Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Akira Toriyama passed away, no amount Dragonballs will bring him back 😢

Started by Consignia, March 08, 2024, 09:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

The famous Japanese manga author, Akira Toriyama has sadly passed away at the age of 68. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68444060

He's most famous in the West for the Dragonball series, but he was also the character designer for Dragon Quest video game series. So popular in Japan, it had to be tactically released on days it wouldn't cause a hit to productivity.

It's also hard to understate how much he's been an influence on the Japanese entertainment industry, inspring the works of many series, including Oda's One Piece, as well as being key breaking out into international markets.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Dragonball but it was one of the formative series that got me into things like manga. I do like his quirky character designs though, and the few Dragon Quest games I've played have been all the more charming due to his unique style.

RIP Akira Toriyama

bgmnts

Quite the legacy, that.

Dragonball Z felt massive as a kid at the turn of the century (presumably off the back of the success of Pokemon?) and I definitely remember watching it and probably finding it quite silly but entertaining.

I always liked Krillin because he had those dots on his stupid bald head and I think he was maybe funny. L

Edit - cunt designed Chrono Trigger? Boss.

Urinal Cake

I thought he'd be much older. I always liked how he designed machines and creatures compared to his humans. It was Chrono Trigger for me. RIP.

Kankurette

I didn't realise he was that old, but it makes sense - Dragonball's been going for donkeys'. I'm not a fan (although I liked the TFS abridged version), BUT it was a huge influence on a lot of shounen manga, and Goku is the archetypal shounen hero. He's like the older brother of Naruto, Gon, Luffy and all the rest of them.

RIP.

AngryGazelle

I loved Dragonball Z, and have fond memories of watching it on Cartoon Network.

At least one of your creations has brought me much joy. RIP

Dayraven

I've got a soft spot for Doctor Slump, which wasn't as big elsewhere but was his first breakthrough work in Japan — it's juvenile, but good-natured and has a similar sort of visual energy to British comics like Sweeney Toddler and Calamity James.

idunnosomename

I kinda thought he was about that age (first big hit Dr Slump 1980 when he wws 25) so a bit of a shock. Although tbh all I really know of his work is the Funimation dub of Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network. With all of its "they're okay I can see their parachutes!!!" active retconning in the scripts. And painting out part of the E in HELL so it reads HFIL which is explained as "home for infinite losers" because Americans are insane.

Memorex MP3

I was under the impression he was absolutely ancient but I guess I mixed him up with the dragon quest composer?

touchingcloth

madhair60