Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:30:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gulf Stream: DEAD SOON

Started by Terry Torpid, February 10, 2024, 01:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I think the idea is that individual choice isn't great for several reasons, it relies on consumers to care in the first place, be diligent and privileged enough to not buy the cheapest stuff.

Conversely industry at scale will do whatever it can to cut cost even if it's a fraction of a penny per unit. A good example is/was cfc producing polystyrene that was rampant until their hand was forced.

madhair60

Quote from: Cuellar on February 10, 2024, 04:49:39 PMThis cunt done his Hitler joke yet?

haha, i did wonder if i'd get this response, and it's a fair cop tbh.

Blumf

Quote from: Terry Torpid on February 10, 2024, 01:37:32 PMIt pisses me off that they've known about all this shit since before I was born

Technically, before anyone around today was born:

https://xkcd.com/2889/

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2024, 06:03:30 PMI think the idea is that individual choice isn't great for several reasons, it relies on consumers to care in the first place, be diligent and privileged enough to not buy the cheapest stuff.

Conversely industry at scale will do whatever it can to cut cost even if it's a fraction of a penny per unit. A good example is/was cfc producing polystyrene that was rampant until their hand was forced.

Of course the best way is to make the cheapest way also the least damaging way

Sebastian Cobb

By regulating the bad ways out of existence, mostly. Plus a lot of r&d.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2024, 05:30:59 PMAdaptation has a cost. I'm sure you realise this. Human exceptionalism is devastating for the planet.

"I heard AI will solve all our problems"

Yeah I know my point was him saying 'it's too late to adapt' is arrant nonsense as adaption is something that happens automatically. It's the poor use of language I was objecting to.

He should have said 'it's too late for us to adapt in order to keep our current standard of living/risk profile' but then he'd have lost even the small number of people who were listening as more than one piece of information in a sentence is too hard to take in.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2024, 05:30:59 PMHuman exceptionalism is devastating for the planet.

read this wrong and thought it was ableist

Video Game Fan 2000

the word is "correlationism" : only the correlates to human perception and experiences are real, our 'constructs' enjoy a privileged concreteness thats not enjoyed by atoms, squid or wind currents

GMTV

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2024, 08:30:13 PMBy regulating the bad ways out of existence, mostly. Plus a lot of r&d.

Regulate modernity out of existence.

Research and develop what exactly? This civilisation is a busted flush.

Batteries have been around for hundreds of years and are still fairly shit.

We've discovered and developed nuclear power. We'll soon be hitting Peak Uranium so we'll be in the shit with that in the years to come.

There's no large scale replacement for natural gas derived fertilisers and industrial agriculture to feed 8 billion people.

Renewables are an artefact of fossil fuels, and can't be relied upon to keep the lights on or keep our homes warm in winter.

Large scale mining is dependent on diesel, and we've already used up the best mines in the world.

WE'RE FUCKED

BlodwynPig

On the bright side... Starmer for 5 years

Stoneage Dinosaurs

This sounds incredibly worrying. Hopefully it won't affect me jetting off to the Bahamas on my summer holibobs this year

Mr_Rich

Quote from: GMTV on February 10, 2024, 02:32:16 PMThe 8 billion people in this planet are mostly sustained by industrial agriculture, which is enabled by fossil fuels. There is no alternative to this that'll keep so many people alive.

The problems created by having 8 billion people on the planet living the modern lifestyles would be solved by not having 8 billion people living modern lifestyles they currently have.

Im ever coming to the conclusion we just keep going the way we are and the human population and therefore pollution will be ramping down soon enough. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Well population is predicted to peak and start falling by the end of the century... maybe it's just going to drop off a bit faster than predicted.

lauraxsynthesis

If I put a bet on that massive ice sheet up north collapsing next month, will the bookies still be open to pay out or will we all just be fighting over the last tin of baked beans in an irradiated wasteland?

Still, some rich cunts got to buy superyachts and rape kids on them so

Butchers Blind

I guess we won't have to worry about Coyote vs. Acme then.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: GMTV on February 10, 2024, 09:07:21 PMRegulate modernity out of existence.

Research and develop what exactly? This civilisation is a busted flush.

Batteries have been around for hundreds of years and are still fairly shit.

We've discovered and developed nuclear power. We'll soon be hitting Peak Uranium so we'll be in the shit with that in the years to come.

There's no large scale replacement for natural gas derived fertilisers and industrial agriculture to feed 8 billion people.

Renewables are an artefact of fossil fuels, and can't be relied upon to keep the lights on or keep our homes warm in winter.

Large scale mining is dependent on diesel, and we've already used up the best mines in the world.

WE'RE FUCKED

All life on earth is constrained by whatever it uses as fuel e.g. plants need soil, nutrients, water, sun to thrive. If they exhaust that supply then they'll die back to a smaller number.

Likewise if a predator species becomes too numerous then its food supply becomes depleted and it also dies back down in numbers.

Humans are no different, when we exhaust our supplies we will inevitably shrink in numbers until it becomes balanced again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 10, 2024, 11:36:43 PMAll life on earth is constrained by whatever it uses as fuel e.g. plants need soil, nutrients, water, sun to thrive. If they exhaust that supply then they'll die back to a smaller number.

Likewise if a predator species becomes too numerous then its food supply becomes depleted and it also dies back down in numbers.

Humans are no different, when we exhaust our supplies we will inevitably shrink in numbers until it becomes balanced again.

Humans have destroyed the natural order, so this is not likely. Humans and their inventions impose an external forcing factor that means that equilibrium cannot be achieved, i.e. ecological collapse or Hopf bifurcation

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0293391

Why do these threads always turn into a debate about vegetarianism? Yes, meat consumption has a comparatively larger impact on climate emissions, but it's a fairly minuscule piece of the pie. The entire world could go vegan tomorrow and it wouldn't change anything.

I'm fairly sure the biggest single lifestyle choice that an individual can make is to take public transportation and not drive a car.

BlodwynPig

'Member the panic because of declining birth rates? Lol, fuck those cosy fuckers.

Fambo Number Mive

I doubt there are many Swifties on here, but I wonder if a boycott of celebrities like Swift who use private jets a lot might make them change their ways, or maybe they'd just try harder to hide their private jet use. I assume most Taylor Swift fans are under 25 and therefore the most likely to see full on climate fuckdown in their lifetimes.

From the Independent:

Quote...Gregory Keoleian, co-director of the Center for Sustainable Systems at the University of Michigan, estimated for The AP that Swift's 19,400 miles by private jet in under two weeks has released more than 200,000 pounds of carbon emissions. That's about 14 times more than the average American household emits in a whole year, according to the US Energy Information Administration...

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/taylor-swift-private-jet-carbon-emission-b2494337.html

Swift isn't even in the top 30 influencers by private jet Co2 emissions in 2023. You can see those here: https://carbontracker.myclimate.org/?etcc_cmp=carbontracker&etcc_med=Affiliates&etcc_par=Landingpage

greenman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2024, 09:08:32 PMOn the bright side... Starmer for 5 years

Depressing to think that a mediocracy like Keith could play a vital role on the collapse of advanced human civilisation.

Fambo Number Mive

Apparently debt levels make it harder for some countries in the global south to phase out fossil fuels: https://debtjustice.org.uk/press-release/rising-debt-locks-global-south-countries-in-fossil-fuel-production

GMTV

Quote from: convulsivespace on February 11, 2024, 06:42:21 PMWhy do these threads always turn into a debate about vegetarianism? Yes, meat consumption has a comparatively larger impact on climate emissions, but it's a fairly minuscule piece of the pie. The entire world could go vegan tomorrow and it wouldn't change anything.

I'm fairly sure the biggest single lifestyle choice that an individual can make is to take public transportation and not drive a car.

Easy targets. The meat eating, car driving, cruise taking tory is the problem with climate change.

Contrast with vegan, cycling to work, reducing number of flights abroad.... Doing all that can be done.

They largest contribution to emissions is the production of electricity and heat. So if you're up for sitting in the cold and dark you can make the most difference... But yeah probably not owning a car or flying would be the two biggest discretionary activities you could forgo if you were really wanting to reduce carbon and pollution footprint.

bgmnts

Quote from: convulsivespace on February 11, 2024, 06:42:21 PMThe entire world could go vegan tomorrow and it wouldn't change anything.

Wuh?

Anyway, around 15% of all carbon emissions come from the meat and dairy industry I believe, so it's not a miniscule at all. Not to mention the huge amount of physical land that those industries gobble up. I know few people care about the envrinmonet generally, but the impact is there.

Regardless of the absolute abhorrent nature of those industry, and the billions of non-human animals tortured and slaughtered every day, it has helped fuck up the planet - the place we all live - royally. Nobody can make people care about life in general, so the ethics of it won't really appeal to many because there are no ethics there, but if the death of the planet and most living things on it is worth you all shovelling tonnes of carcass in your greedy cunting mouths, then I suppose this species deserves to get fucked innit???????

Emma Raducanu

I'll never give up my 7 bird roast.

madhair60

BlodwynPig

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2024, 10:01:47 PMeight for me

Throw in a fattened calf and wild and reared hogs for me, boss

jamiefairlie

Quote from: bgmnts on February 11, 2024, 09:37:43 PMWuh?

Anyway, around 15% of all carbon emissions come from the meat and dairy industry I believe, so it's not a miniscule at all. Not to mention the huge amount of physical land that those industries gobble up. I know few people care about the envrinmonet generally, but the impact is there.

Regardless of the absolute abhorrent nature of those industry, and the billions of non-human animals tortured and slaughtered every day, it has helped fuck up the planet - the place we all live - royally. Nobody can make people care about life in general, so the ethics of it won't really appeal to many because there are no ethics there, but if the death of the planet and most living things on it is worth you all shovelling tonnes of carcass in your greedy cunting mouths, then I suppose this species deserves to get fucked innit???????

Can we agree that the planet is not going to die due to global warming? It's thrown out all the time and it is not true. The climate will be less conducive to the kinds of lifeform that currently proliferates but will become more conducive to other forms of life.

That's leaving aside the fact that planets are not alive themselves at all.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 11, 2024, 11:49:32 PMCan we agree that the planet is not going to die due to global warming? It's thrown out all the time and it is not true. The climate will be less conducive to the kinds of lifeform that currently proliferates but will become more conducive to other forms of life.

That's leaving aside the fact that planets are not alive themselves at all.

And that climate change has happen lots of times, including having organisms proliferate that created mass extinctions.  Its a rock hurtling through void the fact there has been an life ever is likely a bonus.

Life is fragile, it's a moment in time enjoy it whilst it lasts and don't waste it.