Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Got any good Santa's grotto disasters?

Started by Terry Torpid, December 19, 2023, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bomb_dog

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 25, 2024, 12:22:10 AMOk so it's not F.C..., it's W.W. Or an approximation of 'him'.

Willy's Chocolate Experience

Really bleak!

The mods appear to have deleted the original post but it's archived here https://archive.ph/dCwSv

beanheadmcginty

Love the way that the art on the website has been generated by A.I. and no one has given a shit about the gibberish words in it.

idunnosomename

Yeah I was ready to point out "the images are of the type generated by stable diffusion text-to-image generators" then it gets so obvious I think even yer gran might notice somethings up.

Catalogue Trousers

TommyTurnips

Come with me, and you'll be, in a world of scam humiliation.

All Surrogate

Even the page title has a mis-spelling:
QuoteWilly Choclate Experience Glasgow. Get your Tickets!

Also, beware UKXEPCTED TWITS in the 'TWILIGHT TUNNEL.

idunnosomename

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/12047601/wonka-glasgow-cancelled-unpopular/

QuoteOne added: "Turned up and the place was bogging - no sweets, nothing."

Another said: "What about compensation? My wife and child have travelled two hours on the train to get there and find it closed late this afternoon."

A woman said: "We came from Aberdeen."

The venue looks pretty cool. Kids should be happy with some freestanding steel roof and quit bogging.

Quote'Their page and their advertising looked very professional'.

Where do they find these people? How is anyone still getting conned by these kinds of things?

Ferris

Family member 1: shall we go to this fucking rubbish looking Wonka thing? It is rather expensive and we'll need to spend 4 hours round trip on the train?

FM2: stop wasting time talking to me and get booking tickets without reviewing their opening hours, pronto.

[some time passes]

FM1: oh dear oh dear, we should get compensation.

FM2: yes, nobody could have foreseen this would be a disaster.

...aaaand scene.

Ferris

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on February 25, 2024, 03:37:09 PMWhere do they find these people? How is anyone still getting conned by these kinds of things?

It's like those Nigerian Prince schemes, they make them deliberately shit as a filtering mechanism to attract simpletons.

idunnosomename

House of Illuminati was only incorporated in November, the owner Billy Coull is quite the fan of doing half arsed AI scams it seems

https://www.reddit.com/r/glasgow/comments/1az617i/update_willys_chocolate_experience/

Genuinely no one deserves a refund. They need to learn from this. Otherwise they'll just keep doing stupid things.

Also Aberdeen is more like five hours roundtrip, imagine. lmao

steve98

Twas the night before Wonka...

And will it be a real river of chocolate, Mum?

- Of course it will.

And and and will we be able to sit on a boat and float down it? Could, mum listen, could it be a swan-boat?

- Possibly.

Oooow...And will the Oompah-Loompas be real midgets, and be all dancing about and everything and singing?

- Oh yes; wouldn't be the same without the Oompah Loompas.

Oooooooow... and and will there be American "candy", in the Enchanted Garden, much much better than Scottish candy? Will there be mountains of candy?

- There sure will honey; now, into bed.

Ooooo I'll never sleep!

shiftwork2

idunnosomename

Looking into this it does seem it was originally marketed as "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory Experience" and the AI shit website only came along later, so you can't quite blame people for falling for the latter. still

https://www.whatsonglasgow.co.uk/event/131453-willy-wonka-experience/

some of the hanging prints are clearly shit AI too

even if some of the props themselves are pretty decent. but sparsely set out

TommyTurnips

Quote from: steve98 on February 25, 2024, 07:44:01 PMTwas the night before Wonka...

And will it be a real river of chocolate, Mum?

Turns out that the river of chocolate was more of a plumbing issue than a scheduled attraction.

Brass Moustache

elliszeroed

Those kids and parents just weren't imagining pure enough.

steve98

A (so-called) Oompah-Loompah - the only Oompah-Loompah there -  hides from the furious parents and distraught kids, at yesterday's Wonka dud.

Icehaven

This may be stating the obvious but it seems designed purely for visitors to take photos of themselves next to giant chocolate bars etc. then post them on social media carefully edited to make the attraction look way better than it really is so their friends don't think they've been had, and hopefully encourage some of them to go as well. An Emperor's new grotto pyramid scheme reliant on people not wanting to admit they spent £££s to stand in front of a sheet. No great surprise it backfired.

BlodwynPig

Just seen a sodden Santa's Grotto float down a flood town high street. A gaunt Father Christmas spotted slumped and greyish-green on his armchair. *shudder*

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Icehaven on February 26, 2024, 12:41:00 PMThis may be stating the obvious but it seems designed purely for visitors to take photos of themselves next to giant chocolate bars etc. then post them on social media carefully edited to make the attraction look way better than it really is so their friends don't think they've been had, and hopefully encourage some of them to go as well. An Emperor's new grotto pyramid scheme reliant on people not wanting to admit they spent £££s to stand in front of a sheet. No great surprise it backfired.

This scheme might fly in America, but it's dead on arrival anywhere in Britain (especially Scotland!), as people just love a moan and would much rather be photographed doing local paper frownface than grinning in front of a giant lollipop

BlodwynPig

Senior Baiano

POV: You are a fly that has got lost in a bus depot

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 25, 2024, 11:18:15 PMeven if some of the props themselves are pretty decent. but sparsely set out

But what do you do with the giant chocolate bar? Look at it and go "that's a large chocolate bar, that is" then walk off to the next prop?

There's something fundamental I'm missing here.

steve98

It's all so grubby and desolate and awful.
I have a picture of Limmy's weans character wandering around the place, spoutin' his catchphrase; his inconsolable weans being told by their mum that it's all his fault.

Alberon

My niece's fifth birthday was a million times more fun than that utter desolation and all they had was an inflatable slide and a ball pit.

Senior Baiano

It's what the weans character would create if he was determined to put on a magical and special experience for his kids and their friends

gilbertharding

Quote from: Icehaven on February 26, 2024, 12:41:00 PMThis may be stating the obvious but it seems designed purely for visitors to take photos of themselves next to giant chocolate bars etc. then post them on social media carefully edited to make the attraction look way better than it really is so their friends don't think they've been had, and hopefully encourage some of them to go as well. An Emperor's new grotto pyramid scheme reliant on people not wanting to admit they spent £££s to stand in front of a sheet. No great surprise it backfired.

Before Xmas we went to one of those things which are cropping up more and more nowadays, but is basically loads of lit-up sculptures in some woods, which I realise is basically an opportunity for Instagrammable Moments, like you say...

Now, I was completely happy with the one we went to. Felt it was fair value for money etc etc. but, it differed from Wonka World here in several important factors - not least because the illuminated sculptures were really quite impressive both in quantity and quality, and they were exhibited in the dark, so that your eyes weren't distracted by muddy verges, or gloomy skies or anything else which would distract you from the experience.