Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Romulus.

Started by Glebe, March 20, 2024, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Is it just me then who doesn't like Aliens?
"Game over, man. Game over."

Glebe

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: kalowski on March 22, 2024, 05:39:36 PMIs it just me then who doesn't like Aliens?

I'm not a huge fan - it's good for what it is but I don't really like war films (which it is, sort of). I haven't watched it since I was a teenager, mind.

I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread about the 1st film - singular, unknowable horror. More lacunae please.

Like Halloween 3, Alien3 is a mess but I like it a lot - the prevalence of British actors gives it the feel of a particularly unhinged episode of Play for Today.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: kalowski on March 22, 2024, 05:39:36 PMIs it just me then who doesn't like Aliens?

I had only seen Alien before then watched all of them (that existed then) over a few sick days off work about 6-7 years ago and hated Aliens. Mostly due to the squaddies.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Jerzy Bondov

I like Alien Resurrection more than Aliens and Alien3. It's a good entry in what I call the late 90s sleepover movie genre - where a crew of weirdos go through a dangerous place having banter, double crossing each other, getting picked off. Like Deep Blue Sea, or Jurassic Park 2, or something like that. Obviously not actually a classic film of any kind. The hybrid monster is scary and sad. Brad Dourif is off his nut. I also think Sigourney Weaver gives it a way better performance than it deserves, and I prefer the shitty annoying Whedon banter of the crew in Resurrection to the cunty marine banter in Aliens.

Not even one billionth as good as Alien though.

ZoyzaSorris

Still amazed anyone doesn't love Aliens. Literally one of my all time favourite films and possibly best action film ever IMO. I guess I'm working out people have different tastes perhaps, and not everyone is the same, who knew! Haha

Bad Ambassador

Aliens is my least favourite too, again largely because it's an action movie, which is a genre I'm not especially interested in. A better writer than James Cameron is needed to get me engaged.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 20, 2024, 07:17:05 PMhow do they keep fucking this up, it's not rocket science jfc.

Formulaic as this is, it would look basically alright if everything wasn't FUCKING GOD FUCKING DAMNED FUCKING CGI.

Look at those weightless aliens. They look so incredibly Not Fucking There. The puppets and miniatures of 50 years ago still look INFINITELY better (and scarier) than all this shhhhhhite.

It really is time to smash all the computers with a hammer, smash them to smithereens and go back to practical effects. They're cheaper, and they're vastly better.
According to a clickbait headline I saw on Facebook, the director has said that nearly all of the effects are practical. Time will tell whether he's telling the truth or not.

Pete23

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 26, 2024, 09:43:49 AMStill amazed anyone doesn't love Aliens. Literally one of my all time favourite films and possibly best action film ever IMO. I guess I'm working out people have different tastes perhaps, and not everyone is the same, who knew! Haha

I love Aliens, but The Alien - the weird Geiger creature that totally captured my imagination as a 10 year old and haunted my nightmares ever since - is basically cannon fodder in that film so it's never going to be my favourite.

The Bumlord

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 20, 2024, 07:17:05 PMLook at those weightless aliens. They look so incredibly Not Fucking There. The puppets and miniatures of 50 years ago still look INFINITELY better (and scarier) than all this shhhhhhite.

I refer you to Alien's jazz hands moment in the vent and the hilarious bit at the end where your man in the costume is spinning around on a string

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: The Bumlord on March 27, 2024, 01:24:19 PMI refer you to Alien's jazz hands moment in the vent and the hilarious bit at the end where your man in the costume is spinning around on a string

Sure that's true, but I refer you to the rest of the movie.

Meanwhile the CGI aliens, even the best of them, simply have no presence. I'll admit that I'm a total curmudgeon on this front but CGI just seems to bring out the worst impulses in directors. Jurassic Park, as is often noted, remains one of the best uses because it was there only to augment the practical effects where absolutely necessary. Now it's just slathered like ketchup on chips, and barely any adventure / fantasy (etc) movies seem tangible, they're all just sheen, sluicing emptily across your eyeballs.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 26, 2024, 12:18:08 PMAccording to a clickbait headline I saw on Facebook, the director has said that nearly all of the effects are practical. Time will tell whether he's telling the truth or not.

Cautious interest / weary doubt. Let's hope for the best!