Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 20, 2023, 07:36:39 PMQuest 3 has mixed reality capabilities. That I really don't give a fuck about. Not planning to upgrade my Quest 2 here.

Quest 2 has mixed reality as well, albeit with the grainy black and white passthrough. Played Thrill of the Fight last night with the boxer coming at me in my living room. Definitely better than having to worry about punching the wall/TV.

Might give this a go next

Have also seen videos of people just wandering around the streets, doing their shopping etc in mixed reality. Wouldn't do it because I'd feel like a tit but could definitely liven up your daily routine.

But yeah, I got the Quest 2 for entering virtual worlds so just having things appearing in my own real world in full definition isn't worth the upgrade for me. Also apparently the 3 has issues with comfort and some game performance issues.

Milo

Kids unwrapped their Quest 2 today. The Quest 1 was a bit clunky but just from the initial setup the Quest 2 feels a lot more slick. It's quite a bit tighter on my glasses though so I might need to use the spacer thing. Didn't bother with the 1.

Was looking at the Quest 3 but the 2 came up on Amazon for £250 which included a free £50 Amazon voucher so the price difference was just too huge.

El Unicornio, mang

I'd forgotten how fucking incredible Google Earth is in VR. Spent an hour last night just flying around my neighbourhood. It's like being in a weird dream version of it, and when it starts to feel too frightening you can just enter the street view version where everything is normal (albeit from 2014 or whenever the shots were taken). Shame Google just abandoned it so it was never updated but it's still one of the best things for showcasing VR, 7 years on.

Also, Star Wars: Squadrons is only £1.75 on Steam currently until Jan 4th (reduced by 95%) so an essential purchase, although it does require having a computer with a decent GPU to hook up to your headset. Also playable in regular non-VR mode.

Milo

Had my first go on the Quest 2 today and it's a hell of a lot tighter on glasses than the Quest 1. I'll have to dig out some old smaller frames for the purpose so I don't feel like I'm in a vice.

That is my review.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Milo on December 31, 2023, 12:49:37 PMHad my first go on the Quest 2 today and it's a hell of a lot tighter on glasses than the Quest 1. I'll have to dig out some old smaller frames for the purpose so I don't feel like I'm in a vice.

That is my review.

Not sure if you already know but there's a glasses spacer provided with the Quest, although it only adds a few mm and can affect FOV.

You can also get prescription lenses made for the Quest 2. Considering getting some made for mine

https://zybervr.com/en-gb/products/zybervr-prescription-lens-with-blue-light-filter-for-oculus-quest-2

Blue Jam

@Milo, could you also get a thicker face pad? My Quest 2 was from the batch which had an issue where some users were having skin reactions to the foam pad. Oculus (as they were then) sent out replacement pads for free and I got a pack of two in two different thicknesses. Never used 'em as I didn't have skin issues and I just use a silicone cover over the original pad, but it's nice to have a spare and options innit?

Pics here:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=73204.msg4567533#msg4567533

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 31, 2023, 02:33:02 PM@Milo, could you also get a thicker face pad? My Quest 2 was from the batch which had an issue where some users were having skin reactions to the foam pad. Oculus (as they were then) sent out replacement pads for free and I got a pack of two in two different thicknesses. Never used 'em as I didn't have skin issues and I just use a silicone cover over the original pad, but it's nice to have a spare and options innit?

Pics here:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=73204.msg4567533#msg4567533

I got that but didn't use it again after trying it once. Felt like being sweaty and naked on a leather sofa.

Milo

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 31, 2023, 02:33:02 PM@Milo, could you also get a thicker face pad? My Quest 2 was from the batch which had an issue where some users were having skin reactions to the foam pad. Oculus (as they were then) sent out replacement pads for free and I got a pack of two in two different thicknesses. Never used 'em as I didn't have skin issues and I just use a silicone cover over the original pad, but it's nice to have a spare and options innit?

Pics here:

Possibly, it's the width that's the main issue though, I've got quite a wide frame. Some of my old ones are in a drawer somewhere and might fit better, don't need perfect eyesight for it. My prescription is something around -10.75 per eye so can't just do without glasses.

Edit: though I've just discovered you can get inserts for prescription lenses. First ones I found only go to -8 but that may well be good enough.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Milo on December 31, 2023, 02:57:20 PMEdit: though I've just discovered you can get inserts for prescription lenses. First ones I found only go to -8 but that may well be good enough.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 31, 2023, 02:23:32 PMNot sure if you already know but there's a glasses spacer provided with the Quest, although it only adds a few mm and can affect FOV.

You can also get prescription lenses made for the Quest 2. Considering getting some made for mine

https://zybervr.com/en-gb/products/zybervr-prescription-lens-with-blue-light-filter-for-oculus-quest-2

Milo

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Milo on December 31, 2023, 04:05:14 PMOh sorry, missed that!

It's OK, just wanted to make sure you saw that although it might be the same website you looked at. Reloptix are apparently really good as well and go to -12 although they're a bit pricier

https://reloptix.com/en-gb/products/vr-meta-reloptix-vrx-prescription-lenses-quest-2

Would definitely get ones that are magnetic (Seems that most are) to easily switch them out for other users

Milo

I was looking at the 'official' lenses that don't go to the same range. I think I'll get a set from reloptix at some point as they look decent.

Yeah, definitely. £61 until jan the 2nd. I'll go for that rather than dig out my knackered old glasses.

Blue Jam

Just dusted off and updated my Quest 2, found Beat Saber now includes a music pack from FUCKING QUEEN, get in.

Gonna try this Xbox integration thing when I get the chance, play Subnautica in VR like a masochist. Or maybe not- just discovered that Metaverse Me now has arms and that freaked me out enough.

Memorex MP3

Looks like support for Quest 1 is ending at the end of April.

falafel

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 22, 2024, 11:16:12 AMJust dusted off and updated my Quest 2, found Beat Saber now includes a music pack from FUCKING QUEEN, get in.

Gonna try this Xbox integration thing when I get the chance, play Subnautica in VR like a masochist. Or maybe not- just discovered that Metaverse Me now has arms and that freaked me out enough.

Daft Punk now too, including a few tracks from Alive 2007 like the Around the World / Harder Better Faster Stronger mashup. Veridis Quo is nice and relaxing, feels sort of like the beat saber equivalent of knitting or meditation.