Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Sewer Levels

Started by Rev+, March 07, 2023, 11:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Eye of the Beholder
Deus Ex

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on March 08, 2023, 03:59:05 PMTokyo!

A significant inspiration for Mirror's Edge's level, I assume, which is pretty good.

Dyl Spinks

Wasn't there quite a good sewer level in N64's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire? Culminated in fighting a big underwater monster.

I also liked Clanker's Cavern in Banjo. I can't remember why, but I remember it being very satisfying, even on re-plays.

Magnum Valentino

Crash 2 had good sewer levels.

RetroRobot

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on March 13, 2023, 01:50:03 PMWasn't there quite a good sewer level in N64's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire? Culminated in fighting a big underwater monster.

I also liked Clanker's Cavern in Banjo. I can't remember why, but I remember it being very satisfying, even on re-plays.

I just like Clanker's big cute smily face :)

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Zetetic on March 13, 2023, 01:40:15 PMA significant inspiration for Mirror's Edge's level, I assume, which is pretty good.

Oh yea mirrors edge sewer level is ace! Feels like a gritty reboot of a Mario game

Cuellar

Why even is there sewer level? Why are they so prevalent.

I've never been in a sewer in my life.

PlanktonSideburns

Cerys

Quote from: Cuellar on March 13, 2023, 09:20:38 PMWhy even is there sewer level? Why are they so prevalent.

I've never been in a sewer in my life.

Maybe that's why - they're simultaneously commonplace and utterly unfamiliar.

Another vote for the sewers in Oblivion.  Huge amount of mudcrab slaughter and floating buckets.

Mister Six

Which game had the first sewer level? Chubby Gristle? Not Super Mario Bros - that wasn't a sewer.

Rev+

Quote from: Cuellar on March 13, 2023, 09:20:38 PMWhy even is there sewer level? Why are they so prevalent.

It's usually to bend the geography of the world you're in, which is why they're such a cheap go-to.  A bunch of tunnels with two teleports to point A and point B sort of gives the illusion of movement, and saves having to do anything between those points up above.

Also the horror thing, they're supposed to be scary apparently.  They're not scary, just manky.

Mister Six

Yeah, it's an easy way to pad out the game with a lot of repeatable assets. Make a bunch of pipes, tubes, grates and put a green filter on the water and you're sorted for a good half hour of "gameplay" at least.