moon, but restrain yourself man!

biggytitbo

biggytitbo

I've always wanted a big version of this but never found one:

babyshambler

There are plenty of 'cool' choices here..

http://www.moviemarket.com/

They're mostly photos, but you can buy them in big sizes to use as posters.

Example of cool:

JesusAndYourBush

Space ghost

mook

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 10, 2011, 02:36:34 AM

Yayy... somehow beautiful dancing gypsy lady had slipped from my mind.

Famous Mortimer

I got a really good one from Tate Modern a while back, a monstrously large print of some photograph art. Unfortunately, when my evil ex put it in a frame, she obscured the name of the artist, so I've got bugger all idea how it was by. Nice though. Go to Tate Modern, is my advice, and ask for the one I bought.

boki

Just imagine knocking one out[nb]a killer guitar riff, that is[/nb] in front of this.

buttgammon

Matisse's 'The Snail' makes a good poster - just don't get a print of it which looks too thin, then stick it to some cardboard which keeps falling down irrespective of which type of adhesive you try to use on it and find you can't separate the print from the cardboard.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 10, 2011, 11:12:22 AM
I got a really good one from Tate Modern a while back, a monstrously large print of some photograph art. Unfortunately, when my evil ex put it in a frame, she obscured the name of the artist, so I've got bugger all idea how it was by. Nice though. Go to Tate Modern, is my advice, and ask for the one I bought.

Don't you have an Android phone? This sounds like precisely the one thing Google Goggles is actually useful for!

lazyhour

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 09, 2011, 10:17:53 PMI'd quite like a Harold and Maude one, but they're all terrible sadly.

I wonder if the Japanese Harold & Maude posters are available anywhere?

Great film, nice poster.

Fake edit: In fact, this one's even better:

holyzombiejesus

Crabwalk

holyzombiejesus

I love some of these redone film posters by Brandon Schaefer.

There are some really nice posters being done for specific gigs nowadays, like these...

However, I think I'd feel like a bit of a phoney buying one if I haven't attended the actual concert. Is this silly?

[nb]All these prints (and tons more) are available from http://www.richardgoodallgallery.com/rggstore/[/nb]

Serge

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 09, 2011, 10:26:23 PMI've always wanted a big version of this but never found one:

I've never seen a poster of that, but I did used to have a huge version of this on my wall throughout my teens and early twenties:

I keep my walls fairly poster-free at the moment, but I could maybe be persuaded to have some krautrock ones if they existed. Imagine a huge Neu! poster of just that logo, or the blue & white 'Autobahn' sleeve....

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 10, 2011, 03:39:40 PM
Don't you have an Android phone? This sounds like precisely the one thing Google Goggles is actually useful for!
Good idea! It's by Robert Frank, "U.S. 90, en route to Del Rio, Texas, 1955":

Looks bloody lovely with a big white border to it.

Goldentony

I reccomend these two. The two most ridiculous film posters anyone could hope for

Gradual Decline

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: lazyhour on March 10, 2011, 03:43:30 PM
Fake edit: In fact, this one's even better:

I'd love to have that, but can't find it anywhere bar ebay, where it's way too expensive.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, anyway, http://www.moviemarket.com/ looks especially cool, though sadly a bit pricey.

Madison

I love this guy's stuff, though his website seems to be down, troublingly. I've linked to a page about him and hopefully the link will work again soon. The prints are v reasonably priced.

http://offbeatmama.com/2010/10/james-hance-artist

Calvin and Hobbs. Sniff.

Prints from the Is This Thing On exhibit -  portraits of comedians (worth checking out the originals gallery too, and imagining spending $650 on a wire figure of David Cross. Which I totally would if I had it.)Anyway, the prints are expensive but awesome.

http://nineteeneightyeight.com/la/standup2.html

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Serge on March 10, 2011, 04:24:01 PM
I've never seen a poster of that, but I did used to have a huge version of this on my wall throughout my teens and early twenties:

So did I, despite not owning any Kate Bush records. This was pointed out to me by my mother. I said "Yes, and...?"

I have an original 1939 London Transport poster teaching people how to use bus stops in the living room. That's my favourite poster right there. Will take picture later.

Sivead

rudi

Who was it on here who claimed that having anything on your walls was nothing more than showing off? Was it Blaaaaaah? Whoever it was was quite serious about it if I recall...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rudi on March 10, 2011, 06:20:48 PM
Who was it on here who claimed that having anything on your walls was nothing more than showing off? Was it Blaaaaaah? Whoever it was was quite serious about it if I recall...

I remember that too. But that could surely apply to however you decorate your house, couldn't it?

CaledonianGonzo

I've got a framed version of this in the study:

And a few album covers up here and there, which someone (i.e. Serge) pointed out to me really wasn't the done thing.

sirhenry

Sod all these 'arty' black and white posters, throw some colour into the room:

Hundertwasser

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Gradual Decline on March 10, 2011, 05:06:03 PM

This doesn't even make sense, how would adding ice melt something made of stone?