Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm 12

Started by AzureSky, December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

Larry's Siri rage was hack stuff. Producer Jeff Shaffer has said they added this late into the filming of the series as something similar happened to Larry and they wanted to capture it and drop it in somewhere. Not really worth it.

But Larry's matter-of-fact riff about why he wouldn't invite him to parties was a delight.

Mobbd

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 08, 2024, 11:23:41 AMBut Larry's matter-of-fact riff about why he wouldn't invite him to parties was a delight.

Yes! That was genuinely great. "I have a bad energy."

The Giggling Bean

I'm still enjoying the series but it's contrived as hell. I presume there's things set up, like the bereaved waiter, his girlfriend singing that commercial jingle etc that they'll come back to later in the series.

It wasn't the best episode but there was enough to enjoy in there.

Maurice Yeatman

Right from the start the pace seemed too rushed with a lot of quick edits, as if they had too many plot points to fit in.  Susie wasn't really Susie in her brief scene, but never mind. I did enjoy a lot of it even if it wasn't a classic, especially the glasses scene with Auntie Rae and 'peanut head'.

Cheryl Hines got an acting credit despite not being in it. I wonder if her bit had to go to make room for the rest or is it a contractual credit?

thugler

Podcast has so so many ads, goddamn have they not got enough money

scarecrow

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 08, 2024, 11:23:41 AMLarry's Siri rage was hack stuff. Producer Jeff Shaffer has said they added this late into the filming of the series as something similar happened to Larry and they wanted to capture it and drop it in somewhere. Not really worth it.

But Larry's matter-of-fact riff about why he wouldn't invite him to parties was a delight.
The continuity was weird here, from memory - it looked like he was getting in the car at night, then in the next scene, he was sitting down for lunch with Susie and Jeff. Wonder why they didn't just film it during the day. Unless they did and my mind is playing tricks.

Mobbd

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on February 08, 2024, 11:42:16 AMSusie wasn't really Susie in her brief scene, but never mind.

It's strange how she couldn't understood why Larry was being paid for the party appearance. Um, because he's a famous comedian? I know they don't have Curb in their universe but he's generally portrayed as pretty famous. Guess she was just putting him down even though it didn't make much sense.

thugler

It's got too many little short contrived bits and not enough gradual improvisation. It's still ok though. If they can get 3-4 good ones out of this series I'll be happy

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Mobbd on February 08, 2024, 06:26:14 PMIt's strange how she couldn't understood why Larry was being paid for the party appearance. Um, because he's a famous comedian? I know they don't have Curb in their universe but he's generally portrayed as pretty famous. Guess she was just putting him down even though it didn't make much sense.

I guess because she's completely desensitised to fame because they're in LA and it's Larry. I mean it wouldn't make sense as anything but a put down. Fucker co-created Seinfeld.

Mr Faineant

I'm really happy about this podcast, and will definitely listen to every episode, but I do find Jeff hard work to listen to. And by the way, his own podcast was very hard to listen to for the same reason.

He's not very funny in Curb, as others have said, but he is essential I think. He's an absolutely necessary prop, I guess.

mr. logic

Somebody on Reddit has worked out that the actor that sounded like a dickhead was most likely Dustin Hoffman

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: thugler on February 08, 2024, 12:50:37 PMPodcast has so so many ads, goddamn have they not got enough money

I've never heard a podcast with so many ads. Takes up 20 minutes of the runtime.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Listening to the podcast now. The way Jeff keeps interrupting Susie is maddening.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 11, 2024, 11:41:19 AMListening to the podcast now. The way Jeff keeps interrupting Susie is maddening.

".....AND BY THE WAY....."

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Mr Faineant on February 11, 2024, 02:15:07 AMAnd by the way, his own podcast was very hard to listen to for the same reason.

Genuinely loved By The Way, a podcast hosted by a man with no interest in his guests. The Conan episode (anecdotes on how Jeff is a selfish prick and being friends with him is a nightmare) and the Marc Maron one (Holding a banana to your ear and yelling hello, IS THAT FUNNY??) are particularly great.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on February 11, 2024, 04:21:33 PMGenuinely loved By The Way, a podcast hosted by a man with no interest in his guests. The Conan episode (anecdotes on how Jeff is a selfish prick and being friends with him is a nightmare) and the Marc Maron one (Holding a banana to your ear and yelling hello, IS THAT FUNNY??) are particularly great.

The Tig Notaro episode is fucking gold. She can barely hide her genuine disdain.

Also the Galafinakis episode.

neveragain

Second episode (lawn jockeys and gifts) not the best. Some funny bits near the end.

thugler

Not a great ep, just a bit too straightforward and again, way too quick. The scenes are all about a minute long max.

Edit: The line about 'put yo foot in it ribs' at the end made me laugh

bobloblaw

Enjoyed it. Pleasingly old-school Curb. Saw most pay-offs a mile off, but at this stage, that's not much of a problem. Some solid LD/Geoff moments, though I did question why (other than fear of Suzie) Leon would bother to invest in the replacement plan.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 12, 2024, 02:53:37 PMEnjoyed it. Pleasingly old-school Curb. Saw most pay-offs a mile off, but at this stage, that's not much of a problem. Some solid LD/Geoff moments, though I did question why (other than fear of Suzie) Leon would bother to invest in the replacement plan.

The thing is, most of the things that they buy into don't make any sense when you know Larry has hundreds of millions of dollars. You just have to ignore that.

Mobius

I enjoyed episode 2 although I thought the 1st one was better.

I know it's just improv and not worth overanalysing, but when Larry was talking to the black employee at the garden shop to buy the statue, why not just say "i'm renting an airbnb with a racist statue outside. i know, disgusting right? and my friend is making me replace it.. what a bitch" or something. The "umm ahh, it's a long story" was so evasive, I expected the bloke to show up later or some sort of followup.

The Guiliani reference felt a little dated.

Is this series going to end up with him in prison like the Seinfeld ending? Or running for some political office?

Mobius

Quote from: Mr Faineant on February 13, 2024, 02:13:58 AMThe thing is, most of the things that they buy into don't make any sense when you know Larry has hundreds of millions of dollars.

Yeah it's the same as how he changes from Seinfeld creator/The LD who exists in our world, to just a random person. In reality, every other scene would have people taking photos of him in public or mentioning Seinfeld or asking him about the Fatwa or something.

amoral

Great interview with Larry on the latest Conan podcast. He's a very charming and interesting guy.

mhmhmh

Another podcast at https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2024/1/31/24056379/tortured-new-york-jets-fans-nfl-fixes-25-year-run-curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david

The Guiliani reference in Ep2 was horribly signposted, just trust people watching to work it out. Was where they bought the jockey called the Four Seasons Garden Centre?

Mr Faineant

Quote from: mhmhmh on February 13, 2024, 10:50:04 AMAnother podcast at https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2024/1/31/24056379/tortured-new-york-jets-fans-nfl-fixes-25-year-run-curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david

The Guiliani reference in Ep2 was horribly signposted, just trust people watching to work it out. Was where they bought the jockey called the Four Seasons Garden Centre?

Do you mean that you saw it coming a mile away, or that the punchline could have been missed?

derek stitt

The wafting away dance of the smelly shit was quite camp, given the overly expensive and nutrient filled diet LD eats, suspect the turds to have an eye watering level of stench. In a round about way, am echoing the sentiment that the  long time multi millionaire, entitled and pampered grouch like Larry can't still be a man of the people. It's a minor grumble though and that second episode laid some good foundation for the series finale.

wrec

Spoilers abound:

Quote from: Mobius on February 13, 2024, 02:26:05 AMI know it's just improv and not worth overanalysing, but when Larry was talking to the black employee at the garden shop to buy the statue, why not just say "i'm renting an airbnb with a racist statue outside. i know, disgusting right? and my friend is making me replace it.. what a bitch" or something. The "umm ahh, it's a long story" was so evasive, I expected the bloke to show up later or some sort of followup.

This did my head in too. I don't think you can put it down to improv, I reckon what you said is the obvious thing for anyone to do IRL or in improv.

Also didn't think it was great that a glimpse of the jockey turned the church crowd into a baying mob, with Larry ostensibly the victim of a misunderstanding. Or that he's alternately hailed as a civil rights hero or condemned as racist.

I found the second gift thing weak both as a scheme and as something for Susie to go ballistic about.

I did laugh at the lawyer inanely babbling "if you don't have the beans, you don't have the coffee" and so on. Emmett was pretty, pretty, pretty, good

QuoteIs this series going to end up with him in prison like the Seinfeld ending? Or running for some political office?

Ah... fan theory: flash forward in the last episode to a miserable Larry's presidential inauguration. Potential Bernie Sanders cameo or subplot at some point (remember they turned out to be distant cousins IRL?). Cheryl's real-life husband is running FFS so Larry would at least have pictured it. The cast have suggested that there's a fairly definite ending to the series but nobody dies.

jobotic

Had no idea Cheryl Hines was married to that fuckwit.

mhmhmh

Quote from: Mr Faineant on February 13, 2024, 12:13:11 PMDo you mean that you saw it coming a mile away, or that the punchline could have been missed?

Sorry, yes, that it was obvious from when the dye started running, didn't need the 'Giuliani!' thing. But anyway Larry David is great so whatever. Looking forward to the re-do of the Seinfeld ending.

Dunno when Cheryl will be back, she's a 'permanent cast member' so gets a credit regardless of whether or not she is actually onscreen.

Echo the anti republican shite of the last few episodes, its not added anything funny and is pure american lib SNL level jokes