Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:18:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Last.FM, the very last of all Eff Emms

Started by Russ L, March 29, 2024, 07:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ L

Does anyone else still do Last.FM?  It was all the rage back when I was a happening young thing.

For the uninitiated, it lists what you've listened to.  You can use it for finding music and whatnot but never mind all that rubbish, I just like it because I have One Of Those Brains that likes lists.

Me: https://www.last.fm/user/Russ_L_On_Road

The Mollusk

I sacked off my account a while back as the top charts were so brutally weighted with hundreds of scrobbles of bands like Black Lips and DIIV, as I went through a phase around 10-15 years ago of just rinsing contemporary indie stuff, and that no longer represents my tastes at all so I couldn't have it tarnishing my name any more. I got Ween up to exactly 5000 scrobbles and then deleted the app/extensions.

I've been back on the site a few times since and it seems to be having a sort of resurgence, as a bunch of people have visited my page and commented (why/how did they find me specifically?) and indeed a lot of other comment sections seem to be a lot more busy now.

Scrobble.

dontpaintyourteeth

sardines

I also scrobble. Scrobble. I'm quite anal about it down to logging vinyl via the discogs app. All of which is ironic when I look at my listening history and see it is flooded with 5 live and Radio 4 stuff as I forgot to turn off BBC Sounds on the scrobble settings.

Russ L

Let us see the fruits of your scrobbling

(I am nosey)

Memorex MP3

I scrobble but it became a mess once it switched from accepting the last month of scrobbles from my mp3 player to the last week. Kinda wish I could scrobble to some site of my own instead.

Also last.fm had one of the worst data leaks of major site  that I've ever encountered. Plaintext passwords iirc

sevendaughters

I still use it to 'stalk' a former love (I look at the page now and again and never contact her, ok?). She's had a bit of an issue with double scrobbles. Nonetheless, late last night she seemed to listen to Candy Says 11 times in a row.

Just logged into mine actually because of this thread. Last scrobbles in 2011:

Caesar's Column
    Oneida

Ten Thousand Animal Calls
    Q and Not U

Venus
    Low

I'm a Ghost
    Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Today I Met the Girl I'm Going to Marry
    The Nation of Ulysses

Wow I haven't changed a bit.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Russ L on March 29, 2024, 08:49:08 AMI preferred it when it had that design.

The site used to be fucking amazing when it was like that, I used to scrobble my little bollocks off, used it to find tons of new music, listened to the radio a lot. And then I think it was sold and and went through a horrible redesign so I stopped using it. Shame, it was a big part of my life at one point.

BlodwynPig

dontpaintyourteeth

JaDanketies

Unused since 2015 and I know that all of the last scrobbles were me just playing My Last.FM Radio in an old workplace too. It was very easy to accidentally get grindcore bands with two-second songs in your most-listened to artists

BlodwynPig

jamiefairlie

I prefer to walk around town looking like Nick Drake with my coolest album tucked under my arm. The chicks love it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Still scrobble, but just because of habit and I like lists. It's quite good for looking back to see which years I was especially depressed, ill or injured and the corresponding increase in listens as I stayed at home more.

My user name is even more embarrassing and early internet than this one.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 29, 2024, 03:58:50 PMStill scrobble, but just because of habit and I like lists. It's quite good for looking back to see which years I was especially depressed, ill or injured and the corresponding increase in listens as I stayed at home more.

My user name is even more embarrassing and early internet than this one.

2014-2016, Roachford's Cuddly Toy is your only scrobbled track, averaging 26 listens per day.

What happened man?!

Does it still have that weird issue where it can't distinguish between multiple artists that have the same name? Haven't scrobbled in years but that always stuck out to me as a bit of major design flaw, you'd end up with situations where description pages for bands with common names had the run-downs of 3 or 4 different acts on there because there was no way to separate them out into individual entries, in the way that discogs does for instance.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 29, 2024, 04:01:19 PM2014-2016, Roachford's Cuddly Toy is your only scrobbled track, averaging 26 listens per day.

What happened man?!

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times...

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 29, 2024, 04:14:36 PMIt was the worst of times, it was the best of times...

It was the cuddliest of times

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on March 29, 2024, 04:02:15 PMDoes it still have that weird issue where it can't distinguish between multiple artists that have the same name? Haven't scrobbled in years but that always stuck out to me as a bit of major design flaw, you'd end up with situations where description pages for bands with common names had the run-downs of 3 or 4 different acts on there because there was no way to separate them out into individual entries, in the way that discogs does for instance.

Yes, it still has that.  I remember there was a time where there was a forum (not sure that exists, there was even individual forums on each page I seem to remember) and on the forum there was a helpful admin that you could bring problems like that to and he'd add some code to fix the problem etc, so these sort of name things didn't happen.  But when last.fm took over the site he told me he was no longer allowed to do things like that so it's all fixed in stone from that point onwards.

https://www.last.fm/user/JesusAndYurBush

Memorex MP3

LastFM was really helpful years ago for me tracking down comedy bootlegs; I'd blindly message the top listeners to them asking for the mp3s.

RE: multiple acts with the same name, it's more an issue with ID3 tags than last fm isn't it? I've encountered times where even spotify has had the wrong versions of songs on albums likely due to similar issues resolving what ultimately isn't very clean data. I'm happier with multiple acts under the same name than some algorithm clumsily assuming songs are by specific acts

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 30, 2024, 02:05:27 PMLastFM was really helpful years ago for me tracking down comedy bootlegs; I'd blindly message the top listeners to them asking for the mp3s.

I've a feeling they changed something there because a couple of years ago a song I'd been looking for had one listener but I couldn't get the site to tell me who the listener was.

The Mollusk

The tagging thing has a similar effect on Songkick gig recommendations as well. On more than one occasion I've been like FUCK Burial is playing some little room above a pub in Hackney??!?!??!!! before realising it's the unremarkable death metal band who use the same name.

dontpaintyourteeth

There was a good death metal band called burial but I think they were from the eighties or something

Memorex MP3

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 30, 2024, 02:54:36 PMI've a feeling they changed something there because a couple of years ago a song I'd been looking for had one listener but I couldn't get the site to tell me who the listener was.
I think it's always only shown listeners with a minimum of 2 plays; iirc I was able to isolate people by seeing a track and checking the artist's top listeners.

The Mollusk

I also got a notification about Wormrot coming back around and thought "yeah go on then" until I realised it was actually an email from my doctor!!!