Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

500songs (Andrew Hickey)

Started by Satchmo Distel, April 24, 2023, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oosp

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 23, 2023, 07:16:16 PMI was amused and slightly horrified to find out the title of Forever Changes was inspired by Arthur Lee's kiss-off to a girlfriend he was dumping. Imagining him thinking smugly to himself "that was dead good, must write that down" as she cried her eyes out.

Not entirely surprised, as I can vividly recall Lee's quick comeback to an audience member (who had presumably shouted something stupid between songs) at a Dublin gig:

"You shoulda died in your Daddy's dick."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Johnboy on June 19, 2023, 01:13:29 PMYes, I noticed on The Word magazine forum some very off remarks about his delivery which really annoyed me, anything slightly out of the ordinary gets criticised and remarked upon so easily online with no regard for how he would react. pissed me off

People are such cunts. Fuck 'em. Andrew is a GBOL and a very talented writer/podcaster.

I mean, I'm about to listen to his episode about Cream, a band who've always bored me to horrible tears (apart from I Feel Free, obviously, that's a pop-psych banger). There's no way I'd even contemplate listening to that under any other circumstances, but Andrew will spin a cracking yarn as always.

And yeah, I'm also looking forward to a coatdown for old Enoch Clapton.

Egyptian Feast

Enoch doesn't get as much of a coating down as you'd hope, but he will be returning. There is a very funny story about the origin story of their first single and some amusing twatty behaviour and bitchiness but I'm sure he's saving the real shoeing for later as, believe it or not, he's not the worst person in this particular episode, and I'm not talking about Ginger.

Quote from: Oosp on July 02, 2023, 11:38:59 PM"You shoulda died in your Daddy's dick."

Ouch.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 24, 2023, 03:42:16 PMAny criticisms?

I've dipped into a couple of these. It's clearly a thoroughly well researched music podcast, and well edited, but it's all rather humourless and not that entertaining as a result.

SteveDave

There is humour in there but Andrew's delivery is so dry that it's easy to miss.

SteveDave

For example, this is how episode 66 on "Great Balls Of Fire" ends...

"Jerry Lee Lewis is still alive. Married to his 7th wife, who is Myra's brother's ex-wife. He's 84 years old, still performs and, according to recent interviews, worries if he's going to Heaven or Hell when he dies. I imagine I'd worry too, in his place"

Dusty Substance

Quote from: SteveDave on July 04, 2023, 10:34:44 AMThere is humour in there but Andrew's delivery is so dry that it's easy to miss.

You're probably right. I'm gonna give 500 Songs a proper deep dive listen as I really learnt a lot from the few I've listened to.

studpuppet

'Mother-in-Law' by Ernie K-Doe. The lyrics are:

Quote(Mother in law)
Mother in law
(Mother in law)
Mother in law

The worst person I know
(Mother in law, mother in law)
(Mother in law, mother in law)

A she worries me, so
If she'd leave us alone
A we would have a happy home
Sent from down below

Mother in law, mother in law

Satan should be her name
To me they're bout the same
Every time I open my mouth
She steps in, tries to put me out
How could she stoop so low

I come home with my pay
She asks me what I made
She thinks her advice is the constitution
But if she would leave that would be the solution
And don't come back no more

Andrew finishes off his bonus episode with:

QuoteThat came a year after Ernie K-Doe's campaign to become Mayor of New Orleans -- and five years after his death. His widow had run a campaign in 2006 for him to be Mayor as a way of raising funds to rebuild the nightclub he ran, after Hurricane Katrina damaged it. He wasn't actually on the ballot, but it was a fun fundraising activity, and one that kept his name and music in the public eye. K-Doe had died in 2001 of cirrhosis of the liver. He's buried in the same tomb as his mother in law.

SteveDave

The next Patreon bonus is on the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. I wonder if Andrew will just focus on the music or if he'll bring up all the stuff about Bob Markley?

I think it's pretty much impossible to talk about that band without mentioning Bob Markley's 'predilections'.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 18, 2023, 02:22:43 PMI think it's pretty much impossible to talk about that band without mentioning Bob Markley's 'predilections'.

He did ignore all of Tiny Tim's personal life (for the most part) in the last one. I've only read the first 100 or so pages of a Tiny Tim biography due to finding out various things about him. My wife won't allow me to play his music in the flat anymore.

cosmic-hearse

Maybe Poison Idea knew the truth all along

Quote from: SteveDave on July 18, 2023, 02:29:42 PMHe did ignore all of Tiny Tim's personal life (for the most part) in the last one. I've only read the first 100 or so pages of a Tiny Tim biography due to finding out various things about him. My wife won't allow me to play his music in the flat anymore.

Oh right. Tiny Tim was a wrong 'un? I didn't know that.

SteveDave

Lots of him having the local neighbourhood boys give him "massages". I don't think I even got to him getting married on the telly to a 17 year old.

non capisco

It's always the ones you least expect.

dontpaintyourteeth

tiny tim was squeaky clean actually. he used to shower six times a day.

SteveDave

I've never disagreed with anyone as much as I disagree with Andrew's opinion that "A Group" by Markley is forgettable. If it was by The Monkees it would be hailed as a classic. From s to f its A1.

magister

The New Yorker's reviewed 500 Songs, calling it a landmark in the history of popular music. I think they like it.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/a-music-podcast-unlike-any-other

SteveDave

He's on Rick Rubin's Tetragrammaton podcast this week and his speaking voice is a lot quicker than the podcast.

He sounds a bit like Jon Ronson.

Dunno how far into it you are, SteveDave, but I've just got to the bit where Andrew actually addresses the fact that he talks more slowly on the podcast.

It's a great interview, he's just as articulate and interesting as you'd expect.

I really enjoyed his impassioned case in favour of the Monkees (Rubin is a fan too). As he says, it's staggering that even now some people still dismiss them as a worthless joke (which leads into a nice dig at the conservatism of Real Rock Lore as decreed by boomers like Jann Wenner).

Spoiler alert
There's a lovely moment where Andrew is almost lost for words when Rubin says he's heard from a friend that 500 Songs is Bob Dylan's favourite podcast. I hope that's true.
[close]

SteveDave

Spoiler alert
I did laugh when Andrew said that Dylan probably lost interest in the show once it started focusing on mid-60s artists (Dylan himself included).
[close]

SpiderChrist

It is. I'd rather not see it again.

Can we carry on discussing Andrew's pod without having to look at Tiny Tim's terrifying visage?

Egyptian Feast

Can't wait for the hugely contentious episode 184. And the horrendously dark 176/177 combo. Not looking forward to waiting until 2038 to find out what 500 is though.

As we know, Andrew's odyssey ends in 1999, so the final episode will almost certainly be an impeccably researched three hour epic devoted to Flat Beat by Mr. Oizo.

But seriously...* episodes 176 and 177 will presumably cover Altamont and the Manson murders. He more or less said as much during the Rubin interview.

As for the hugely contentious episode 184, I have absolutely no idea. Andrew is a Monkees fan, so he may make a case for Nesmith's brilliant early '70s country rock albums being more pioneering than Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers.

If so, that'll annoy yer Steve Hoffman forum types.

* I wonder if he'll cover In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins? That gated drum sound dominated the '80s, it's a hugely significant recording whether you like the actual song or not (I do).

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 03, 2023, 07:15:35 PMBut seriously...* episodes 176 and 177 will presumably cover Altamont and the Manson murders. He more or less said as much during the Rubin interview.

I was thinking 'Gimme Shelter' possibly for Altamont, which would be later so 177. I'm trying to think what song would fit Manson, other than something from The White Album, but wouldn't that be too early?

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 03, 2023, 07:15:35 PMAs for the hugely contentious episode 184, I have absolutely no idea. Andrew is a Monkees fan, so he may make a case for Nesmith's brilliant early '70s country rock albums being more pioneering than Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers.

If so, that'll annoy yer Steve Hoffman forum types.

My first thought was 'Sugar Sugar', but my timing might be wrong. It must be something from 1970/71 if Altamont is going to be 177. Carpenters? New Seekers? Osmonds?