Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Cure (all-purpose thread)

Started by trotsky assortment, November 09, 2008, 02:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 10, 2008, 04:21:55 PM
I gave up on The Cure after the utterly dull Disintegration so I can't comment on anything they released after that. Up to then, though, I think Faith and Seventeen Seconds are their best albums.

I'm in total agreement. An ex of mine was a bigger fan than me, but could never convince me to like Disintergration. It's that bombastic 80's production that puts me right off. Seventeen Seconds is an excellent record however.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Don_Preston on January 17, 2009, 02:47:02 PM
I'm in total agreement. An ex of mine was a bigger fan than me, but could never convince me to like Disintergration. It's that bombastic 80's production that puts me right off. Seventeen Seconds is an excellent record however.

Bombastic, yes, that's the word. Another thing I like about 'Seventeen Seconds', the song, is that I've still no idea what it's about. The lyrics "Seventeen seconds. A measure of life" have got an air of mystery to them, and the music seems to have no sense of purpose (in a good way).

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 17, 2009, 02:38:32 PM
Someone's put the 2nd Peel session up for download here. It's got 'Desperate Journalist' on it, the quite clever answer to Paul Morley's review of Three Imaginary Boys. Morley's not got any better with age, I reckon.

On the Soft Cell episode of the Smash Hits (or was it just Smash?) series ITV showed around summer 2002 Paul Morley was going on about how great they were. This being the same Paul Morley who called all the bands on the Some Bizzare sampler album "hopeless" and finished his review of Last Night in Sodom with "Piss off, Soft Cell".

Of course, he could have just changed his mind...

If I'm perfectly honest I still like him. I don't know why.

Don_Preston

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on January 17, 2009, 05:05:14 PM

If I'm perfectly honest I still like him. I don't know why.

I think he's great. There's a documentary he's made on iPlayer at the moment about changing fashion trends within the pop scene, with some amusing interviews.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 17, 2009, 02:38:32 PM
Someone's put the 2nd Peel session up for download here. It's got 'Desperate Journalist' on it, the quite clever answer to Paul Morley's review of Three Imaginary Boys. Morley's not got any better with age, I reckon.

Thanks Johnny!  How many Peel Sessions did The Cure do?  Was it the first Peel Session which was available on a now out of print 12"?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 17, 2009, 06:10:23 PM
Thanks Johnny!  How many Peel Sessions did The Cure do?  Was it the first Peel Session which was available on a now out of print 12"?

Looks like it's six. Blimey! They're all here. The link leads to a text file which you have to download in order to get the link for the rar file. I've not unpacked this yet so don't forget to scan for viruses before opening (if you need reminding).