Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the state of your local CEX

Started by madhair60, October 01, 2023, 11:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

dreadful. two storeys, entire first floor given over to DVDs no living human buys, and overpriced PS Vita games. ground floor not enough space and no coherent queuing system. shelves arranged in way that causes constant traffic flow problems, and they once refused to refund me for an item before I'd even left the building having purchased it. i'd love to know what your CEX is like, see if maybe i'll take the time to visit. i think that the current worst CEX i have been in was in Handsworth, a miniscule space offering nothing bar disappointment.

Blumf

madhair60

well blumf, i go there to trade in my old computer games and use the store credit i am issued to purchase new ones. thank you for asking.

Rev+

Like the entrance to a 90s metal club that's trying to attract an indie crowd.  Black floor, black walls, black ceiling, vague sense that you shouldn't be there.  It's a single floor affair and you rarely see more than two or three people in there at a time, because the much more morally flexible Cash Converters is right next door.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: madhair60 on October 01, 2023, 11:53:09 PMthey once refused to refund me for an item before I'd even left the building having purchased it.

Good. You sound like a timewaster.

Gurke and Hare

My local is unusually bright and airy for a CEX - front and rear entrances with big plate glass windows. Usual selection of DVDs rotting away on the shelves.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm grateful it's there to buy stuff like my husband's old PS3. Disconcertingly staffed by children though. I saw a pigeon wander in last week.

Midas

do you think the stench in CEX is natural or do they have it pumped in

The one near me is small, but smells less stale than the bigger one in town.

Zero Gravitas

Doesn't look like a shop you'd want to go inside.

"I wish to complain about this Splatoon Amiibo what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique."

Zero Gravitas

If you go in there and start treating it like a normal post-1999 consumer interaction, you deserve all you get.

How do they keep going, some kind of WEEE recycling credits scam?

Rev+

All the phones and shit in the window are like the £50 note in a money clip you get in a penny fountain.  None of that's ever getting dislodged.

Pink Gregory

Where pristine blu ray copies of Pier Pasolini's 'the Gospel According to Matthew' nestles alongside 6 copies of Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice

Pink Gregory

also you'd think that with streaming services being increasingly segmented it'd actually be a good time to buy everythinf you might want to watch on DVD for cheap, but in reality it's 500 copies of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

Magnum Valentino

My nearest one is actually great. Someone local is big into boutique Blu-rays (to use the CaB phrase) and is always trading them in so there's always interesting stock in great condition. A few of the staff are really nice lads as well which is rare for CEX.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on October 02, 2023, 02:37:35 AMHow do they keep going, some kind of WEEE recycling credits scam?

Did you go down a slide whilst typing this?

Vodkafone

Helpful and friendly staff, actually less pungent than the local board game shop, though as olfactory bars go that is pretty low. A place where nerds and desperate parents, hocking all the shit they probably couldn't afford to buy in the first place in order to survive one more week of precarity, can mix in an eye contact-free safe space. A place where you can buy a used phone with a fucked battery for £200 before taking it back under the 2 year guarantee so that someone else can have a go.

seepage

ooh, local High St. now has a CeX. Wish I'd known as I might have got a couple of quid for my old D&D books.

Norton Canes

Let's talk about CEX baby
Let's talk about you and me
Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be

Probably could be quite funny if someone writes the verses

madhair60

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 02, 2023, 12:20:04 AMGood. You sound like a timewaster.

I never thought about it that way before. You may be right

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Vodkafone on October 02, 2023, 07:49:09 AMHelpful and friendly staff, actually less pungent than the local board game shop, though as olfactory bars go that is pretty low.

These bars do sound interesting. "I'm just nipping out for a quick smell"

dontpaintyourteeth

local board game shop here has signs saying everyone has to achieve a basic level of personal hygiene to be allowed in

Vodkafone

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 02, 2023, 08:30:48 AMThese bars do sound interesting. "I'm just nipping out for a quick smell"

The one at the board game shop is very generous, they do Stench on tap free all day.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I visited my local branch in the hope of picking up a second-hand Xbox controller, only to discover that it would cost me around €10 more than ordering a brand new controller online. So yeah.

madhair60

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on October 02, 2023, 08:46:06 AMlocal board game shop here has signs saying everyone has to achieve a basic level of personal hygiene to be allowed in

mine didn't. :(

Stoneage Dinosaurs

My local cex is the same one as mad hair's one and I will say one thing in it's favour is that the squalor of it's interior perfectly complements it's piss, litter and sick festooned surroundings.

sevendaughters

Spanish branches of CEX do not smell so forcefully of unwiped ass and crisp dust.

Our local one usually turns up a decent foreign film on blu ray for a bit too much money.

idunnosomename

I have not purchased a video game for decades, so I have never ventured into the boutique of the unwashed ass.

non capisco

Once saw a staff member belm at a customer in one of these. Remarkable behaviour.