Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vape-ginity

Started by Clownbaby, March 07, 2024, 06:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Bought myself a Juul beginner's kit today. I don't smoke, but I have wanted to find something that is a relaxing substance after deciding to quit drinking. I've smoked the odd bit of weed and like CBD oils and drinks, but I thought I'd give the vapours a go. Any recommendations for disposable/reusable products for a beginner? Nowt that tastes/smells like artificial fruit/popcorn/cupcakes though mind. Gag. Also as good as they may be, I'm not prepared to spend more than £50 on a device until I know I actually enjoy it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

No I've never fucked a vape. Majorly insecure about it tbh

Barry Admin

You want to relax but you're taking a stimulant?

My recommendation is to get away from this shit while you can, it's torture. And these things are super addictive and there's no end to them after 5 minutes, unlike fegs, so you can sit and chain vape all day unless you physically remove the things from your presence.

Disposables are unbelievably addictive. Seriously.

I just chatted with a nurse about this yesterday, she said her daughter never smoked in her life, but just took up vaping, and all these adult non-smokers like her are drifting towards it now.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, vapes are not safe. My uncle has been in danger of losing his leg for months and months now because smoking/vaping fucks your circulation, and there isn't much they can do to fix it. They sliced him open for an operation recently, right down his belly, huge scar.

Sorry to be negative but seriously, don't do it.

Well done on getting away from the booze!

bgmnts

Yeah quitting drinking is boss but getting into smoking seems antiproductive.

Maurice Yeatman

Who knew that sucking burning liquid air freshener into your lungs might not be a good idea?

Shaxberd

You can vape weed and CBD, it's not 'good for you' exactly but it's easier on the lungs than smoking.

It might be better to find things that replicate a relaxing experience, though, rather than substances. There's some fairly decent non-alc beers and spirits out there now which help fill the gap of having a beverage to wind down with.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 07, 2024, 06:45:27 PMYou can vape weed and CBD, it's not 'good for you' exactly but it's easier on the lungs than smoking.

It might be better to find things that replicate a relaxing experience, though, rather than substances. There's some fairly decent non-alc beers and spirits out there now which help fill the gap of having a beverage to wind down with.

Filled with sugar and other shit.

I'm afraid there is no shortcut to relaxation that isn't fucking awful for you.

Shaxberd

Less calorific and headache-inducing than their boozy counterparts, though.

Different things work for different people but I struggle to give things up completely, puts me in a very bad space mentally of constantly self-criticising, so reducing rather than removing helps, and so do ersatz versions for weekdays. Life would be dull with no indulgences at all.

druss

Nicotine is the most pointless drug ever. I say this as someone who has tried and been addicted to most drugs. All of them have had at least some enjoyment factor, apart from nicotine. You'd be better off banging your head against a wall repeatedly so that you get the relaxing feeling of not banging your head against a wall when you decide to stop banging your head against a wall.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 07, 2024, 06:45:27 PMIt might be better to find things that replicate a relaxing experience, though, rather than substances. There's some fairly decent non-alc beers and spirits out there now which help fill the gap of having a beverage to wind down with.

They're stocking them in the Mace now :-( there's no fucking escape. I deliberately try to avoid even seeing alcohol in shops, and tbh, I think all these replacements are shit, and just a way to keep you on the tit. Sooner or later, I'll wager most people have "fuck it, might as well have a real one" moments.

touchingcloth

Butchers Blind

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 07, 2024, 07:00:49 PMI'm afraid there is no shortcut to relaxation that isn't fucking awful for you.

I was going to say wanking, but you're right.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 07, 2024, 06:39:06 PMYeah quitting drinking is boss but getting into smoking seems antiproductive.

Addiction displacement can go pretty badly. Before you know it you're knitting like an electric nan, going mental for olives and accidentally running to Windsor.

@Clownbaby, would CBD oil be an option? I recently got some of the Trip "Dream Drops" which is the highest dose they sell. There's no "high", no drowsiness, but there's been a noticable effect on my anxiety and I've been sleeping really well. As a bonus it also tastes really nice. Yes, Trip is the Waitrose of CBD and there are probably stronger, more effective CBD oils out there in less pastel-coloured packaging, but I'm impressed so far and will probably buy it again.

Rev+

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 07, 2024, 06:33:44 PMAnd these things are super addictive and there's no end to them after 5 minutes, unlike fegs, so you can sit and chain vape all day unless you physically remove the thinga from your presence.

I'm a smoker who has dabbled with vapes, and this is my exact problem with them.  At least a tab has a built-in timer.  A fag break lasts as long as your oily rag.  When are you ever done with these things, and why stop taking a draw if it's there?

I mean, I'm not recommending getting on the fags as an alternative, but Juul is a weird one.  A friend just does nicotine free vapes as a thing to do for the daft flavours, why not try that first?

jobotic

I gave up fags four years ago but did it without vapes. Thought it would be a good idea if necessary but managed without one. Mainly because I remember my friend, on one of his many doomed attempts to quit cigarettes trying vaping (in its early days) and complaining that he felt sick. I remember pointing out that he hadn't stopped puffing on it for an hour. Imagine lighting one cigarette off the other for an hour.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on March 07, 2024, 06:43:23 PMWho knew that sucking burning liquid air freshener into your lungs might not be a good idea?

Yeah, awful things.  Just when we were getting control of smoking some fucking cunt goes and invents these things.

oggyraiding

I use the Oxva Xlim Pro which is about £25. It's a pod system, so you buy the empty pods for £10 for 3, then you fill them with the desired liquid, which are often 3 for £10 at most vape emporiums and there's many brands and flavours. Depending on usage, £20 on 3 pods and 3 liquids lasts me a couple of weeks. That's less than two packs of fags.  The pods do have a lifespan not much greater than what you'd get out of a 10ml vape liquid bottle, so bad for the environment, but not as bad (or expensive) as disposables.

It's a shit habit, you'd do better out of it.

Midas

What about bath salts

Midas

DrumsAndWires

JesusAndYourBush

Even a stopped clock is right sometimes!

Bingo Fury

Don't even consider it. I've never vaped, but, oh boy, do I know nicotine. It's an insidious and (as pointed out upthread totally pointless) drug, and it's been the bane of my life. If you get into vaping, sooner or later you'll want to kick it, which is hard as fuck, so what's the point?

JesusAndYourBush

Every time there's a drugs discussion someone always parrots the tired old line about "If alcohol was invented now, it'd be banned."  We now know that's not true because they didn't ban vapes.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Bingo Fury on March 08, 2024, 01:10:33 AMDon't even consider it. I've never vaped, but, oh boy, do I know nicotine. It's an insidious and (as pointed out upthread totally pointless) drug, and it's been the bane of my life. If you get into vaping, sooner or later you'll want to kick it, which is hard as fuck, so what's the point?

Yeah, @Clownbaby, do NOT vape anything with nicotine in it.  Under no circumstances.  It's a horrible insidious drug.

Quote from: druss on March 07, 2024, 07:16:57 PMNicotine is the most pointless drug ever. I say this as someone who has tried and been addicted to most drugs. All of them have had at least some enjoyment factor, apart from nicotine. You'd be better off banging your head against a wall repeatedly so that you get the relaxing feeling of not banging your head against a wall when you decide to stop banging your head against a wall.

This was the single biggest insight I took away from the Allen Carr book... that the nice feeling you get from a nicotine hit is simply the feeling that non-addicts have all the time.

Smoking a fag or puffing on a vape isn't making you feel better than the average person's baseline... it's merely bringing you back up to it by relieving the withdrawal craving that's built up since your last hit.

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 07, 2024, 06:25:42 PM...I have wanted to find something that is a relaxing substance...

Fair enough, perhaps, by all means try the ol' CBD (although I'm no expert), but just to reiterate, nicotine is NOT it!  The only relaxation that a nicotine addict feels when they smoke/vape is the relief from their withdrawal symptoms.

If you've never smoked before, inhaling nicotine won't relax you at all, it'll just make you feel a bit giddy and sick.  It's not a relaxant in itself, quite the opposite.  To repeat myself yet again, the only "relaxation" it ever provides anyone is the temporary relief of withdrawal symptoms from the previous hit.

I'll stop now. :-)

Good luck with finding something that works for you.

A nice mug of hot chocolate?  Only half-joking...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 08, 2024, 01:38:52 AMEvery time there's a drugs discussion someone always parrots the tired old line about "If alcohol was invented now, it'd be banned."  We now know that's not true because they didn't ban vapes.

Mmmmmm, yeah, not sure that really works though, given that vapes are just an existing drug delivered in a safer form.

They're not a new drug as such.  Still nicotine.

druss

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 08, 2024, 01:43:19 AMYeah, @Clownbaby, do NOT vape anything with nicotine in it.  Under no circumstances.  It's a horrible insidious drug.

This was the single biggest insight I took away from the Allen Carr book... that the nice feeling you get from a nicotine hit is simply the feeling that non-addicts have all the time.

Smoking a fag or puffing on a vape isn't making you feel better than the average person's baseline... it's merely bringing you back up to it by relieving the withdrawal craving that's built up since your last hit.

Fair enough, perhaps, by all means try the ol' CBD (although I'm no expert), but just to reiterate, nicotine is NOT it!  The only relaxation that a nicotine addict feels when they smoke/vape is the relief from their withdrawal symptoms.

If you've never smoked before, inhaling nicotine won't relax you at all, it'll just make you feel a bit giddy and sick.  It's not a relaxant in itself, quite the opposite.  To repeat myself yet again, the only "relaxation" it ever provides anyone is the temporary relief of withdrawal symptoms from the previous hit.

It's a great book that likely saved me from a slow and painful death. I smoked 20 a day for well over a decade before I quit in 2012. I am so relieved that vaping was not a thing around that time as I don't think I would have read that book and would probably still be a slave to nicotine even now.

Mindfulness and meditation can be great, tried it for years but feel like it's only this year that I've finally been able to occasionally find utter bliss with being present and existing. It can be fleeting but those moments are priceless.

shoulders

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 07, 2024, 06:33:44 PMSorry to be negative but seriously, don't do it.

Agreed.

Eggy Mess

I took up vaping for about a fortnight last year in an effort to get off the snouts. As it happened, I just did both, until I quit the vapes.

Another vote here for vapes being waaaaayyyyy more addictive than fags in terms of not having a built in timer, plus I vaped in the car, in the house & generally in places where I would never smoke tabs.

In summary then, vapes = bad news. Have you considered taking up smoking?

dontpaintyourteeth

I fucking hate vaping. The perception of it as being fine to do makes people much less considerate than they ever were smoking cigs. Oh walking past are you mate, I'll just blow this smoke that smells like someone vomited golden syrup directly into your face, it's not cigarette smoke so I'm sure you're fine with it.