Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greg Proops Proopcast - The Smartest Man In The World

Started by 3-d lobster, June 19, 2011, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasticTom

Raccoon God belief system / Cee-Lo changes the lyrics to Imagine

SM140 / Elbows

29:34-38:02

Sorry, it's probably too long. Great bit though.

I'd like to have a compilation of just his political rants, which are often thrilling.

Neil

And we're off! My fave bit is still probably the spontaneous 40-minute monologue about 15th century explorers, but I'll likely keep em shorter. They're permanently on my phone, but it'd be great to be able to zip straight to some of the rants and Q&A sessions. Thanks for those suggestions, I'll start going through them again, and rip out the best political comedy. And the stoner toaster question.

PlasticTom

Well i've JUST got up to date with them, and am just about to start from the beginning again. Any good little bits that come up, I'll post them here.

Looking forward to finding the bit about how Obama's Nobel Peace Prize droops as he walks into the room

George Oscar Bluth II

Oh god, the deconstruction of the teen magazine feature on Justin Bieber's relationship with Selena Gomez is a must.

Was in the one from Toronto last month I think?

futilitarian

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 21, 2012, 12:49:57 AM
Oh god, the deconstruction of the teen magazine feature on Justin Bieber's relationship with Selena Gomez is a must.

Was in the one from Toronto last month I think?

yep, ep 135

...I took note of my favorite bite (minute 36:45)

minute 5:4 amused me, too. ('I'm not an ornithologist...I don't recognize birds on sight. -- penguins, yes. an ostrich, I think I could make out.')

PlasticTom

The Bieber thing was great. Think it was at least ten episodes ago?

Mini

zhenghe

It'd be quite amusing to string together all Proops' descriptions of food he's had.  For example SM139: Scandinavian food and haggis 51:27-52:13, San Francisco pork sandwich and lemon tart 1:14:14-1:15:03. 

futilitarian

Quote from: zhenghe on January 21, 2012, 06:16:24 AM
It'd be quite amusing to string together all Proops' descriptions of food he's had.  For example SM139: Scandinavian food and haggis 51:27-52:13, San Francisco pork sandwich and lemon tart 1:14:14-1:15:03.

the Wellington one (ep.113) (near the start of the ep) must have been in excess of 10 minutes, it seemed endless.

Paaaaul

Neil - you'll love this week's episode. No spoilers.

Neil

Ooh, I'll grab it now.  Must be a Golden Globes deconstruction, or more Jelly Roll Morton chat :-)  Let's see...

Thanks for the clip ideas folks.  I'll get a graphic made up for the videos, and get cracking. 

Edit:  Ooh, couple of weeks behind, and I see there's more bonus content to catch up on too, excellent.

Edit: 
Spoiler alert
Muhammad Ali!
[close]
- brilliant, just got to that bit now.  This should be good.

Jemble Fred

Maybe you should use a graphic of his character from Star Wars Episode 1 – that is, if you want to potentially draw in an entirely new audience and blow a few minds..

futilitarian

(Removed - Neil)

Theremin

From the latest podcast, Jets, a justification of his teenage years spent working for a Meth dealer, in character as a square member of an audience he percieved to be judging him:

"We were white, and listened to 'Carry on My Wayward Son', in between going to bowling prayer class. Our team won the bible, Greg, and now we're judging you strenuously!"

easytarget

I'm going to his podcast/vodcast/proopcast taping tonight, it'll be nice to see what it actually looks like after listening to hours and hours of shows over the last year.

Here's a good clip that shows some of his righteous fury, on Dominique Strauss-Kahn/IMF (builds to) "...if that means fucking every man, woman and aids-ridden baby in Africa to fucking garner a dime that they can build their throne of fucking hatred with, they will." Arms: 8:04 - 9:18

easytarget

He sat behind a desk and ranted at us while drinking vodka and eating pizza, it was exactly as good as you'd expect, there was a moment towards the end when he talked about why he got into stand up that was quite touching "
Spoiler alert
to connect with you
[close]
". Can't wait to hear the actual thing when it goes up next week.

I think it went on least an hour and a half which made me wonder if any of it will be cut (or if any previous eps have been cut - surely we'd notice if this were the case?), but it started slightly late because the Giants/49ers game went into overtime (or something).

futilitarian

Quote from: easytarget on January 23, 2012, 07:13:03 AM
I think it went on least an hour and a half which made me wonder if any of it will be cut (or if any previous eps have been cut - surely we'd notice if this were the case?)

since he's offering 'bonus material' to entice people to buy his app, I would imagine something worth hearing would be cut from the free version of the podcast.

maybe audience questions? they'd be easy to seamlessly cut.

Jemble Fred

I'm slightly pleased but also equally disturbed to note that references to podcast names and timings make it sound exactly like you're quoting holy scripture. Someone book Greg in at Jerusalem...

futilitarian

Quote from: PlasticTom on January 21, 2012, 12:41:44 AM
Looking forward to finding the bit about how Obama's Nobel Peace Prize droops as he walks into the room

are you referring to ep 124 (Live from Edinburgh), minute 31, or has he re-worked it since then? (the wording in this one isn't as good as your paraphrasing)

trabuch

I like his impressions. Charlton Heston in Carols at 46:38 - 47:00. But there are lots. "There's somethings you love and I hope Greg loves that too" - I love that.

PlasticTom

SM102 - Giants.

42:15 - 46:40

Greg reads the "tea-bagger's" FAQs:

"Question: You're only doing this because Obama's black.
Greg's Answer: That's not a question! That's a direct and unbelievably correct statement, is what that is."

Also, the "people LIKE Janeane Garofolo. Really?! That's who's taking your party down? That's who's bunking your high? That's who's harshing your mellow? That's who's dipping your teabag in yoghurt?!"

The anti-Socratic method of answering an answer with an answer.

It was this bit that made me think, Ok, I've found a new hero.

PlasticTom

Quote from: futilitarian on January 24, 2012, 08:37:18 AM
are you referring to ep 124 (Live from Edinburgh), minute 31, or has he re-worked it since then? (the wording in this one isn't as good as your paraphrasing)

I remember it being mentioned on two separate occasions - I'm on my second run through now so will post it up when i find it

PlasticTom

SM103 - Raspberries

11:25 - 16:15

Gaddafi's dress-sense. etc..

I love the comparison of his 35 virgin entourage with Public Enemy's S1W dancers. Also the phrase "sexual assault-ania".

PlasticTom

SM104 - Kings

48:25 - 51:02

Churchill quotes. "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

futilitarian

Quote from: PlasticTom on January 25, 2012, 11:39:49 PM
SM104 - Kings

48:25 - 51:02

Churchill quotes. "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

also from SM104:

minute 51
[Belknap tells Proops he's giving him the print out of "listener questions"]

"oh, these are listener- I love that they're 'listeners'. I would have said 'fans'--what a broad and awful presumption on my part".

futilitarian

SM ep.115 - Moons

minute 13
Another of Greg's great impersonations: purportedly Marilyn Monroe, but may also pass for Michael Jackson.

futilitarian

ep.123 - McDonalds
minute 51

who is this 'John' / Bender from Futurama?!!

edit: oh shit, John Di Maggio -- it actually _is_ Bender from Futurama.

futilitarian

Quote from: PlasticTom on January 25, 2012, 11:18:16 PM
I remember it being mentioned on two separate occasions - I'm on my second run through now so will post it up when i find it

SM126, minute 46 (comparing Obama's to Jimmy Carter's peace prize)

El Unicornio, mang

Only just started listening to these tonight, love it! Will try to elaborate when I've listened to a few more.