Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster s17

Started by MigraineBoy, August 24, 2023, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's always difficult to judge a dynamic based on the first ep - but that was alright.

Bad Ambassador

What the fuck was that group task? I had no idea what was going on?

Twilkes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 28, 2024, 10:32:18 PMWhat the fuck was that group task? I had no idea what was going on?

Jesus Sophie it's been six months, just let it go.

neveragain

Enjoyed that one. All contestants very likable.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: neveragain on March 28, 2024, 11:11:47 PMEnjoyed that one. All contestants very likable.

Yeah, I thought that too. The egg task was a bit shit though. Also, whilst I really liked Pemberton, I'm a bit worried he'll just make me think how brilliant Reece would be.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 28, 2024, 10:32:18 PMWhat the fuck was that group task? I had no idea what was going on?

I think that's definitely a task where they realised it had too many elements in the edit. It feels like the discussion over who fits which of the categories was meant to play a bigger part.

Enjoyed that a lot though. Pemberton's brain is lovely.

Ja'moke

Group task was shite. But the rest was promising, particularly enjoyed Sophie trying to hop across a river.

I usually really dislike the overly complicated tasks, but Sophie's confusion during the group one led to some big laughs here.

Loved the other tasks. Felt like classic Taskmaster. Do a with b. Get the x on the y. Sophie in the river was a great bit of slapstick. She's going to be great value.

Steve's auctioning off his Peg Mavis for charity. It's already at £330: https://www.jumblebee.co.uk/taskmaster#buzz_expend_256138

Twilkes

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 29, 2024, 09:10:10 AMSteve's auctioning off his Peg Mavis for charity. It's already at £330: https://www.jumblebee.co.uk/taskmaster#buzz_expend_256138

I can't be the only one that thought Thelma Barlow had died a long time ago. Nice to hear she's still up and about, so many people have died over the last few decades.

Norton Canes

Thought it was as reliably great as ever. TBH they seem to have the formula down so smoothly now that despite the odd duff task (was anyone really going to waste time struggling to get those waders on?) I don't notice much fluctuation in quality from series to series.

Have they said anything about whether there were rescue and/or medical teams on standby for the gorilla task? Seems to me that wading into any fast-flowing water is a potential risk (particularly if it turns out the bed is 'like quicksand'), before factoring in the possibility (especially if it's Thames Water) that the contestants are basically going to be wallowing in human shit.

The Lurker

What was the whole smallest Wiki page stuff about on the team task? Either way, good solid start - series has potential

Tiggles

Enjoyed that a lot. V funny prize tasks, although maybe the egg task wasn't the strongest one to open with on the filmed tasks. Wonder if John is going to end up in a big stress-out at Sophie at some point?

Only one episode to go off but early review

Funny: Nick, Steve, Sophie

Not funny: John and Joanne

Nick has the perfect chilled anti Greg energy to bounce off each other

Twilkes

I thought they were all great. I wasn't sure about Joanne at the start of her interview but was converted by the end, and John isn't an immediate character but will build over the series like so many other contestants have, possibly involving some kind of catastrophic psychological arc.

FeederFan500

I too did not actually understand the order thing. I got the longest wiki bit and then couldn't remember any of the others. I think those composite images work best when they look distorted or good rather than completely random like that one.

So far I think I like all of them which is promising.

As I understood it, the criteria was there to determine which blind went where.  So - if you had an Edinburgh Award winning show, you were painting the head, if your wikipedia entry is longest of your team, you are next, and so on.

The reason it didn't work here is because there was no jeopardy -  Steve and Nick were far too competent in their understanding of it and their painting, and on the other team Sophie just did her own fucking thing anyway, so there was never going to be an animal with a bit the wrong place, because there wasn't ever going to be one animal.

But, another series, other teams - it could've been the element that made the task.

superthunderstingcar

John Robins immediately identifiable as the one who is going to be overly competitive and who has also watched every series of Taskmaster before this one, as evidenced by his looking under the table before opening the first task.

Yet he still (barring editing trickery) managed to miss the waders and the rogue pawn.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought that was a lot better than I initially expected, mainly as I only knew Steve Pemberton really well. I have minor concerns about Nick being a bit too low energy, and Joanne took a while to grow on me, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series now.

DrGreggles

Not a fan of Robins*, so he's going to have his work cut out, but the rest all look like they'll be good value.

*not just the Queen thing, I find him rather irritating regardless

greencalx

Having had no prior exposure to any of the contestants (yes, I am that out of touch) I can take them all as they present themselves on this show, which seemed absolutely fine to me.

Spoiler alert
I rather liked "Grieg's diaries" as something that sounded like "Greg Davies" myself
[close]

The Late Satoru Iwata

Is Pemberton slowly turning into Derek Jacobi?

holyzombiejesus

I guess it's to do with schedules and getting specific people to the house on the same day but I wish they'd mix up the teams sometimes.

Don't like John Robins. He has a gently amusing comedy persona but his punchlines are useless.

Sophie Willan Wikipedia has her down as 37 born in 1987. How laughable.

selectivememory

Wasn't really feeling this, maybe just wasn't in the mood for it though. Appreciated Pemberton and I think Willan could be quite good too.

Quote from: Brian Dunklefun on April 02, 2024, 06:25:30 PMSophie Willan Wikipedia has her down as 37 born in 1987. How laughable.

I don't understand. Does she look too old or young to you?

DrGreggles

That's a Bolton 37 to be fair.

Quote from: selectivememory on April 02, 2024, 06:40:34 PMWasn't really feeling this, maybe just wasn't in the mood for it though. Appreciated Pemberton and I think Willan could be quite good too.

I don't understand. Does she look too old or young to you?

I seriously thought she was early 50s.

I don't think its rare for a female performer to lie about their age or have it wrong. Lou Sanders is open about lying about hers.

burst_arm

I do like John R and have seen him live a couple of times , but he is essentially a Partridge tribute act.

selectivememory

Quote from: Brian Dunklefun on April 02, 2024, 06:43:39 PMI seriously thought she was early 50s.

I don't think its rare for a female performer to lie about their age or have it wrong. Lou Sanders is open about lying about hers.

Fair enough. I have no idea, but 37 seems plausible enough to me.

Twilkes

Official docs confirm Willan as 36, middle name is after a Tolkien poem. Her clothing and hairstyle might place her as older than she is, and sounds like she had a rough time in her younger days. This is her at a fashionable 25yo: https://nikkiwordsmith.com/arndale-elf-suit/

Led Souptin

Quote from: Brian Dunklefun on April 02, 2024, 06:25:30 PMSophie Willan Wikipedia has her down as 37 born in 1987. How laughable.

You are grim. Don't be so fucking nasty. Your time starts now