Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Long Overdue GTA Online Thread

Started by clingfilm portent, October 27, 2013, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which night best suits you for a regular GTAO CaB Crew night? (You can vote more than once)

Monday - Xbox
Tuesday - Xbox
Wednesday - Xbox
Thursday - Xbox
Friday - Xbox
Saturday - Xbox
Sunday - Xbox
Monday - PS3
Tuesday - PS3
Wednesday - PS3
Thursday - PS3
Friday - PS3
Saturday - PS3
Sunday - PS3

Thursday

You can sing in the shower (or repeatedly tap the mic) for free RP. You'll also be able to plan heists when they introduce them. Maybe they'll add something else worthwhile at some point.

BeardFaceMan

My love of blowing up peoples motors as they exit Los Santos Customs has finally caught up with me.

Hangthebuggers

On GTA online, i've noticed a lot of people panic as soon as a bounty is placed on them. They often camp in their apartments until the time limit is over, which is a completely boring, noobish thing to do.

The correct thing to do, is to get yourself a sniper rifle and lots of ammo then run and steal the nearest helicopter and THEN land it on top of your apartment. On the radar it still looks like you are hiding in your home. This won't attract too much attention in itself. However.... You wait for the first person to come looking for you.

Then, as soon as you get the one person who hides outside your apartment, waiting for you to exit (there's always one). Do NOT shoot this guy. This guy is your bait. Instead drop a bounty on him and watch as all the white blips (players) on the map come rushing towards the two red blips (you and stupid bait guy). This does two things, creates a distraction from you and acts as a lure for other players.

Then and only then do you emerge from your hiding place and start shooting all the bounty hunters with your sniper rifle.

ArchieGemmel

That is a brilliant idea and I plan to do just that when I get online tomorrow.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on November 09, 2013, 10:06:18 PM
The correct thing to do, is to get yourself a sniper rifle and lots of ammo then run and steal the nearest helicopter and THEN land it on top of your apartment. On the radar it still looks like you are hiding in your home. This won't attract too much attention in itself. However.... You wait for the first person to come looking for you.

Then, as soon as you get the one person who hides outside your apartment, waiting for you to exit (there's always one). Do NOT shoot this guy. This guy is your bait. Instead drop a bounty on him and watch as all the white blips (players) on the map come rushing towards the two red blips (you and stupid bait guy). This does two things, creates a distraction from you and acts as a lure for other players.

Then and only then do you emerge from your hiding place and start shooting all the bounty hunters with your sniper rifle.

Genius. Surely just add another bounty on the next onrushing fool? The cycle of death continueth...

mobias

Placing huge bounties on other players just for the sake of it seems to be the latest craze. I presume because there's now quite a few players with more money than they know what to do with. I just tried out Hangthebuggers top tip and had a right laugh. A $5000 had been placed on me by a NPC for stealing his car. I flew by chopper to the roof of may apartment and waited. 3 players turned up and started hanging around outside. I randomly chose one and placed a $6000 bounty on him and let the fun commence. A huge chase started and about 4 other players followed him right round the map. At one point he must have gotten himself a 3 star wanted level and the police were after him too in huge cross country chase. I followed it all in my chopper just above him and it was like something out of Police, Camera, Action. Eventually someone got him and it cost me 6 grand but it was worth every penny.

Hangthebuggers

Haha excellent stuff. Glad you like the strategy!

Depressed Beyond Tables

Tried it earlier and had far too much fun killing players who were out for me. Eventually one chap spotted my chopper and riddled it.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 09, 2013, 06:27:15 AM
My love of blowing up peoples motors as they exit Los Santos Customs has finally caught up with me.

Bugger I went rouge tonight too, so I'm in the bad lads servers on my tod, although I have made another lady friend who I helped get in there, she may be an actual human female to boot, quite alarming if so.

Hank Venture

Dude, she probably has breasts and a fanny.

Big Jack McBastard

Nah she'll be smooth all over knowing my luck.

Big Jack McBastard

Before all that happened Action Girl got friendly with the strippers at Vanilla Unicorn..

Girlbait:

and then invited Kiki by for some parachute-based S&M lezzing up,

I was going for a Droogy look but now with the dunce cap I'm coming off a bit KKK.

How come some folks have full on DUNCE and I've only got a D?

Utter Shit

Is there a way of ensuring when you do a race you go in with a large number of players? At the moment I seem to keep getting put in with only a couple of people. Also the lobbies seem to have less people in them as well, usually six or seven but sometimes less, at one point I ended up completely on my own.

They really need to improve the online mode - the potential is there for it to be properly amazing, but there just isn't enough to do at the moment, and the infrastructure is very frustrating. Loading times are unavoidable, but when you get put into a race with only one or two people and have to reload to get a larger number, you end up talking about five minutes loading time, which is often longer than the actual race.

Why does everyone seem to have the same property? And why put a bong in there when you can't use it? Part of me, actually most of me wishes I had stayed at the basic flat I had before; at least it didn't take 30 seconds to walk to the wardrobe, the same amount back, then it takes so long to walk to the end of the garage I just go for whatever is nearest to me. Ave a word.

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 12, 2013, 12:01:27 PM
Is there a way of ensuring when you do a race you go in with a large number of players? At the moment I seem to keep getting put in with only a couple of people. Also the lobbies seem to have less people in them as well, usually six or seven but sometimes less, at one point I ended up completely on my own.

Maybe just try hosting your own?

Utter Shit

I bought the most expensive one ($400k) because...dunno. I had read that it was worth it for the awesome views, but there's only so many times - twice - you will bother to look out those windows. The only plus points really are the massive garage and the fact that it means I'm now more familiar with another part of town, after spending so much time in a couple of miles' radius of the cheapest 2-car garage in the centre of town.

Got bored yesterday so went exploring outside the city for once. Did a couple of things which were exciting but anti-climactic - first I got my car over the gates of the military gaff, but got killed more or less instantly by a million guards. Then went to the top of Mount Chiliad on my motorbike (a genuinely beautiful and quite exhilarating experience, particularly when the path becomes thinner and more perilous when you near the top) with the idea of going on a death-defying descent back to the bottom - but died in a ball of flames about a third of the way down after a huge drop.

Also went on a wee ride in a helicopter, again there's something quite beautiful about serenely enjoying the landscape from above, as with reaching the summit of Chiliad. There's a nice view of the city just as you leave for the north as well, but I forget exactly where it is.

Utter Shit

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 12, 2013, 12:15:34 PM
Maybe just try hosting your own?

When I do this I get about twenty people invited but no one ever joins, and then it doesn't seem to invite anyone else. I might just be impatient though.

mobias

My biggest gripe with online just now is people treating the free roam as one big death match. It just makes pottering around online doing nothing much at all slightly tedious because you know fine well if you come across another player there's about a 75% chance they'll gun you down. The bounty system can add a bit if fun but again becomes tedious as it seems to have become almost central to what people are doing in free roam, pretty much just encouraging everyone to treat it as one big death match. 

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 12, 2013, 12:01:27 PM

Yeah they need to sort the races out. I've yet to have a race with more than three people in it. There's too much distraction for players elsewhere in the game at any given moment. No one seems to want to join races.

I think the lobby system seems to have been fixed. Have you played the game in the last day or two? Most of the lobbies seem to be full again. They were last night anyway having been almost empty all weekend. I think Rockstar were tinkering with the lobbies trying to group together people of similar rank in the open game lobbies but have since ditched it because so many lobbies were under half full.

I think whats clear is that the online game is so geared around Rockstar's crews system and big groups of players playing together and playing it co-operatively in communication with each other. For the lone player its just generally not a hugely satisfying experience. 

Utter Shit

Actually yeah now you mention it, it was better yesterday in the lobbies.

Hopefully they sort the race lobbies out soon. The races are great fun when you have a shitload of you (minimum six or so, the more the better) but most of the time it's only three or four and it's boring.

Not sure I agree with you about not being able to enjoy the game passively. As long as you're driving rather than on foot, it's pretty easy to keep out of trouble - I find that people generally ignore you unless you're in their very near vicinity. If anything my issue with the lobbies is the opposite of that - the deathmatch emphasis is great fun IMO, but the map is so big that even with 16 players you can often find yourself miles from anyone. If it was a bit more boxed in, or separated into three or four sections, it would be better.

Thursday

There's not much else to do in freeroam if you're not hunting people down. It is a bit tedious when you just want to get your character a new haircut though.

Anyway I think until heists are added I'm not going to be on this much as it feels like I've seen most of what it has to offer now.

Big Jack McBastard

So far out of the non-crew/friends list people I've ran into about 4 cool, not instantly firing on sight types, one early on where someone picked me up during a shootout with the police and dropped me off at the impound garage where my bike was languishing, another 2 in one server where one chap had an orange Entity like my blue one and the other a hacked Moonbuggy thing, they were dicking about at the airport and we did doughnuts and some daft jumps without getting all bullety and lately my new bad sport lady friend who I assisted with getting in there and she revealed the texting/commending options to me, commending folks through the online/players menu can end up getting them discounts in shops by the way so if you've got a mate on it might be a nice thing to mutually rub one another's nips, her commendation got me a 90% approval rating (I'm guessing the odd repeatedly blown up car might have gotten me negged that night) and a 5% discount which is better than nowt I suppose.

Really the way to turn the tables on the deathmatchery is to hunt/stalk other people for no good reason, leave traps for unsuspecting chumps and dish a bit out rather than running or hiding. I will maintain a positive K/D ratio come hell or high water!

Get a stupidly fast motor and exact some revenge on the world, you'll feel better for it once you get past the 'Am I being a cunt?' moments, yes you are but it's fun and leads to more on-screen madness kicking off than usual, plus it's not nearly as expensive as it once was to croak repeatedly. I've taken to launching jets (armed or otherwise) down the road when I see groups of people forming and sniping from far off hilltops and buildings, I especially go after any annoyingly voiced American kids who peep up on Live.

I've even been a mysterious benefactor a couple of times, get sick of chasing my quarry and instead quietly sniping out police choppers and listening to the aftermath of confused players wondering what the hell is going on when they fall out of the sky next to them despite their not returning fire.

A generally more co-operative attitude between the folks on a given server would be good though, if all 16 were launching cars up Chiliad or doing hair raising stunts while flying jets in unison or rolling around in bike gangs it could lead to some cool scenarios without having to worry about some berk spraying bullets out his window at first sight of anyone human.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I think you should be able to define your self visually as a pacifist. Maybe a differently coloured highlighted name.

If you want to run around with other players who have no interest in killing each other, then you should. Obviously if you were to kill one of the other players whilst claiming to be a pacifist, then they could vote to send you to the bad sport server for a period of time.

It might just iron out some of the repetitive stuff.

BeardFaceMan

If you're a pacifist then why are you playing GTA? Seriously, I don't understand people going on about how people 'treat it like one big deathmatch'. Of course they do, cos that's what it fucking is. Why on earth would you complain about getting killed when you spend all your time being a criminal, stealing and shooting who/whatever you please? So say you walk up to a player and you both have no violence in your heart, what then? Take a picture of each other doing your shitty taunts, take in the scenery, go and watch a movie? Fuck that. You walk up to that motherfucker and spray his lungs out of his back with your totally pimpin' pink shotgun. Then you chase after him again and kill him. Then while he's respawning you sticky bomb his car, wait for him to drive away all smug-like, and then you blow his balls through the top of his head. Then you chase after him again until he leaves in a huff. Perfect. Why would you want it any other way?

Utter Shit

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 13, 2013, 12:33:01 PM
If you're a pacifist then why are you playing GTA?

Hahaha yes, I was beginning to think this myself.

mobias

If you're a pacifist then why are you playing GTA? Seriously, I don't understand people going on about how people 'treat it like one big deathmatch'. Of course they do, cos that's what it fucking is. Why on earth would you complain about getting killed when you spend all your time being a criminal, stealing and shooting who/whatever you please?

Nah I just find all that tedious as hell if not just totally irritating especially when there's so much more to do in the game at any given moment which doesn't involve people just going bang bang you're dead. Its gaming at its most reductionist simple level if thats all you're doing. Doing it sometimes is fine for just having a laugh but doing it continuously just gets in the way of the rest of the game. Why are you even playing GTA when it has so much other stuff to do? The pacifist mode in Red Dead Redemption was a better balance because it meant you could just hang around and play co-operatively with other strangers, take on NPC gang hide outs and generally just not be bothered by other dick head players running and gunning everything in sight. A big part of the enjoyment of GTA and RDR for a lot of people is actually just chilling out, taking in the world and being a criminal at quite a leisurely hassle free pace.

Depressed Beyond Tables

If you're a pacifist then why are you playing GTA? Seriously, I don't understand people going on about how people 'treat it like one big deathmatch'. Of course they do, cos that's what it fucking is. Why on earth would you complain about getting killed when you spend all your time being a criminal, stealing and shooting who/whatever you please? So say you walk up to a player and you both have no violence in your heart, what then? Take a picture of each other doing your shitty taunts, take in the scenery, go and watch a movie? Fuck that. You walk up to that motherfucker and spray his lungs out of his back with your totally pimpin' pink shotgun. Then you chase after him again and kill him. Then while he's respawning you sticky bomb his car, wait for him to drive away all smug-like, and then you blow his balls through the top of his head. Then you chase after him again until he leaves in a huff. Perfect. Why would you want it any other way?

Limiting the game to only one way of playing seems a tad unimaginative on your part. Personally I want to shoot the guns and smell the roses.

I mean, the makers don't go and create playable darts and tennis matches if all they want you to do is sticky bomb noobs. Ffs #thinkoutsidethebox

BeardFaceMan

Think outside the box? Oh believe me, there are some very, very creative and imaginative ways of killing people, noob or not. And it's hardly limiting your play, the map is huuuuge and with only 16 players it's rare you actually run into other players anyway. And the makers don't really want you sticky bombing people either, which is why you get a bad sport notice if you blow their car up. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this game, and plenty of room for all of them. Why would you want to just be a pacifist, limiting the game to only one style of play seems a tad unimaginative on your part.

Passed some homeless people the other week. Couldn't even give them money. Sort it out Rockstar.