Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Dice - Load Blown

Started by Peking O, September 20, 2007, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peking O

A search doesn't bring up too many mentions of these guys, but I think there are a few fans here. So what's the feeling about their new album, Load Blown?  Surprisingly, this one's a wee bit more accesible than their usual stuff, even heading towards (gasp!) poppier waters at some points. But I think the change suits them. They've also moved label, from DFA to the Animal Collective's Paw Tracks, and I think the vinyl is coming out in a Person Pitch-style series of singles and EPs. Here's my favourite track so far:

Drool

alan nagsworth

Wow, I heard Beaches And Canyons aaages ago and didn't really like it, but that song was very appealing to mine ears. Will have to check the album out! Thanks.

Famous Mortimer

I love Black Dice, and am really looking forward to this album. In fact, I might even buy it.

Just on a download frenzy and thought I'd give this a go, knowing very little of them besides the AC connection and a few forgotten moments on DFA comps, where I was just puzzled by them. This is absolutely badass though. I'm sure yer Alanagatrons or Maximashz could find something in here to cleanse what palate. Kind of minimal techno, um, but incredibly thick at the same time, very analogue, experimental in terms of sounds/tones but structurally, well, not really structurally, basically they just find a groove and hammer it with a refreshingly weird assortment of noises.

This is supposedly their most accessible side from a few reviews I've just read. Can anybody suggest a path backwards or whether it's worth it?

Of course, I know I can just go and get some of their other stuff, it's a ruse to start some discussion!

alan nagsworth

It is a really good album (see above for my love of the posted mp3)... as I say I've only heard Beaches And Canyons before this one, and from memory it's a lot more vague, just lengthy atmospheric audioscapes with small hints of structure. It's been ages since I heard it though so I could be talking shit, but I don't remember it being at all toe-tapping or even too interesting...

Eric Copeland's solo album 'Hermaphrodite' might be even better than 'Load Blown'. Less abrasive, more melodic, not much resembling songs but thousands of musical ideas that suggest songs. I'm finding it more 'emotional' than Black Dice. [/wanky]

Corks popped!

BUMP

Eric Copeland's solo album Hermaphrodite IS way better than Load Blown! It's seriously wild stuff. Very little in there that resembles traditional instrumentation of any sort but manages to groove quite euphorically. There are snippets of woodblocks and pipes and steel drums and strings but they're just caked in analogue noise. Futuristic is probably the best word for it. It's very loop-driven and groovy but the sounds are almost impossible to identify. Imagine if Person Pitch had been constructed from Here Comes The Indian's sonic palette. Maybe.

Get it, dudes!