Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:57:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Shit' films which you actually quite like

Started by Custard, March 04, 2012, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was great. Season one was fun but season two was where it really got good, just in time for the twats at sci-fi (scyfy!) to cancel it before the most intriguing ending of anything in the franchise

Blumf

Zardoz, the more I see it the more I love it.

Yes, it bites off way more than it can chew. Yes, there's too much Sean Connery chest hair on show. But I can't help but enjoy the whole hippy sci-fi vibe. The iconic flying (literal[nb]Yeah, yeah 'godhood'[/nb]) godhead, the crazy gun-cult thing, the Eternal's society, all of it great fun.

Similarly I will give The Final Programme the time of day, though not much more than that, it is a hopeless mess (I do intend to read some Jerry Cornelius books sooner or later).

danyulx

Sleepaway Camp

A true horror masterpiece, if not a masterpiece full-stop; one of the giants of The Genre. Despite being a load of shit, whichever way you look at it, and the director possibly being an active paedophile.

Also, I've a soft spot for 'Independence Day'.

VegaLA

Quote from: danyulx on March 11, 2012, 07:00:14 AM
Sleepaway Camp

OH YES. But its been a few years since I last saw it. Would also love for someone to release the Italian Slasher Body count starring Charles Napier, but it has as much chance of a DVD release as Ghost Keeper.

QDRPHNC

The 'Burbs. I've seen it loads of times, total comfort film for me. I could put it on if I'm alone in the house and I feel like I'm with friends. Except the
Spoiler alert
next door neighbours who they think are murdering people and then they find out there're not and then they find out they are.
[close]

I even like Corey Feldman in it. There. I said it.

Theremin

Quote from: Blumf on March 11, 2012, 12:38:00 AM
Zardoz, the more I see it the more I love it.

Some friends and I actually watched it for a 'bad movies' series we've been doing. It was astonishing. In every sense of the word.

Ginyard

I like Jason X and until now have been the only person I know who does. But it pales next to one of the greatest movies ever:

Enthiran

Its Bollywood's Terminator and is utterly brilliant. If you never do anything else, please watch the whole movie.

phantom_power

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 12, 2012, 09:08:11 PM
The 'Burbs. I've seen it loads of times, total comfort film for me. I could put it on if I'm alone in the house and I feel like I'm with friends. Except the
Spoiler alert
next door neighbours who they think are murdering people and then they find out there're not and then they find out they are.
[close]

I even like Corey Feldman in it. There. I said it.

The Burbs is a genuinely great film that has no place in this thread

Famous Mortimer

Nah, it's not. It's way too long for a start, isn't all that hilarious and you never get a sense that the neighbours are anything other than murderers, leaving the are-they/aren't-they bits as irrelevant padding.

Blumf

Quote from: phantom_power on March 13, 2012, 09:29:51 AM

I concur, a solid 80s comedy.

Cohaagen

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 13, 2012, 11:29:23 AM
It's way too long for a start

100 minutes is long? I'd say that's about the perfect length for a comedy film.

Quoteisn't all that hilarious

Not even Bruce Dern? "One of the Huns came out of the cave", "that kid next door is a meatball"? Hanks choking down the sardine pretzel?

Quoteyou never get a sense that the neighbours are anything other than murderers, leaving the are-they/aren't-they bits as irrelevant padding

That's kind of missing the point. I mean, it's not a murder-mystery, it's not Rear Window. You could pick apart just about every comedy movie ever made on the basis of dramatic watertightness. The fun is in getting taken along with the eccentricities and obsessions of the "regular" neighbours, not trying to guess whether or not the Klopeks are killers, which is only going to be a 50/50 deal anyway.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 13, 2012, 09:29:51 AM

It's probably my favourite comedy of all time, even above The Jerk, Man With Two Brains[nb]"Leapin' lizards!
"Yes, we have those"[/nb], Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Holy Grail, etc. It's one of those films that, despite already owning on DVD, I always watch when it's on television - even the ITV2 version where Ray's dream is cut to just him yelling "okaaaaaaay". As well as being one of the most quotable films ever made, it contains two of the funniest bits of physical comedy I've ever seen, namely Dern's spectacular pratfall off his roof and Tom Hanks sliding down the steps after he gets blown up.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cohaagen on March 14, 2012, 02:15:58 AM
100 minutes is long? I'd say that's about the perfect length for a comedy film.
Then *feels* too long.

Quote from: Cohaagen on March 14, 2012, 02:15:58 AMThat's kind of missing the point. I mean, it's not a murder-mystery, it's not Rear Window. You could pick apart just about every comedy movie ever made on the basis of dramatic watertightness. The fun is in getting taken along with the eccentricities and obsessions of the "regular" neighbours, not trying to guess whether or not the Klopeks are killers, which is only going to be a 50/50 deal anyway.
If there are bits in the film where they try and half-heartedly convince us that the Klopeks aren't murderers, then I'd say it's not missing the point. It's right in the middle of the point. It's not plot water-tightness, it's having too much time taken up on stuff which isn't funny and doesn't advance anything (as we all know they're villains).

Starting a film with "hey, I wonder if our new neighbours are murderers?" and ending with "oh, yes, they are" just seems a bit of a waste of time, there's no attempt to subvert the audience's expectations or do enough with the premise. Your mileage (obviously) may vary, and those things may not be important to you (or I may be wrong about it all). It's not like I hated it, I always enjoyed Hanks in comedies and I've been a fan of Corey Feldman since forever, I just don't think it deserves being spoken of in such praising tones.

Dark Sky

I remembered yesterday how much I adore Meet Joe Black.  That's usually regarded as being shit, isn't it?  But I love how dreamy and melancholic it is.  I adore the gorgeous score by Thomas Newman, and the gentle growing relationship between Brad Pitt (who looks unusually gorgeous with his floppy blonde fringe) and erm...well, the woman one.  I also love how it took me several viewings of the film to realise that the ending isn't a happy one as I originally thought, but instead quite sad, albeit with possibilities.  I think it's beautiful!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 14, 2012, 06:43:21 AM

Starting a film with "hey, I wonder if our new neighbours are murderers?" and ending with "oh, yes, they are"

I think it would have been more hokey to reveal at the end that "they're not murderers, just misunderstood!". I remember being genuinely surprised when they were revealed to be actually be murderers.

Incidentally, they need to get a decent transfer of the film out, the ones that have been out so far are awful.

QDRPHNC

Another great 'Burbs bit - Corey Feldman charging through the kitchen door and shattering the plate of cookies in Art's hand.

Dead kate moss

I didn't see it til recently, but Showgirls is hilarious. Not erotic at all, even though you can hold your breath from one scene with naked boobies to the next. The main performance from Elizabeth Berkley is nuts, and the character is a violent, mood-swingy toxic headcase, with every supporting character equally fun. It's the dialogue mostly, but it's full of plot-holes and unlikely situations. Your jaw will drop. You will laugh. You will say 'hold on a minute that doesn't make much sense.' It is... wait for it.. so bad that it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zNmkTWeDk&feature=related
Here the girls bond over their shared love of... dog food.

Blumf

Quote from: Dead kate moss on March 14, 2012, 04:54:40 PM
I didn't see it til recently, but Showgirls

Such an amazing film, classic Verhoeven and a never ending list of quotes...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114436/quotes
QuoteYou got something wrong with your nipples?
Life sucks. Shit Happens. I'm a student of t-shirts.
I'm gettin' a little too old for that whorey look.
What are these, watermelons? This is a stage, babe, it's not a patch. See ya.
If you want to last longer than a week, you give me a blow-job. First I get you used to the money, then I make you swallow.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 14, 2012, 11:26:09 AM
I think it would have been more hokey to reveal at the end that "they're not murderers, just misunderstood!". I remember being genuinely surprised when they were revealed to be actually be murderers.

Incidentally, they need to get a decent transfer of the film out, the ones that have been out so far are awful.

The original ending revealed them to be innocent - the point being that Hanks and the other judgemental neighbours were the truly creepy ones.

Cohaagen

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 14, 2012, 04:28:20 PM
Another great 'Burbs bit - Corey Feldman charging through the kitchen door and shattering the plate of cookies in Art's hand.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 14, 2012, 06:43:21 AMIf there are bits in the film where they try and half-heartedly convince us that the Klopeks aren't murderers, then I'd say it's not missing the point. It's right in the middle of the point. It's not plot water-tightness, it's having too much time taken up on stuff which isn't funny and doesn't advance anything (as we all know they're villains).

What bits do you mean, FM? I'm trying hard to think of scenes with long-winded exposition and I can't really remember any. I think they tried pretty hard to make sure every bit of the film is stuffed with gags and things going on. When they're in the Klopek house you've got "sardine?", Dern pulling the wallpaper off, etc., the scene where they're going through the garbage has great little bits with Robert Picardo and Dick Miller, so on.

Ultimately if the jokes don't do it for you then that's that. I'm not out to convert you, I'm just surprised you didn't like it, I thought it'd be right in your area. For a film that was apparently about 75% improvised I think plot-wise it works really well.

Small Man Big Horse

I've watched Gamer and Resident Evil over the last two nights as a result of the thread. Gamer's probably the more frustrating one, because as much as I enjoyed it, there were a lot of ideas and themes that it would have been great to see developed further. It's a lot of fun however, and Michael C Hall adds a weird but likable panache to it all.

Resident Evil was exactly as you guys have described, a great if slightly trashy zombie actionhorror flick, but I enjoyed it a lot as that's my kind of thing on occasion. Are any of the sequels worth watching?

small_world

I have one rule.
If Milla Jovovich is in it, I watch it.

NoSleep

Whilst that may seem, on the surface, to be a fairly reasonable rule, it may have contributed to your overspending in the east of Europe recently.

small_world

Fuck knows what she would have charged to say 'Multi-pass'.

A massive thing for the Eastern Euro's I seem to have.
MASSIVE.

Custard

The second Resident Evil film, Apocalypse, is alright. Has a good bit with zombie schoolgirls

Not seen the other two. Yet.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cohaagen on March 15, 2012, 07:29:26 PM
What bits do you mean, FM?
Sorry, I've not seen it in a decade and I'm not fussed about rewatching a film I thought was alright at best. Feel free to entirely ignore everything I've said on that basis.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 16, 2012, 12:05:28 AM
Resident Evil was exactly as you guys have described, a great if slightly trashy zombie actionhorror flick, but I enjoyed it a lot as that's my kind of thing on occasion. Are any of the sequels worth watching?
I like them all, although they don't exactly get better from the first one. If you like those fight scenes where the boring bits are in slow motion and the exciting bits are at normal speed, then you will like the RE sequels. Actually, 4 is probably my favourite of the lot.

Small Man Big Horse

Cheers for the info on the RE sequels, I'll have to give them a go. I noticed a new one's being made as we speak, which features some of the (dead) cast from the first, which could be interesting...

Jack Shaftoe

I thought the RE sequels really dropped in quality, becoming much more SF/cartoony, which evaporated any threat the zombies might have held. That said, the most recent one, where Milla Thingy lands the plane on top of a prison feels a bit like a return to form, although the third act goes all CGI and loses me again.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dead kate moss on March 14, 2012, 04:54:40 PM
I didn't see it til recently, but Showgirls is hilarious.

The pool sex scene is truly brilliant.  What's presumably intended to be a steamy erotic scene turns into something out of Jaws.  The look on Kyle Maclachlan's face speaks a thousand words.

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Blumf on March 14, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
Such an amazing film, classic Verhoeven and a never ending list of quotes...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114436/quotes

Heh, this is one of my favourites
Mr. Karlman (baldy guy off LA Law): We could have brought anyone into this show: Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul. Nomi Malone is what Las Vegas is all about! She's dazzling, she's exciting, and very, very sexy!

Really? You could have got Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul to do your tacky volcano naked sex-show thing? It doesn't seem likely.

I'm also close to nominating First Knight, the old Richard Gere/Sean Connery piece of shit. Again I only just saw it (I doubt it's been on since 1997) and the last half only at that, but I need to see it again to catch some of that dismal, weird script/laugh at the plot-holes (like how the baddies just waltz into Camelot at the end)/marvel at Gere's repulsive slimeball acting/marvel at the end where the two cheaty-pants get the keys to the Kingdom, as the movie merrily pisses on any Arthurian legend you might be aware of. Truly execrable, but grimly fascinating.

biggytitbo

Some fools think its shit, but my favourite guilty pleasure is Doomsday, really love that film. In fact I'd probably say Sean Pertwees death scene is my favourite death scene in all horror after Edward Woodward in The Wicker Man.