Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

branson to pioneer space travel

Started by smoker, June 10, 2004, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker

http://www.guardian.co.uk/space/article/0,14493,1235926,00.html

making it affordable for "the ordinary people"

i wonder how many takers he'll get from britain? people might be a little wary knowing his trains so well, a ten hour delay tends to be a tad more serious if you only have a finite supply of oxygen

Pinball

He really is a self-publicising prick isn't he? The words "full of hot air" spring to mind. What will this hero do next?

"Branson to cure AIDS"
"Branson to democratise the Middle East"
"Branson to invent new energy source to solve oil crisis"
"Branson to heat Britain with his hot air"....

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "Pinball"He really is a self-publicising prick isn't he? The words "full of hot air" spring to mind. What will this hero do next?

"Branson to cure AIDS"

Hehehe, when I saw this thread pop up, I instantly thought that you would be first to post to it. I also thought that I would be second to post to it :)
Cripes, where's Yvette Fielding when I need to scare the shit out of her?

Quote from: "Pinball"He really is a self-publicising prick isn't he? The words "full of hot air" spring to mind. What will this hero do next?

"Branson to cure AIDS"

I think that is a bit unfair.

that's all.

Crazy Penis

Was he the man who started out with almost nothing?

Kendo Nagasaki

Yes, apart from rich parents and a private school education.  Poor, deprived lamb!

hoverdonkey

Yes, it wouldn't be on to think highly of a successful entrepreneur now would it

Cue lots of stories of how is a bastard to his employees etc... yawn

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "Kendo Nagasaki"Yes, apart from rich parents and a private school education.  Poor, deprived lamb!

I did actually mean it this way.

QuoteHe started a Student Advisory Centre at 17, aiming to help young people. At twenty years old, he founded Virgin as a mail order record retailer and a short while later, he opened a record shop in Oxford Street, London. In 1972, a recording studio was built in Oxfordshire where the first Virgin artist, Mike Oldfield, recorded "Tubular Bells", later released in 1973.

From
http://www.askmen.com/men/december99/6c_richard_branson.html

Pinball

His parents (well, daddy) paid for the studio and shop. I'm not knocking his success, but the rich do have a slight advantage in getting richer...

Alberon

Looking at the article it does seem to be linked to the company behind SpaceShipOne that is going to have a crack at the X-Prize in just eleven days time.

What Branson is probably talking about is probably a larger version of SpaceShipOne that will be able to carry more people in sub-orbital hops, though you're probably still looking at several tens of thousands of pounds to do it.

There would only be a few minutes of weightlessness as it wouldn't go into orbit (though that does mean coming down is a lot easier and safer than it is from orbit).

Having said all that. I'd do it.

And Branson is a twat, but commercial manned spaceflight can only be applauded.

king mob

Quote from: "hoverdonkey"Yes, it wouldn't be on to think highly of a successful entrepreneur now would it

Cue lots of stories of how is a bastard to his employees etc... yawn

Hes very good to his employees & operates a healthy idea that the staff should be kept happy, odd for someone whos so evil and makes Saddam look like Brian Cant.

Fuck it, i'd go up, a chance to get into space, you'd be mad to knock it back.

sproggy

Top bloke our Dickie, shame there aren't more like him in the world of global business.  How the fuck he didn't get the national lottery deal I'll never know.

I'm surprised at you Pinny, this is the man who took on the monopoly of BA and won.  He is a shrewd businessman with a conscience, attributes seldom seen in one person.

I'm saving for my ticket, sounds ace!

SoupPig

Bransons greatest achievement to date is getting away with saying "fuckin`ell" whilst going down a  mini helter skelter on Noel`s House Party.

Pinball

He is relatively good, but I can't help criticising ;-)

zozman

I know his insurance company doesn't give life insurance to people suspected of being homosexual based on age/marital status and if word is believed, what they might buy on their credit cards (nope I don't mean anal dildos before you start.....)

He also owns that big gay club in Larrrndon.  Is it G.A.Y. or something?

Bit hypocritical I reckon

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "Pinball"He is relatively good, but I can't help criticising ;-)

hehehe

I was making the point that his dad could have easily set him up right from the off, but at least he started out proper. I guess I didn't explain my point properly but I was trying to leave room for thought to help promote the sale of fish. I have no idea what I'm saying here so please ignore me.

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "zozman"I know his insurance company doesn't give life insurance to people suspected of being homosexual based on age/marital status and if word is believed, what they might buy on their credit cards (nope I don't mean anal dildos before you start.....)

He also owns that big gay club in Larrrndon.  Is it G.A.Y. or something?

Bit hypocritical I reckon

apparently it's called the roof gardens

http://www.roofgardens.com/introduction/news/

G.A.Y. must be the name of a night

zozman

[/quote]

apparently it's called the roof gardens

http://www.roofgardens.com/introduction/news/

G.A.Y. must be the name of a night[/quote]

Apparently ! - heh heh.

sproggy

Quote from: "zozman"I know his insurance company doesn't give life insurance to people suspected of being homosexual based on age/marital status...

Knackered old poofs?   Just recall how many times Quentin Crisp got his cunt kicked-in, then you might realise they're a liability.

Makes good business sense if you ask me ;-)

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "zozman"G.A.Y. must be the name of a night

Apparently ! - heh heh.

I think you're getting your G.A.Y. nights mixed up. The only two in London I've found are the gay night @ Heaven and G-A-Y. On google. Maybe he's got other plans for the night.