Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:36:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

YOUR FAVOURITE VIDEO GAMES

Started by RetroRobot, January 08, 2023, 01:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryGazelle

The Last of Us Part 2 Part 1 has the tighter narrative but part 2 is better in every other way. The stealth/action combat here is unmatched and the level design is fantastic throughout the entire game.

Metal Gear Solid 2 As a teenager, I hated the switch to Raiden, as an adult, I appreciate that it made complete narrative sense. Meta in the best way possible, and featuring an amazing soundtrack, fun bosses and a lot of weird shit. Snake Eater is probably better in a lot of ways but Sons of Liberty holds a special place in my heart.

Total Warhammer 2 Addictive as fuck. I love the Skaven.

Halo 3 When I gamed online this provided hundreds of hours of fun with friends.

Command & Conquer/Red Alert I'm putting the series up to Tiberian sun here. Loved it when I was a kid.

Batman Arkham Knight The best gameplay in the series; not quite perfection but a fantastic game that I've played through multiple times.

Glebe

Quote from: AngryGazelle on January 14, 2023, 11:35:55 AMBatman Arkham Knight The best gameplay in the series; not quite perfection but a fantastic game that I've played through multiple times.

Replaying it at the mo.

Villa_Gorilla

All time favorite would be Kick Off 2. Played it from 1991 until about 1999, fueled by rivalry with a mate, we moved on to Pro Evolution Soccer in the PS1 days and we are still going at it on Pes2021. Loved the GTAs, and Far Crys (particularly the map editor).
Got a few of my non gamer friends into PUBG during the first lockdown and everyone's still at it, dress up, have a dance, spend 10 minutes running around chatting, then get shot out of moving car, repeat.
Rocket League is probably my current favorite, just the perfect game, physics based fun at its best.

RetroRobot

Live A Live - One of the most inventive, bizarre and genuinely funny JRPGs ever made. Inspired many games after it, while still being a blast to play. The whole gimmick of it is that a) You play through 8 different mini RPGs set in different time periods (Highlights being prehistoric, near future and far future for me) and b) each one of those plays with JRPG conventions, for example, the prehistoric era has no dialogue text and everything is told through images and grunts, the far future which has no traditional battles, etc... It's brilliant! I feel like I'm selling it short but you absolutely should play the switch remake.

Donkey Kong Country 1-3 - There isn't much I can add other than these are fantastic, fluid 2D platformers with a dash of irreverent, silly British humour. Love em. Everything Rare did in the mid to late 90s was gold. I could list any of their other games from then and mean it.

Kingdom Hearts 2 - A snappy action game where you get to fight besides TRON, Jack Skellington, black and white cartoons, Simba, and more, as an anime teen, what's not to like?

Mr_Simnock

This is going to take a while and a few quick edit's, highlighted are the top of the tree amongst thise I really love.

Arcades I love

Pang
Super Pang
Out Run
Street Fighter 2
Q-bert
Track and Field
The Gradius Series
Golden Tee 3D Golf

Atari 2600 games

Crystal Castles
Centipede
Hero
Haunted House
Adventure
Defender
Stargate
Moon Patrol

ZX Spectrum games

The Island of Dr Destructo
Slap Fight
Star Quake
Manic Minor

Sega Master System Games

Psycho Fox
Populous

Sega Mega Drive games

Mamono Hunter Yuoko
Panorama Cotton
Golden Axe
Magical hat no Buttobi Turbo
Magical Taruruto Kun
Megapanel
Streets of Rage series
Sonic the Hedge Hog (first one only)
Super Monaco GP
Toe Jam & Earl
John Madden Football
Mega Bomberman
Strider
Super Fantasy Zone
Thunder Force IV
Air Buster
Arrow Flash
Darius 2
Elemental Master
Gaiares

Sega Saturn Games

Rainbow Islands
Parodius
Sega Rally Championships
World Series Baseball II
Nights into Dreams

Gameboy Games

Pokemon Red and Blue
Tetris

Super NES Games

F-Zero
Secret of Mana

PC games

The Unreal Series
Sim City Series
Age of Empires Series
Populous the Beginning

Online Games

Runescape

Mr_Simnock

Additions

Arcades

Juno First
3D Tank Battle
Star Wars (1983 and 1998 versions)
Galaxians
Frogger

ZX Spectrum games

Death Chase
Hungry Horrice
Horris Goes Skiing

BBC Micro

Chuckie Egg

Sega Master System Games

Choplifter
R-Type

Sega Mega Drive games

Valis III
Super Shinobi
Atomic Robo KID
Streets of Rage series
Hang On

Super NES Games

Goeman Warrior

Sega Dreamcast

Sega Rally Championship 2

Glebe

As a wee lad, Fairlight, Heavy on the Magick and Head Over Heels to name just a very few of the many Speccy 48K games I enjoyed.

PS1/2 years, first few Resident Evil games, Soul Reaver, the Medievil games, FFVII and VIII.

On PC Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance (sure I may have also played some of those on PS2). Later Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Origins, also Arkham Origins: Blackgate.

Xbox One: Arkham Knight, Return to Arkham and Return to Arkham City and the Resident Evil remakes (I know, how adventurous of me!) and Jedi: Fallen Order.

Pancake

Resident Evil 7, yes yes 4 is the one and I've played that through several times but the first person view and creepy southern gothic setting sets this one apart for me, the first half hour or so is terrifying

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, utterly formative for me, my first big adventure game, everything about it is still brilliant, the story, the music, the wig, the glasses...

Gauntlet, but particularly when you've got 2 or ideally 4 of you playing, I played this at my mates on his Speccy and it felt like the arcade at home

Bioshock, I mean it's just a work of art isn't it

Left 4 Dead, again this needs to be played with mates, not as a free for all but talking tactics and covering each others backs, true co-op play

GTA Online, bit of an obvious one but when you're online with friends and it clicks it transcends video games

Trials HD (and sequels), satisfying and infuriating, things are seem impossible at first glance force you to become a master and you walk away feeling like you've genuinely trained your brain

Super Mario Galaxy, absolute tsunami of brilliant ideas and super satisfying to play and a joy to look at

Fallout 3, NV is probably the better game and story but this was my first FO game and where I formed most of my fave FO memories, like first appearing into the waste from the Vault

Pilotwings, unending replay value

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, amazing solo experience but the multiplayer mode that started it all more of less. MW2 had an even better online mode, before it got too complicated, but the solo story wasn't as good. That opening film of you being driven to some bombed out square to be shot, it was probably the first game in the grown-up era (the last of the old era being Zelda on the Wii)

The Last of Us 1 and 2, my review of these games is that simply everything about them is perfect, best games ever. First one is purer and more fun, second emotionally richer and more ambiguous. I consider them a set for the purposes of this thread.

I've noticed that the two types of game that have floated to the surface for me are, broadly, narrative adventures in rich atmospheric worlds, and games with a really fun co-op/multiplayer mode.

Replies From View

Rewind Before Returning is probably my favourite video game.  You had to get it right back to the transparent leader tape or it didn't count.

Another great one was Amass Approximately 400 Of Them.

Final Fantasy VII - the first game I can remember thinking was great, everything about it blew me away. These days the story doesn't hold up much, but the music still packs the biggest punch in the gut for nostalgia. Objectively I agree that IX is the one that has aged the best, of all the ones I've played.

Sim City 4 - I think still the perfect city builder. I got into the series with 2000 and loved 3000 as well, but 4 still holds up the best. The right balance of challenge and freedom to be creative. Modern city builders are either too complicated or give so much creative freedom I could spend 100 hours designing one park and then question what I've done with my life.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - okay it's not as good as the first two, but it's the first time I became aware of what mods were, and I used the game as a vehicle for creative expression, building more than just the theme parks the game intended you to - floating cities, steampunk castles, underground kingdoms, all long before Minecraft came along. Also riding 2 mile high deathcoasters in first person for the first time.

Dawn of War - my first real RTS and being a bit of a 40k kid it really hit every note right for me. Still some of my fondest memories of PC gaming, especially when the Dark Crusade expansion came out, but the game 2 places down has made this one a bit unplayable for me.

World of Warcraft - maybe this game ruined my life, I dunno. By far the most I've ever played a game, I still return to it occasionally for new expansions. At the peak of my obsession an unrivaled experience, probably shared by most people who got into it when I did.

Starcraft 2 - I think this is probably the best game ever made, although I am still terrible at it. Can't think of a single fault.

Total War: Warhammer - counting all 3 games in this as they are essentially one game now with Immortal Empires. My favourite turn based strategy series ditching the boring historical armies and bringing in the skaven and the orks and the huge lizardmen and dwarves in their helicopters and nurgles that fart poison all over you ahh it's just so good.

Elden Ring - would probably include 3 or 4 of the Souls series in any list but, limiting it to one, it's Elden Ring for me. I think we're far enough gone that it's not just recency bias, I genuinely think this is the best they've ever done. The kind of game you'd dream of when you were a kid where you'd think of something way too big and ambitious to be feasible, but by some miracle they managed to pull it off.