Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local "stars"

Started by George White, July 16, 2017, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrykeshton

Gill Jordan/Doreen Tipton in the West Midlands.  Not sure the humour travels

Glebe

Made my day that has George!

badaids

When I lived in France there was a bloke who cycled round the town all day every day baaing like a sheep. For about 6 years. Literally every day all day for 6 years.

At first it was amusing, but quickly it got to be very annoying. Hed just go around baaing, waking people up, getting on people's tits.

In the end there was a radio special about him in which he claimed he was an artist and this was his performance piece.

Of course it fucking was.

In the end he stopped because he kept getting attacked.

studpuppet

Quote from: badaids on January 27, 2023, 10:33:35 PMWhen I lived in France there was a bloke who cycled round the town all day every day baaing like a sheep.

Glebe

^Cleese's GB News show there.

Feralkid

Quote from: George White on July 19, 2017, 10:07:08 AMTHITW Gang's other stuff though, didn't they try drama, some Fr. Brendan Smyth biopic with future GOT actor Ian Beattie as the bumming  bastard.

They did, yes. I still have that on DVD-R, somewhere. Easily the worst TV dramatisation of real events I've ever seen. There's a scene where a priest of meant to be typing on a keyboard but the angle makes it very clear that his digits are stopping a good centimetre or two away from the keys. Some Ed Wood level blocking and directing there.

I also recall there being some wildly unconvincing location work too. One of Smyth's victim's is supposed to be poor and struggling but the location they've used for her lodgings is an airy and spacious South Belfast house with stacks of neatly shelved CDs visible in the frame.

Famous Mortimer

Beatle Bob.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/music/beatle-bobs-concert-streak-comes-to-an-end-after-27-year-run-39333095

On the surface, seems like a cheery local eccentric, but every local band hates him because he begs for free tickets, pretends to be a journalist, has been caught stealing from a bunch of locations, etc. The above story's comments have a lot of people not exactly upset he's no longer going to be attending shows.

George White

RE:the Smith film, it's on Tubi.

God I'd love to interview Sean Brady, but that's another thread entirely, though he is  a 'local star'.

Because he seems to be one of these old school Catholic types who seems to think that underage rape of young boys is fine as long as you keep it secret, but anyone who has a consensual of age homosexual relationship deserves to be punished. What if the loving men took an oath of silence every time they had sex?
I did try to contact him several times, once claiming that I believed paedo priests were possessed by the Devil, to get on his side. And then when I got his address, he had moved away, and no one knew where he was.
I remember he did a speech about anti-gay marriage, which may be the nearest I've ever been convinced that gay marriage is bad, that it was the greatest revolution of the  history of rthe Irish family, but at the harm of many heterosexual married couples.
But I wonder, what makes him think that rape can be forgiven. Is it an old-school 'forgive and forget' mentality, at the centre of the idea of an oath of silence? Naivety? Brady is clearly an intelligent, well-respected man. I'd love to hear his own state. Does he think that an non-cleric rapist should be treated in the same way?
I have to say he does remind me of Harry Hay, one of the founders of Radical Faeries and top man of NAMBLA.
 https://www.accord.ie/resources/articles/the-family-as-the-foundation-of-society-address-by-cardinal-sean-brady

George White

Ohmigod, discovered while looking Brendan Grace on TVBrain, he did a 3-2-1, look it up, and find it was an Irish special featuring the 'New Bachelors', Johnny Logan and Adele King, yes, not using Twink, in a desperate last-ditch bid at UK stardom, singing with the Brian Rogers Dancers.

As someone said on the youtube page, it's like the RTE canteen moved to Yorkshire.

Grace does his 'iconic' drunk Father of the Bride routine, beloved by every Irish da.

They even mention Play the Game, as 'the Irish version of Give Us A Clue'. Seeing her do the clues wrecks my brain. The fact we tried to send our most derided popular entertainer to the UK, like James Corden being shipped to Hollywood...

Turns out Twink was on an earlier country special.

'A young lady with a lot of talent'. He calls her 'Addle'.

Glebe

^Fuck me, never heard of this! Talk about two worlds colliding... must give those a watch later!

Meanwhile, saw this advertised on a litter bin in Dunnes Stores yesterday:

Mattress Mick - The Muscial!

George White

It's quite fascinating. Apparently, it's her only UK TV exposure bar the odd showing of Taffin. She did the PBS/RTE 1994 Perry Como Christmas special - his last, which just brings to mind the SCTV 'Perry Como -Still Alive' sketch.
Grace had a few bits and bobs over the years (Russell Harty, Wogan, Punchlines).

I am curious if there's a world where Twink got a gig on Copycats or one of those interminable Saturday teatime sketch shows, and had mild success in the UK before returning home a queen.
But note they're showing her singing, not her comedy that brings to most people's minds wiping your arse (because she advertised Jumbo's toilet rolls).

Glebe