Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tracks you skip past

Started by Retinend, January 28, 2009, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

...or alternatively: 'albums you skip through for one or two decent tracks'

I think that Strangeways, Here We Come by The Smiths gets an unfairly bad rap, but, having said that, I think that 'Death of a Disco Dancer' is by far the worst song they ever wrote, and I always skip past it if I can. It sounds like a spiritless jam based around this incredibly dull bassline, ending with a tediously overlong, washing-machine outro.

For an example of the alternate kind - 15 Big Ones by the Beach Boys - an album of 15 tracks; half covers, half original songs. I'd say it was completely worthless if it weren't for two absolutely fantastic tracks that stand head and shoulders above the rest of the album; the original 'It's OK', a joyous, youthful tune reminiscent of Brian Wilson's early compositions, and the cover of 'Just Once in My Life', which is one of my favourite Beach Boys songs of all time (I was quite disappointed to realise they didn't write it, although they definitely made it their own). The rest of the album is pretty indefensible, however, and I usually only listen to it for those two tracks.

Howj Begg

'Holocaust' and 'Kangaroo' on Big Star's Third.

Retinend

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 30, 2009, 05:10:27 AM
'Holocaust' on Big Star's Third.

The same. It feels about 5 times as longer than it actually is.

Funcrusher

You're all mad; 'Holocaust' and 'Kangaroo' are two of the tracks that define 'Sister Lovers'. It's not really a record you listen to for a laugh generally.

Retinend

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 30, 2009, 10:04:33 PM
You're all mad; 'Holocaust' and 'Kangaroo' are two of the tracks that define 'Sister Lovers'. It's not really a record you listen to for a laugh generally.

'Kizza Me' is hilarious.

"Kizza me!... yeah, you too!

...why not?"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Every single Kinks album released after 1973 is shite (a rare case of received wisdom actually being correct), but without fail, there are at least one or two wonderful Ray Davies songs on each. No one wants to read my long and highly subjective list of what those songs are, but suffice to say, I'm right.   

Also, The Rolling Stones' Goat's Head Soup album is an utter bore, but Heartbreaker, Star Star/Fucker, and especially the gorgeous Winter are up there with their best.

Nik Drou

Quote from: Retinend on January 28, 2009, 04:46:46 PM
I think that Strangeways, Here We Come by The Smiths gets an unfairly bad rap, but, having said that, I think that 'Death of a Disco Dancer' is by far the worst song they ever wrote, and I always skip past it if I can. It sounds like a spiritless jam based around this incredibly dull bassline, ending with a tediously overlong, washing-machine outro.

That's extraordinary.  It's literally the only track by The Smiths I've ever actually bothered with.

I'm currently skipping the 'Flu' song on the Adam & Joe 'Song Wars 2' compilation out of fear it will mentally encourage the symptoms. 

Muel 2

Most Grant Hart songs on Husker Du albums.

Muel 2

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 31, 2009, 05:18:11 PM
Now, that's just silly talk.

Yeah, I said it.  Most of my Du-loving friends disagree too.  There's a few I like ('Pink Turns To Blue', 'Diane')  but I'm struggling to think of many.

After the first three tracks Hot Chip's Made In The Dark fizzles out really disappointingly.  I guess I just listen to the first three tracks and finish there rather than skip whole swathes of the album which isn't really the point of this thread but I'm going to post this anyway and it's not worth starting up a new thread for this one piece of opinion.