Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:36:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Chris Morris famous enough that his death would be reported in TV news?

Started by Gob Shine Algorithm, January 06, 2023, 09:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gob Shine Algorithm

I'm preoccupied with whether Chris Morris is famous enough that, when he dies (hopefully decades and decades and decades from now), will the mainstream TV news report it? I'm thinking News at 10, News 24, Sky, etc. I often have the same thought about a lot of other cult figures that I love, like Alan Moore, Slavoj Zizek, Iain Lee, etc -- but Chris Morris is easily the one I think on most.

It seems unlikely, but at the same time ...how could they _not_ report it? He was (is?) such an ambitious, pivotal figure in comedy.

I remember I was weirdly, darkly, unhealthily proud when they told in the mainstream news that Mark E. Smith had died -- and I had the enjoyment of explaining to all my (mainstream) mates who he was and what he did. I don't know -- maybe it's all just a case of me projecting my own need for recognition and / or love onto celebs? Or maybe it doesn't even matter?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If he dies decades from now, he'll be noted as the director of three feature films.

shoulders

He worked for the BBC and Channel 4 so they'll give him plenty of coverage, probably the broadsheets too.

BlodwynPig

Victor Lewis-Smith got a lot of coverage, so it would be a real stab to the throat if Morris did not get the same (watered down, point missing) coverage.

Brundle-Fly

Every obit will feature the words, 'he was no stranger to controversy'.

BlodwynPig

Christopher Morris, star of Harry Potter, Dr Who and Ladbaby Christmas No. 1s, had died at the age of 72.

El Unicornio, mang

Wouldn't surprise me if "star of the IT Crowd" was his death headline.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 07, 2023, 06:29:34 PMWouldn't surprise me if "star of the IT Crowd" was his death headline.

....who owed his career to Graham Linehan and famously betrayed him.....,

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 07, 2023, 04:49:15 PMChristopher Morris, star of Harry Potter, Dr Who and Ladbaby Christmas No. 1s, had died at the age of 72.

Shtum, please John Titor.

Feralkid

Given that Gunnar Hanson's passing made the Radio 4 news I think it's safe to assume that Morris will be covered widely by the UK media when he slips off this mortal coil.

Icehaven

Depends when he dies. If it was next week then it'd be fairly big news, but given his slowing work rate/arguably diminishing returns if he lives to 99 there's a reasonable chance he won't have done much of note for 30 years and anyone who remembers him will be dead/permanently hooked up to a VR machine showing Brasseye.   

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: Icehaven on January 19, 2023, 02:54:30 PMand anyone who remembers him will be dead

Age 110 plus, I'll still try to memorialise him by doing a prank-call, or getting a tannoy-jockey to read out a stupid name, or asking a newsagent if they've ever been to Hell -- but they'll probably all be robots / mindless snowflakes, and they'll just patiently do everything I ask as if all consciousness has gone from the world.

imitationleather

Urinal Cake

Cast member of the IT Crowd and director Chris Morris passed away today.

So yeah maybe?

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 24, 2023, 12:47:03 AMCast member of the IT Crowd and director Chris Morris passed away today.

_(Shows behind-the-scenes footage of Morris and the cast, but with Linehan edited out by PC Time Cops)_

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 24, 2023, 12:47:03 AMCast member of the IT Crowd and director Chris Morris passed away today.

So yeah maybe?

A shame he never got that part in Harry Potter.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 24, 2023, 08:45:57 AMA shame he never got that part in Harry Potter.
Imagine if he did though- GLinner could finally meet Saint Joanne.