Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bayonetta series + the Bayonetta 3 voice acting debacle

Started by oggyraiding, October 24, 2022, 08:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

It's currently Bayo 1>3>2 for me.  My only real problem with 2 was not moving on much from 1 and also going in hard on giant monster boss fights.

While 3 does the same at least they've leant into it and given you something more to do with it. 

The Crumb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 18, 2022, 07:47:48 AMKnow what, I think people have been excessively hard on this game (not that it's hurt the reviews).  Its flaws are more glaring than Bayo 1+2s but in the playing of it it's still an engaging, crunchy action game that you don't really see a lot of - Astral Chain, DMC5 and Sekiro in the last few years, maybe?

If the stats and stamina don't disqualify it, Nioh 2 was an excellent action game at heart. The Yokai abilities and burst counters pushed it further into the action feel than the first one.

Pink Gregory

Yeah I did think about Nioh because it came out just before Sekiro if I'm not mistaken, but have heard less about the sequel than the first if anything.

Pink Gregory

Pink Gregory

Only problem is when I'm trying to parry I'm doing the Revengeance parry which just makes her zip about all over the place

Pink Gregory

(whisper it) starting to prefer playing as Viola to Bayo to be honest.  Possibly because she gets more grounded combat bits and fewer giant monster can't see what you're doing bits.  Also traversal is a hoot with the grappling hook swinging off of nothing.

And I just dig her silly RAWK battle theme too much

Pink Gregory

Really get the impression that a LOT of set dressing and dialogue was cut for budget or time.

Pink Gregory

Finished on normal.  Surprised they went for a bit of a downer ending but it's a change I suppose.  Definitely feels like something being set up.

So on the one hand; what little narrative there is feels tossed off and generic, environments are fairly generic and somewhat unremarkable, you don't get to play as Viola enough and maybe on the first time round you get more weapons and demons than you can really spend any time with.

On the other hand it's a brilliantly tactile action game that doesn't waste time covering the ground of its predecessors.  Demon Masquerade feels like a real solution to one of the series' biggest weaknesses (giant monster boss battles) and demons like Wartrain Gouon and the Umbran Clock Tower feel less like novelties and more like an attempt to try something spectacular for better or worse.

Granted there's still too many cutscenes that could have been gameplay and like I said it feels like a LOT has been shaved off it to keep the project on track; I doubt that it had quite the budget it could have done with as well but delivering on time and on budget is somewhat Platinum's USP so I'd much rather have this than no Bayonetta.

Liked it.  Will be returning soon.