Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vince Power RIP

Started by king_tubby, March 10, 2024, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

I am certain 90% of this board will have been to a Mean Fiddler promoted event. Had London pretty much sewn up in the 90s. Turned the Reading Festival from bikers lobbing bottles of piss at Dumpy's Rusty Nuts to indie kids lobbing bottles of piss at Shampoo.

Funcrusher

The Mean Fiddler was a complete pain as a venue when I was going to gigs in the late 80's/early 90's. Headliner would frequently not come on until close to midnight, so zero chance of catching the last tube.

iamcoop

Only band I ever saw at The Mean Fiddler were Meshuggah about 20 years ago.

They were supported by a two-piece grindcore band called Phantom Limb Management, who's singer looked so much like Ross Kemp that someone in the audience kept doing the Eastenders drum roll in between songs until he finally stormed off in a strop cutting their set short.

Anyway cheers for enabling that memory, Vince

steveh

This from 1995 is a good profile of him: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/mr-power-1593779.html.

Must have had to be pretty tough to run venues back in the eighties, though the article suggests his taciturn nature meant people filled in the gaps and just assumed he was someone you didn't want to mess with. Then there was the acrimony after he took over The Forum from the people who'd built it up as a live music venue so when they found other venues suppliers had to choose which side they were on.

dontpaintyourteeth

he's the man
whose name you'd love to touch

monkfromhavana

Love Thy Neighbour was pretty poor tbh.