Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John Boyne and his brain worms [split topic]

Started by George White, July 16, 2023, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Yes, John, they're being threatened by the people who are on your side.

George White

I wonder does John actually need genuine therapy. Like he's basically saying that being an abused child means he can be transphobic.

I still remember him saying he had trans friends. Where are they now, if they ever existed?

Also he really reminds me of David McSavage (Has he gone down the anti-TRA pipeline? Wouldn't be surprised).
A D4 sort who had lots of promise, then went mad and fucked all his friends away.

George White

He's now basically stoking up trans hate.

RE: TRANS PEOPLE
'To answer your question: I don't see them as a vulnerable group in society - quite the contrary, in fact. I do however fear for the gay men, lesbians, women & children who they routinely abuse and against whom they incite violence on a daily basis.'

The thing is, I actually kind of agree with him on the rather extreme behaviour in some         corners. But what he refers to refers to a small and vocal minority, and a small and vocal minority who have every right to incite violence, even if I am against them doing it. As I've said, I believe we need to have a John Hume figure in the LGB vs the T fight.

Again, Boyne's mind has been filtered through this obsession with protecting women and children, seeing them merely as victims that need to be protected. I've started to referring to John Boyne as John Charles McQueer.

George White

A friend thinks that Boyne saw Rowling going terf and figured it must be a good pr move.
But yikes, him thinking that trans people are less vulnerable than gay men, yikes!

George White

God, I MADE TWO OTHER AUTISTIC TRANS PEOPLE UNCOMFORTABLE and basically made them leave the IFI by defending @Johnboynebooks' right to write sympathetic Nazi characters (while also thinking him an unreadable hack and the only good thing about The boy in the Striped Pyjamas is Richard Johnson was in the film) and denying that Boyne was a Nazi but 'just  FFG = which is basically the same'.
Basically, now realise why I was banned from the worldcon cos I don't know when I'm making people uncomfortable and when I do, I backtrack and make everything worse
god I hate being autistic.
It's just that when people I was taught to admire in school (my resource teacher was a big fan of Boyne which I used to heckle her for, even then) turn out to be really weird and transphobic. but it's just when Boyne said that people declaring pronouns ws homophobic because it implied denial of single sex attraction while sounding like a load of bollocks, every time I see people list their pronouns, I get really uncomfortable and want to say, 'that might be seen as homophobic'. I've been told on here that it's a load of transphobic bull, but even now, I still think, 'I can kind of see it might offend. It's why I no longer list my own pronouns.'

Just had a bit of a micro-meltdown thanks to semi-defending the ****.

George White

Glinner seems to be taking ideas from his buddy/defender/apologetic disciple NAME DELETED (who has form in this, having created at least one burner account to defend himself and state that women with penises are men). Unless  Avalon here is NAME DELETED himself.

thr0b

Quote from: George White on October 20, 2023, 07:46:40 PMGlinner seems to be taking ideas from his buddy/defender/apologetic disciple John Boyne (who has form in this, having created at least one burner account to defend himself and state that women with penises are men). Unless  Avalon here is John himself.

I don't know who John Boyne but please stop talking about him. Good god, please stop.

George White

Quote from: thr0b on October 20, 2023, 07:47:37 PMI don't know who John Boyne but please stop talking about him. Good god, please stop.
I try, but he is probably the second most notable Irish transphobe behind Glinner (and one of our most successful novelists).  And he's done this gambit before.

Edited the tweet to remove any reference.

Kankurette

Dude. I'll try and say this as nicely as I can: as someone else who hyperfixates on people, you really, really need to knock this Boyne obsession on the head. It's not healthy. I get it, I'm autistic too and I've been there with Space, and I've managed to dial it down (I don't spend hundreds of pounds following them around the country anymore, for a start) but it has taken a few years of work and a bit of prodding from a therapist. And they were people I actually knew and had met several times.

He really, really is not worth the energy.

bgmnts

Yeah hyperfocus on a non cunt author and read all of their oeuvre.

That's an order.

Kankurette

Roddy Doyle isn't a cunt, is he? Flann O'Brien was pretty funny too.

Mister Six

The world is hardly lacking for great Irish authors. Get into Beckett and you'll be too busy pondering to fret about some middlebrow TERF twat.

bgmnts

Aye:

Beckett
Joyce
Wilde
Stoker
Swift

World is oyster

George White

Quote from: Mister Six on October 24, 2023, 02:36:15 PMThe world is hardly lacking for great Irish authors. Get into Beckett and you'll be too busy pondering to fret about some middlebrow TERF twat.
I only read half of his book and that was only at school, and even then I thought he was a hack. I'm fascinated by the man not the author. His weird hubris. his loyalty to Ryan Tubridy.