Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bagpipes

Started by Emma Raducanu, January 09, 2009, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

They're a digusting instrument. Maybe Scottish people like them because they stir memories of being invaded by the Vikings but they almost make me physically sick.

Are bagpipes used in any songs that might change my mind? Can they be beautiful again?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DolphinFace on January 09, 2009, 12:27:13 PM
They're a digusting instrument. Maybe Scottish people like them because they stir memories of being invaded by the Vikings but they almost make me physically sick.

Are bagpipes used in any songs that might change my mind? Can they be beautiful again?

Surely they're easy enough to avoid.  Unless you're a tourist at Edinburgh Castle or at a Burns Supper, it's not like they dominate modern music in the manner of the auto-tune.

Maybe it's those supressed memories of being pillaged by Olaf the Hairy, but I love them and think they improve any song on which they feature.  Case in point, Sleep The Clock Around by Belle and Sebastian.

I even like Mull of Kintyre.  Yeah, I went there.

Neville Chamberlain

I can't think of a single song that wouldn't be improved by the presence of bagpipes.

SavageHedgehog

Does anyone know it it's true that Heaven 17's career high debut album Penthouse and Pavement was remixed a couple of years later with bagpipes dubbed over the top for a couple of tracks?

purlieu

Belle & Sebastian - Sleep The Clock Around
Best part of it.

Neville Chamberlain

I've just thought of a genuinely great track with bagpipes in it! Tribal Mutation by early 90s South London funky punky rappy types Ruff Ruff & Ready!

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on January 09, 2009, 01:03:27 PM
Does anyone know it it's true that Heaven 17's career high debut album Penthouse and Pavement was remixed a couple of years later with bagpipes dubbed over the top for a couple of tracks?

I believe this is true. Bob Holness plays them apparently!

I have to endure bagpipes being practised in my home several times a week. They're not really an indoor instrument. A pipe band can be pretty moving under the right circumstances though, I will admit.

They suit the Horror Of Yig by Gwar, if you like that sort of thing.

I find that one set of bagpipes being played on its own sounds absolutely hideous, and makes me run to the hills screaming.  However, I can tolerate an actual pipe band playing loads together. 

I remember seeing an Edinburgh Tattoo show on BBC1 a few years ago and being quite affected by a piece of music that was being played by one of the bands, enhanced no end by the bagpipe solo. 

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 09, 2009, 12:31:42 PM
Surely they're easy enough to avoid.

I want to enjoy them like Clinic made me enjoy the organ. I'll track down the B&S song.

Waking Life

I played them for a long time, but haven't picked them up in a good number of years.  To be honest, I didn't generally enjoy listening to others play unless it's a really good piper.  Despite not fitting into that category, I did enjoy playing them myself and didn't mind for a second when it was my own "music" blasting right in my ear.  Definitely one of the worst sounding instruments if it's played badly though (maybe some brass instruments too), but most tourists don't notice constant mistakes.

Jack White had problems trying to incorporate them into The White Stripes last album as they use a different tonal scale and eventually had to use modified electric ones I believe.

The uncoordinated synth solos on the title track, which are actually played on a 1946 Univox, certainly sound a bit bagpipey. Maybe that was the plan

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DolphinFace on January 09, 2009, 04:26:39 PM
I want to enjoy them like Clinic made me enjoy the organ. I'll track down the B&S song.

Ahh...well, in that case, finding good examples of organ music is a whole lot easier...

One undeniably ace example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiBMltWg2RQ

sublingual

Also ace:

Neutral Milk Hotel - Untitled

and someone told me once that this had bagpipes in it, but I'm not convinced. It might just be a song which sounds like it should have bagpipes in it. So maybe it should be on it's own in a separate thread.

Rilo Kiley - A Better Son/Daughter

QuoteI can't think of a single song that wouldn't be improved by the presence of bagpipes.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. All songs should have at least 2 minutes of bagpipes in. Even songs that are shorter than 2 minutes. More please.

mrClaypole

Quote from: DolphinFace on January 09, 2009, 12:27:13 PM

America no more by The KLF is my favourite bagpipe tune, followed by Mull of Kintyre by Wings (that has sentimental family memories held in that tune for me).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XljdzA3S8ks&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XljdzA3S8ks&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DJ One Record

Here's Orbital giving the Radio 1 of 1999 a new "In Dulce Jubilo".

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BwJ9SQ7lm9E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BwJ9SQ7lm9E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Paranormalhandy

Quote from: mrClaypole on January 14, 2009, 03:32:27 PMAmerica No More

Also, there's the "January What Time is Love" promo, about 50 copies of which were pressed for Hogmanay 1991:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uihi-s5wf0[/youtube]

Ginyard

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on January 09, 2009, 01:36:05 PM
I remember seeing an Edinburgh Tattoo show on BBC1 a few years ago and being quite affected by a piece of music that was being played by one of the bands, enhanced no end by the bagpipe solo. 

Seeing all their soldiers in kilts marching with bagpipes is quite awe inspiring I think. If they really did take those things into battle (and I have absolutely no knowledge as to wether they did or not) it must have been rather an eery and maybe even frightening soundscape to the uninitiated, used to a few bland bugle calls.

daimoniac

what do you get if you cross bagpipes with rammstein?

Spoiler alert
tanzwut. enjoy
[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FUFg-LettIQ[/youtube]
[close]