Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A.I George Carlin "I'm glad I'm dead"

Started by Sonny_Jim, January 11, 2024, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Some podcast has made an A.I George Carlin and it's fucking awful

Presumably done without the consent of his family, as his daughter had this to say:

Quote from: Kelly CarlinMy dad spent a lifetime perfecting his craft from his very human life, brain and imagination.  No machine will ever replace his genius. These AI generated products are clever attempts at trying to recreate a mind that will never exist again. Let's let the artist's work speak for itself. Humans are so afraid of the void that we can't let what has fallen into it stay there.

Here's an idea, how about we give some actual living human comedians a listen to? But if you want to listen to the genuine George Carlin, he has 14 specials that you can find anywhere

Bernice

Petey Pate

Was just about to post this. It has to be one of the most offensive and unethical uses of 'AI' yet. Wholeheartedly agree with his daughter. I hate the look of the AI generated images in the video too, which bear close resemblance to the similar monstrosity 'Anna Indiana'.

I did smirk at 'I had a pretty good excuse, I was dead', which is a joke no living comedian could do.

The Bumlord

Petey Pate

Carlin wasn't happy about bogus quotes being attributed to him online, so it's unfathomable he would have approved this.

Quote from: George CarlinFloating around the Internet these days, posted and e-mailed back and forth, are a number of writings attributed to me, and I want people to know they're not mine. Don't blame me.

Some are essay-length, some are just short lists of one and two-line jokes, but if they're flyin' around the Internet, they're probably not mine. Occasionally, a couple of jokes on a long list might have come from me, but not often. And because most of this stuff is really lame, it's embarrassing to see my name on it.

And that's the problem. I want people to know that I take care with my writing, and try to keep my standards high. But most of this "humor" on the Internet is just plain stupid. I guess hard-core fans who follow my stuff closely would be able to spot the fake stuff, because the tone of voice is so different. But a casual fan has no way of knowing, and it bothers me that some people might believe I'd actually be capable of writing some of this stuff.

Led Souptin

i'm quite enjoying it tbh.

last year we had AI seinfeld barely holding it together and this year AI george carlin thinks that "rectal cancer" might be a funny punchline. it's pretty outstanding progress.

EDIT: oh yeah its entirely not ethical

Kelvin

It's not unethical. It's transparent about being an A.I project, and is therefore no more disrespectful to Carlin and his family than doing a terrible impression of him. 

Shaxberd

I dunno, I'd be pretty spooked if someone made a robot pretend to be a dead relative of mine.

Unless it was dead good at it and we went on a heartwarming roadtrip together where we learned about what it really means to be human. And then at the end I punted the bastard off Beachy Head.

MortSahlFan

Besides the moral question, the guy wasn't funny at all, and doesn't strike me as the type of shit Carlin would lament on.

Of course, he has a ton of views, got attention from Kelly Carlin, and will probably make a ton of money.

Marianb

I duno
Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2024, 03:46:20 PMIt's not unethical. It's transparent about being an A.I project, and is therefore no more disrespectful to Carlin and his family than doing a terrible impression
Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2024, 03:46:20 PMIt's not unethical. It's transparent about being an A.I project, and is therefore no more disrespectful to Carlin and his family than doing a terrible impression of him. 
Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2024, 03:46:20 PMI feel it's MORE than just an impression though.  It's trying to be almost a replacement or recreation of someone.

if a person can be recreated, a person may count as "intellectual property". In a couple years, we may have to literally copyright ourselves to keep A. I. from using us like this (!)

At any rate I suspect there's going to be a lawsuit.  There's so much undecided law and grey area with A. I. that a "test case" is inevitable. And lawyers LOVE historical and precedent setting cases.  I suspect this situation may be the one. 

trabuch

I'm not going to click on that, so my input is irrelevant.

Brass Moustache

I love this. They should do Bill Hicks next.

13 schoolyards

Can't wait for the AI Chappelle where there's a slider at the bottom of the screen and you can adjust the levels of transphobia and smug self-satasfaction* in "his" act.

*you have to pay extra for the slider that controls "funny"

Twilkes

AI Noel Fielding would be particularly easy.

"It makes no sense, it's just a string of irrelevant concepts knotted together with whimsy and trotted out by a slightly sinister face that barely looks human."

"I know, but what about the AI?"

dontpaintyourteeth

Who needs AI. A Noel Fielding generator would be dead easy to make. it's just

[profession]
[animal]
"comin' atcha"

okay let's spin the wheel:

locksmith goblin shark, comin' atcha

Oh shit I've just revived Luxury Comedy

wobinidan

And yet somehow many times less offensive than the most popular standups these days. There's even a section about trans people that isn't about how JK Rowling is right or that we are basically the same as people who claim to be chimps.

It's a bit like non-alcoholic beer, it tastes sort of like beer, but you don't feel anything from it. It doesn't exactly sound like Carlin and none of the lines hit. But I'll take 10 bland AI comedians over another Netflix prick whining about being cancelled while he gets paid millions to spout fascist-adjacent bile.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2024, 03:46:20 PMIt's not unethical. It's transparent about being an A.I project, and is therefore no more disrespectful to Carlin and his family than doing a terrible impression of him. 

mate.

idunnosomename

You can see how the AI has mined online sources and lists to fill up time. Only watched a little bit but all the different sorts of cancer, how to get a gun in Japan etc are basically like its reading off quora or wikihow.

It does kind of understand how a joke works in that it has the long explanation of how to get a gun in Japan and the extremely curt method for America. Still not actually funny, though.

The images that always have the slight zoom put on them are fucking horrible. Why has his grave got a skull carved on it and skulls round it? Oh because its a shit imitation of human thought made by a cunt.

"Oh it'll get better" well yes that's just frightening isnt it. Especially the cunt bit.

g0m

Quote from: Marianb on January 11, 2024, 11:47:38 PMI duno
I've been using bbcode forums since I was 14 and I have no idea how you did that

frajer

Watched the first few minutes and genuinely got The Fear from those AI images.

dissolute ocelot

It's no more disrespectful to Carlin than the unlicenced George Carlin Dining Experience.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on January 12, 2024, 09:21:15 AMmate.

There are plenty of ethical questions around AI Art, most notably lack of attribution, and long term impact on jobs/industry. But I don't really have any issue with people creating dumb shit like this as part of the ongoing experiment, and I certainly don't see any point in taking a hard-line stance against AI art. Some use of AI will be the long-term future of creative industries, the tech is already mainstream and impressive, and I'd rather accept that and argue over the implementation than oppose it entirely, like old men have hated new tech since the dawn of time.

I have been thinking about my post upthread, though, and whether I'm being consistent. CGI actors in Rogue One or that newer Ghostbusters film both seemed mildly disrespectful to me, so I can't quite articulate why these fake AI voices/deepfakes don't bother me so much in their current iterations. I suppose because the AI implementation currently feels more experimental and, frankly, trivial, rather than using an actors likeness in a film to emotionally manipulate an audience.

JaDanketies

Alas, the most important part is that it isn't funny. If it was like George Carlin had come back from the dead then it would've been cool and any ethical considerations would fade into the aether. But since it's bad then the ethics matter.

Seems about as bad as the Tupac hologram; I guess the consent (and property rights and income) of the bereaved is the most important factor.

Kelvin

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 12, 2024, 10:01:04 AMAlas, the most important part is that it isn't funny. If it was like George Carlin had come back from the dead then it would've been cool and any ethical considerations would fade into the aether. But since it's bad then the ethics matter

I almost feel the opposite. The fact it's bad makes it easier to dismiss, rather than something genuinely great which would highlight why the tech is going to be so useful and insidious. The reality is that, even though AI art is utterly soulless, on a technical level it is already incredibly impressive, and within a decade, most people won't know the difference between real and AI. That's the real issue longterm; knowing whether the art you enjoy was created by someone with a vision, or a computer that fakes one.

madhair60

artists already struggle with underpayment, total lack of respect and blatant mistreatment by clients. why not screw them over even harder? AI art can go and fucking fuck itself, in its arse, cunt and face. it is death. happy to be a luddite on this matter.

Pimhole

What did the fish say when it hit a wall?

The Mollusk

Quote from: wobinidan on January 12, 2024, 07:02:45 AMIt's a bit like non-alcoholic beer, it tastes sort of like beer, but you don't feel anything from it. It doesn't exactly sound like Carlin and none of the lines hit. But I'll take 10 bland AI comedians over another Netflix prick whining about being cancelled while he gets paid millions to spout fascist-adjacent bile.

As a non-drinker my own analogy would be that if it were a toss up between a non-alcoholic AI Carlin or a cookie cutter Netflix human on the intoxicating offence comedy circuit, I'd rather go outside and drink piss from a puddle.

idunnosomename

DAM!
man that was a year ago. I liked AI when it had a limited pallette in everything (text and image) that sometimes came out with wonderful nonsense (i forget what year my current avatar is, but its from the first dall-e build in 2021 I think).

Now everything is this shiny people with their mouths open in pedantically symmetrical compositions and it fucking sucks.

Senior Baiano

AI George Carlin is creating unique discussion points and narratives