Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by momatt, January 23, 2017, 05:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: FredNurke on July 03, 2018, 09:15:28 PM
I guess not even Luke Skywalker can skywalk that far for that long without his heart giving out.

Then why not pop back to the battle for real on the Millenium Falcon like Rey does?

FredNurke

Doesn't she leave before he changes his mind and decides to help out after all?

Ant Farm Keyboard

She took away the books and left in the Millenium Falcon, then Yoda visited Luke to explain to him that mistakes were part of the path. That's when he decided to open himself to the Force again.

Dr Rock

Quote from: FredNurke on July 03, 2018, 09:34:49 PM
Doesn't she leave before he changes his mind and decides to help out after all?

Yes by what seems to be a few minutes. Luke recounts what happened when he was going to murder Ben/Kylo (he says he was acting on 'pure instinct,' there's no mention or indication that it has anything to do with the Dark Side). Rey tells him what a silly goose he was because he didn't realise that there was hope for change in his Snoke-addled young apprentice. Which he would've, because he's Luke Skywalker, sure as Superman wouldn't be casually racist. Before he can really make his mind up, Rey is off. Next we see him he's decided to turn up in the hologram form that apparently will sap him of all his life energy, so probably he should've said to Rey 'hold on before you go, you are succeeding in changing my mind over here, I may need that lift.'

Or he could've used his x-wing, which is underwater but arguably salvageable.

Or he couldn't, he made up his mind too late, and it's just another part of the Luke Skywalker ran away and hid on an island and didn't sort out the a galactic mess he created, what a failure and a dick.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 03, 2018, 10:19:00 PM
Luke recounts what happened when he was going to murder Ben/Kylo (he says he was acting on 'pure instinct,' there's no mention or indication that it has anything to do with the Dark Side)

What? Giving in to fear is literally what the Dark Side is all about.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kelvin on July 03, 2018, 11:33:48 PM
What? Giving in to fear is literally what the Dark Side is all about.

Well I suppose. It could just be a human failing, Luke recounts the story and we see what happens, there's no cues it's a dark side moment. Suddenly deciding he should kill his kid apprentice though, I've said I don't buy it, but worse is that he fucks off to an island and lets the pieces fall where they may etc.

Fry

Luke flying in on the millenium falcon and saving the day by flipping around with a lightsaber would have been a trillion times shitter than what actually happened, which was actually really cool and neat.

Fry

Isn't one of the major themes of the film that no one is infallible, no matter how heroic or important they were in the past and that putting too much stock in legends is foolhardy as the truth about them is never clear cut. Luke majorly fucking up and going into a pit of self loathing was a good thing that was interesting and not shit.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 03, 2018, 11:41:02 PM
Well I suppose. It could just be a human failing, Luke recounts the story and we see what happens, there's no cues it's a dark side moment.

I just don't know what you mean by this. Giving in to negative emotions = the Dark Side, and tapping into those emotions is the source of Dark Side powers. Luke is giving into fear and doubt in that moment.

QuoteSuddenly deciding he should kill his kid apprentice though, I've said I don't buy it, but worse is that he fucks off to an island and lets the pieces fall where they may etc.

He believes his - and the Jedi's - intervention creates more problems than it solves. It makes perfect sense that he would isolate himself from the galaxy, in the hope that the problems would be solved by others, rather than escalated any further by him and the Jedi teachings. 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Also, if he joined Rey on the Falcon, his arrival on Crait would have lost all it's dramatic impact.

Kelvin

And he wasn't ready or willing to leave, then. It was Yoda who pushed him over the edge, after Rey had gone. 

I mean these are all good points, but I think it's clearly more likely that he was just a filthy beta cuck.

Fry

After sacrificing so much to defeat the Empire the first time around who can blame the bloke for saying "ach, fuck this" when all the shit starts up again?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kelvin on July 03, 2018, 11:48:31 PM
He believes his - and the Jedi's - intervention creates more problems than it solves. It makes perfect sense that he would isolate himself from the galaxy, in the hope that the problems would be solved by others, rather than escalated any further by him and the Jedi teachings.

His intervention previously saved the galaxy and led to an era of peace rather than continued tyranny. Then he decided to train some apprentices, did it never occur to him that there was the possibility that one might be tempted by the dark side? What the hell was he teaching them, that was like Obi Wan's first lesson.

Of course it occurred to him. That's what led to it all happening the way it did.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Fry on July 04, 2018, 12:06:33 AM
After sacrificing so much to defeat the Empire the first time around who can blame the bloke for saying "ach, fuck this" when all the shit starts up again?

If Superman can't make people stop committing crimes who can blame him if he thinks fuck this and just fucks supermodels? You can write that story, the archetype fails, or you can deconstruct the hero, if you do it well it might work like Frank Miller did with Superman and Batman in The Dark Knight Returns. Wolverine is broken and dies in Logan. Worked great. Clint Eastwood is a retired gunfighter who is forced back into the ugly violence and it's maybe not so cool. Unforgiven, lovely stuff. If you are going to tell the story of how Luke Skywalker lost his faith, with the only chance you're going to have with the original cast, don't fuck it up.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2018, 12:07:13 AM
His intervention previously saved the galaxy and led to an era of peace rather than continued tyranny.

This is addressed in the film, when Luke points out that it was partly through the actions of the Jedi Order that Sideous rose to power in the first place.

And now, with his own mistakes with Ben Solo, he can see that he might be repeating history's mistakes and growing the threat, rather than subduing it.

It's all good and well a Jedi turning up and saving the galaxy every few decades, but Luke clearly believes that the Jedi are partially to blame for creating or enabling tyranny in the first place. Hence, why he tries to break the circle by going into hiding.

Eventually, Rey and Yoda persuade him that being a Jedi, and using the force, means more than a prescriptive set of religious rules and philosophies. At which point, he steps up to help again.   

mothman

I doubt an X-Wing submerged in presumably salty water for several years would be easily salvageable or repairable. Not - crucially - with no astromech droid to help him.

phantom_power

Also by causing a distraction rather than being there in person he upheld his vow not to fight and didn't allow Kylo or any of the baddies the satisfaction of killing him. It was a pure self-sacrifice.

Dr Rock

So here's the story - Superman is flying around, saving people. Then one day he's like 'I'm bored with this shit' and decides he's just going to fuck supermodels. So he's doing that, and one gives him backchat... in the heat of the moment Superman kicks her face off. Ashamed of what he's done, he flies off to Mars and lives as a hermit for ten years only venturing out occasionally to murder a Martian prostitute. Eventually Lois Lane finds a spaceship and flies it to Mars but Superman is like 'I said leave me alone fucksticks' and he kicks her face off. But then there's a big battle on Earth and Superman goes back and temporarily helps a little bit. But it wasn't Superman it was a hologram Superman, the real Superman is giving himself a heroin overdose with martian heroin, so he sort of dies or something. That story makes complete sense and is good, tell me what's wrong with it? Nothing. It's good.

phantom_power

Yes, and that is completely analogous to TLJ. Well done

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mothman on July 04, 2018, 07:20:02 AM
I doubt an X-Wing submerged in presumably salty water for several years would be easily salvageable or repairable. Not - crucially - with no astromech droid to help him.

Just needs a Force tune-up

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2018, 11:54:29 AM
So here's the story - Superman is flying around, saving people. Then one day he's like 'I'm bored with this shit' and decides he's just going to fuck supermodels. So he's doing that, and one gives him backchat... in the heat of the moment Superman kicks her face off. Ashamed of what he's done, he flies off to Mars and lives as a hermit for ten years only venturing out occasionally to murder a Martian prostitute. Eventually Lois Lane finds a spaceship and flies it to Mars but Superman is like 'I said leave me alone fucksticks' and he kicks her face off. But then there's a big battle on Earth and Superman goes back and temporarily helps a little bit. But it wasn't Superman it was a hologram Superman, the real Superman is giving himself a heroin overdose with martian heroin, so he sort of dies or something. That story makes complete sense and is good, tell me what's wrong with it? Nothing. It's good.

I still think it would have worked if his moustache wasn't cgi'd out.

greenman

The problem really is that the challenges this film threw in Lukes direction were ultimately nicked from the originals, dealing with failiure as in Empire and forgiveness of Vader in Jedi. Doing that and then essentially pretending such challenges didn't happen in those films by painting Luke as a more simplistic hero seems pretty arrogant, especially as the film didn't really have the guts to follow though on its own ideas.

Blumf

Quote from: mothman on July 04, 2018, 07:20:02 AM
with no astromech droid to help him.

Wasn't R2D2 around then? I kind of forget where he went to.

Butchers Blind

If only Bryan Singer had this script all those years back.  This should be made as written.

Blumf

Isn't that a sub-plot from Watchmen?

Bad Ambassador

Or even the actual plot.

Or maybe someone needs to stop endlessly mewling about how TLJ smells, when no one else actually agrees and they think its pretty great and odourless.

Malcy

Remake poster

https://twitter.com/frodesignco/status/1013923984318947328/photo/1

TLJ kept my attention for the 2 hrs but it finished with a 'is that it'? for me'. Fairly shite. But no need for a remake. The just want the publicity if how unhappy they are with it. It will never happen. Folk starving in the world but nah let's remake a film because we don't like it.

Idiots. Some people have life prioritised in the mist awful ways.