Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Started by lankyguy95, November 20, 2019, 04:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Further to my last post, look at how the aggrieved landowner instantly distrusted Kim because of her "fancy suit" and decided she must be an incompetent pushover because of her ponytail, yet he trusted Saul- the actually dishonest one who plans to fuck him over- presumably because Saul knew the usual calm and professional approach wouldn't work with this guy and he'd be more likely to relate to an impassioned maverick ranting about hating Mesa Verde.

Possibly a bit of old-fashioned sexism in there too- nowt wrong with that perfect ponytail.

Liked the detail of Kim struggling to break open the gate, then Saul managing it in seconds. This is a job for Saul alright.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 12, 2020, 01:33:30 PM

The lunch with Howard was the highlight for me. Howard seemed so phony, watching again I noticed so many giveaways: as well as the awkward hug, the way he used the nickname "Charlie Hustle" with forced affection, like he had to strain to remember what his nickname for Jimmy was.

He might've got that wrong then, as I'm sure when Jimmy was a postie at HHM Howard called him 'Slippin' Jimmy'.

Crabwalk

Nah, his own patronising and annoying nickname for Jimmy has always been 'Charlie Hustle'.

Nonetheless, on balance, I think Howard's alright myself. A bit of a twat, but relatively harmless by this show's standards.

Blue Jam

I generally find Howard very likeable, but it's against my own judgement and FAKE EDIT: Kim sums him up here better than I ever could:

https://youtu.be/z7LM6obyuZs

Howard should have grown a backbone before Chuck snuffed it. Come to think of it, Howard benefited from nepotism, getting the job thanks to his dad, and I can't blame Jimmy for not wanting to go along the same path and forever be in the shadow of his brother.

Also Rhea Seehorn deserves ALL the awards.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 12, 2020, 04:56:18 PM
Nice analysis.

I thought the big theme of this episode was people unravelling through burnout/anxiety. Following on from the bottle throwing, in this episode every character acted irrationally, self-destructively and duplicitously in some way, due to the strain of their previous actions: Gus playing mind games with his staff; Hank's strained face-saving pub invite to the crew; Howard's hollow offer; Jimmy's desperate scamming; Kim trying to manipulate Mesa Verde. And was Mike confronting the gang purely out of self-harm, or is he also angling for sympathy (poor Pops got jumped) to get access to his granddaughter?

Everyone is compromised, everyone is on a path that leads to no good.

I can see why this isn't for everyone, but to me waiting for the next thing to happen isn't the point. The point is what you're being shown. Being riveted by a sequence of a man cleaning a chip fryer. And of course there's an overarching narrative, of course it's going somewhere. Every TV writing room has the whiteboards, the post-it's, the map of the series. They may keep things open and flexible as they go, but this is surely a controlled and conscious decision and runs alongside a solid sense of their world, the characters and their journeys. There's no way they're just completely winging it.

I just love the 'universe' (ugh) of this show: there's such a cohesive and lovingly-constructed sense of place, style and tone. You either want to be in the garishly-coloured, beautifully framed, shady underworld of New Mexico or not. Personally, I bask in it and most of the criticisms I've heard of this show do not register with me in the slightest. It's a knockout show, a masterclass in sophisticated TV writing.
Nothing to add. Good post.

Blue Jam

Yep, seconded. Great analysis.

Blue Jam

Actually, one thing to add:

APHEX TWIN!

gib

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 12, 2020, 04:56:18 PMAnd was Mike confronting the gang purely out of self-harm, or is he also angling for sympathy (poor Pops got jumped) to get access to his granddaughter?

Great post and good question, but neither of those explanations sit right with me. I don't remember Mike self harming before (or in BB) so that seems unrealistic. And turning up with a pulped up face, no longer able to take care of himself, a gang after him? Come in Pops, all is forgiven.

Twit 2

So why did he go back?

Also, where he is at the end of the episode? Don't think anyone's speculated on that yet...

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 13, 2020, 04:42:13 AM
So why did he go back?

Also, where he is at the end of the episode? Don't think anyone's speculated on that yet...

At one of Don Hispanicname`s ranchos, I reckon

edit- Don Eladio

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 12, 2020, 08:52:55 PM
Yep, seconded. Great analysis.

Some lovely stuff from BJ & T2 here, I really enjoy reading your analyses.

buttgammon

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 13, 2020, 06:12:53 AM
Some lovely stuff from BJ & T2 here, I really enjoy reading your analyses.

Absolutely! I watched this about 9 hours ago, but your posts have made me want to watch it all over again.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 12, 2020, 08:30:41 PM
Nah, his own patronising and annoying nickname for Jimmy has always been 'Charlie Hustle'.

I can't believe I hadn't noticed this before, but "Charlie"? He's calling Jimmy by his brother's name, that's gotta hurt. A cutesy version of his name too- "Awww, lil' Charlie Hustle, you're like a younger, dodgier version of your honest and successful brother, how adorable". No wonder Jimmy hates it- it practically translates as "Chuck's loser brother".

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 12, 2020, 08:30:41 PMNonetheless, on balance, I think Howard's alright myself. A bit of a twat, but relatively harmless by this show's standards.

I think you're right there, and while he has done some truly hurtful things (told Jimmy- but not Rebecca- his theory about Chuck committing suicide and implying Jimmy drove him to it, suggesting that him being allowed to go through the charred remains of the house where his brother died screaming to pick up a few keepsakes would be a privilege, blocking Jimmy's appointment to the firm on Chuck's orders) I think Howard often means no harm and genuinely has no idea what a twat he's being. He just can't see the great and noble Chuck the way Jimmy sees him, and he will never understand Jimmy's anger and resentment.

Also Howard isn't in the shadow of his father- he's his peer and equal, thanks to nepotism. Again, he probably can't begin to imagine what it's like for Jimmy being in Chuck's shadow.

Howard must be an only child. There'd be more Hamlins in the firm's name if he wasn't.

Quote from: buttgammon on March 13, 2020, 08:07:05 AM
Absolutely! I watched this about 9 hours ago, but your posts have made me want to watch it all over again.

I like to watch week by week and at the end of the season binge the lot, then again just before the next season starts.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 13, 2020, 04:42:13 AM
So why did he go back?

Mexico. Yellow tinge.

How he didn't end up more seriously injured/dead though - surely someone's watching him?

Puce Moment

Mike was going kamikaze there wasn't he?

I assume Gus has had Mike trailed since he stepped down to make sure he is not a liability. The thing is, Mike IS a liability, so Gus stepped in.

Custard

Just a heads up that Amazon Video appear to have fucked up and are currently selling the first season in HD for 99p. Get it before they notice!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 14, 2020, 09:26:19 AM
Just a heads up that Amazon Video appear to have fucked up and are currently selling the first season in HD for 99p. Get it before they notice!

Bought it and immediately got emailed a £5 voucher for my next Amazon Video purchase!

Blue Jam

Me too, hehehehe. Seen them all a million times but what the hell.

DrGreggles

Any recommendations for £5 of Amazon Video goodies?

Blue Jam

Season 2 of Better Call Saul ;)

Serious answer: Undone. Get it NOW.

beanheadmcginty

I'm guessing the bloke who plays Howard must have done a million voiceovers in his life. He's just got one of those smooth voiceover voices hasn't he?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, my reading of Howard isn't someone who's wilfully cruel - for the most part, but with some obvious exceptions - but rather he's someone who has lived a life of privilege (with a clear emphasis on image and controlling perception,) that prevents him from being able to empathise or consider how hurtful many of his comments or 'kindly' gestures can be.

Dex Sawash

Keep seeing articles that say
Spoiler alert
Lalo lives Nacho dies, probably
[close]
haven't read any of them. If
Spoiler alert
Lalo
[close]
dies it will be something
Spoiler alert
Gus wants to hide, even if he doesn't cause it
[close]
so it wouldn't be surprising that Saul
Spoiler alert
though Lalo had come for him in BB
[close]

bealefay

I still can't believe that they did a cool project even against the backdrop of Breaking Bad :)

phantom_power

Hat fuck moment when I found out the old giffer holding up the Mesa Verde deal is Barry Corbin who played the rich bigwig in Northern Exposure

hamfist

Quote from: phantom_power on March 16, 2020, 07:21:17 AM
Hat fuck moment when I found out the old giffer holding up the Mesa Verde deal is Barry Corbin who played the rich bigwig in Northern Exposure

OMG. Maurice Minnefield. Jesus - it is an all... I used to love Northern Exposure.

phantom_power

And now I feel as old as he looks