Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Started by lankyguy95, May 31, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 27, 2018, 02:19:28 PMHe isn't in BB, but he is mentioned. In the very first Saul episode, when Walt and Jesse take him out to the desert, he says, "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio." Doesn't answer whether he's alive or dead in that timeline though.

Good point! Depending on whether they go with overlapping storylines or not, that does imply he might be around for the entire run on of BCS. I am happy about that, I like his character a lot.

Hat FM

maybe saul helps nacho 'disappear'? a violent death at the hands of Gus seems much more likely though.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Hat FM on September 26, 2018, 06:15:16 PM
good luck getting a heffe weissen in a bar in america back in 2004...
It's actually pronounced heffe weissen

Cuellar

Been rewatching Breaking Bad to get some context and as I had remembered it Mike was a stone cold psycho, but when Gus does for Victor he looks genuinely scared/upset.

So maybe I was wrong.

lankyguy95

Great episode. Was sure someone was going to die. Nope.

Slippin' Werner.

selectivememory

Yeah, what a great episode.

Was convinced that Werner had done himself in, so I was relieved by that twist at the end. Although it's probably only putting off the inevitable by a week.

mothman

Suppose they pulled a surprise series finale next week. Jimmy successfully appeals, decides his name is a millstone round his neck because people evil always remember good ol' Chuck McGill and judge him accordingly, so he changes it. Kim, having done won him his appeal, breaks up with him. Mike kills Werner (and, later, the rest of them once the job is done). Lalo thinks he's sitting pretty... until Tuco gets out, anyway. Lalo vanishes. Nacho gets a happy ending, fleeing with his dad. The end.

And, future monochrome Gene? He's still out there, hiding, hating his life but afraid of losing it.

kalowski

That was a great episode. I'm amazed at how much tension can be drawn out of a programme where you know where the three main characters end up.
I don't think it missed a beat. I didn't want it to end. I'd assumed Jimmy would be reinstated, but the minute the woman's face fell as she was waiting for Chuck's name, I knew he was screwed.

Rizla

Great episode, though I'm wondering if the Hector's bell scene would've been better as a flashback; as was it felt a tiny bit fan-servicey, something that's been almost non-existent. Last few episodes really have been top notch.

Twit 2

Great ep and this is definitely my favourites series so far.

I think it's not just that he didn't mention Chuck - he's become too used to the con artistry to realise some people can see through it. He was laying it on way too thick and they didn't like it.

I do like that Werner has pulled a Shawshank.

How can they off the Germans without their families doing some digging? Has Werner told his wife where he's going (as in America/New Mexico generally, not the exact location)? It can't be that easy to make people disappear. Does Werner fear for his life so much he's willing to leave all his guys behind? Seems a bit harsh...

mothman

I think he's just cracked under the pressure. Fight or flight, he just had to get out.

Dex Sawash

Didn't like the blasting scene, tension for that scene was dialed way up for several episodes. Not sure if I would be happier if Werner had got it in the eye though.

Kim''s "yeah" did the work of half a season in response to Jimmy's "I've got to go"

Schnapple

The moment in which Jimmy declines to talk about Chuck was seriously painful to watch. It really does lay the groundwork for some sincere emotional terrorism. This show is great.

Nowhere Man

I was a few episodes behind so i've just been binging the last couple ones together, did anyone else's heart rate go up when Werner was having a panic attack in the basement? Fucking hell, it must have ironically been the last Season of Breaking Bad when I felt that on edge watching a TV show. Shit was scarier than any horror movie.

I've really warmed to his character, so it's gotten to the point where i'm absolutely dreading his inevitable demise. Ironically (or intentionally) he seems to have a lot of Walter White's better characteristics in him.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 04, 2018, 09:07:39 PM
I was a few episodes behind so i've just been binging the last couple ones together, did anyone else's heart rate go up when Werner was having a panic attack in the basement? Fucking hell, it must have ironically been the last Season of Breaking Bad when I felt that on edge watching a TV show. Shit was scarier than any horror movie.

I've really warmed to his character, so it's gotten to the point where i'm absolutely dreading his inevitable demise. Ironically (or intentionally) he seems to have a lot of Walter White's better characteristics in him.

Yeah i was full on hands over my eyes expecting gore. Was ratcheted up perfectly.

I liked the bait and switch with Werner, were we all thought Kai was the troublemaker. And now the rest of the gang will complete the job with him gone and the threat in the air.

seen a post of reddit suggesting werner is dying and that he can feel a heart attack or similar coming (the panic attack and twitching arm being suggestions).

NoSleep

He doesn't seem the type to play hookie just because he isn't going to see his wife for a few months more. But if he really fears he may never see her again it makes more sense.

Why was it not an issue that he may have health problems before they accepted him to oversee the work? Why can't he reveal his condition? Surely there must be contingency for medical emergencies (particularly given the dangers involved).

Mini

Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 04, 2018, 09:07:39 PM

Agreed, and the music was great in that scene. God I love this show.

jobotic

I know Jimmy was beside himself but he seemed a bit unnaturally cunty to Kim. He seems to respect her a great deal usually.

I think I only knew he was expected to talk about Chuck because I read it here. Can't he say at the appeal that it was too painful to talk about?

jobotic

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 03, 2018, 02:00:36 AM

Kim''s "yeah" did the work of half a season in response to Jimmy's "I've got to go"

When was this? I must have been slurping my tea.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: jobotic on October 05, 2018, 12:01:17 PM
When was this? I must have been slurping my tea.

End of a montage maybe? After breakfast or getting ready for work

edit- I skimmed for it, maybe it was last week

EOLAN

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 05, 2018, 12:45:53 PM
End of a montage maybe? After breakfast or getting ready for work

edit- I skimmed for it, maybe it was last week

I am going to say that it was ah he was getting the bus to Houston.

Keebleman

Here's a terrific podcast interview with Rhea Seehorn, recorded shortly after the filming of Season 3.  She's remarkably intelligent and articulate (for an actor):

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/4/5/15183018/rhea-seehorn-better-call-saul-podcast

And her first name is pronounced 'Ray'.

lankyguy95

Wonder whether there'll be some story crossover in this last episode. The strands have been pretty disconnected this season.

jonno

Quote from: Keebleman on October 08, 2018, 03:55:44 PM
And her first name is pronounced 'Ray'.

When she was referred to on the early BCS podcasts it took a while for me to realise who this Racy Horn was they were on about.

Ta for the link, a good listen.

Really dreading the last episode, feels like there should be more than one to go in this season, I'll miss it.

kalowski

She gives me the racy horn etc etc

Suky

Great finale. Couple of tear duct tingle moments. Lots of tension, something we've been waiting for a long time, which was worth waiting for, some satisfying resolutions and a deeply horrible adversary for next time.

On a different planet to The Deuce. (Have I crammed all my research in yet? This is a newspaper article, right?)

lankyguy95

Fantastic finale. Fucking great. Werner's death was so beautifully done. That long shot with him and Mike in silhouette...oof.

And "S'all good man". The shock on Kim's face as she realises it was all a show was kind of heartbreaking. Funny that Jimmy made what seemed a deeply sincere statement of aspiring to live up to the McGill name, and then, as soon as he got the good news, told them he wasn't going to be practicing under that name. That really was the final crossover point.

Gale turning up was utterly pointless but it's Gale so I won't complain.

Oh and I can't not mention the way Mike slipped Lalo.

selectivememory

Superb. Just brilliant.

Knew Werner wasn't going to survive this episode, but that was still really sad. And the end of the episode was the perfect set-up for the next season. When Kim said "whatever happens in there, I'm with you", she probably wasn't anticipating anything like what actually happened! She looked so isolated at the end.

No Nacho though... It seems strange how he's kind of faded into the background a little this season, after being so important in the last one and in the first few episodes this year. Enjoying Lalo though. One of the more interesting Salamancas that we've been introduced to.

NoSleep

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 09, 2018, 10:50:53 AM
Fantastic finale. Fucking great. Werner's death was so beautifully done. That long shot with him and Mike in silhouette...oof.

I'm puzzled why Werner had to die. Also puzzled that there was not more concern over Mrs Werner's situation, if there were people clearly after her husband. What did I miss?

QuoteAnd "S'all good man". The shock on Kim's face as she realises it was all a show was kind of heartbreaking. Funny that Jimmy made what seemed a deeply sincere statement of aspiring to live up to the McGill name, and then, as soon as he got the good news, told them he wasn't going to be practicing under that name. That really was the final crossover point.

I liked how they had written some ambiguity into interpreting his speech by having Kim tell Jimmy just before the hearing that it was not the words of the letter but how you read them. I guessed it would turn out to be a ruse, as we had seen Jimmy do something similar (change tack in an instance) with the photocopier/hummel guys.

QuoteGale turning up was utterly pointless but it's Gale so I won't complain.

Gale sings the praises of Werner's "herculean" work, straight after we see him die.

NoSleep

What happens to Werner's team now? Surely they're all dead men, too?