Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblewrong 2023???

Started by selectivememory, June 17, 2023, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Couple of weeks until Wimbledon, so I suppose we should get this going again.

Happy to do the administrative honours this year if no one else (*ahem* @Spoon of Ploff ) wants to (though would appreciate other people helping out by calling the scores and keeping people punctual with their shots if I'm not about, but I can deffo do the draws at least).

I'll leave this thread here for a day or two. If there's enough interest I'll put out a call to arms in General Bullshit for the losers who don't check out this obscure subforum.

Rules:

Quote1. Each match will consist of two shots per player, except the final in which there are three shots per player.

2. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.

3. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size, and must be still images.

4. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite in the game thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours. In the event of a tie after the voting period has passed, the voting time will be extended by 12 hours, and if after that there is no winner, the next player to get a vote will win the tie.

5. Common sense prevails in image choice.

6. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

7. In some cases it is necessary for one or more high-scoring losers to progress to the next round. High-scoring losers are simply those who get the most votes out of all the losing players in the round. If it comes down to two players who have the same number of votes, the player who lost by the smaller margin will progress as the high-scoring loser.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

selectivememory

Also, it seems like AI has come a long way since last year. Maybe there needs to be a new rule to regulate the usage of that in shots. Open to any suggestions. I was thinking that if someone does use it, there should be transparency - or maybe people could post links to all their source images like they used to do in Wimblewrongs of old. I dunno.

TheGingerAlien

Cheers for reminding us! I'm ready to wrong again.

I think AI stuff should be banned - but we should start compiling historic shots to create the ultimate training data set for future generations of virtual wrong'uns.

Ferris

Depending on work commitments, I may be able to repeat my disastrous 2022 campaign.

AI shots are absolutely verboten imo. Anyone using them should be thrown out the competition/forum via siege weapon.

selectivememory

Yeah. I was thinking that maybe people might use it to produce elements of their shots, which is what I'm putting up for debate now, though personally I don't like the idea myself. But generating entire shots via AI? Absolutely not allowed.

Would be easier just to say no AI allowed at all, and participants need to be prepared to show us their source images if requested or challenged to keep it fair. I know there are some players who like to make their own art rather than use photo-editing software, and that's also fine.

touchingcloth

I think AI is potentially fine but that

Quote from: selectivememory on June 17, 2023, 03:51:13 PMparticipants need to be prepared to show us their source images if requested

Then people can vote with their, er, votes.

I'd be more than happy to provide PSD files to at least the umpire, if not publishing for everyone to be able to see just how pathetic my skills are copy the Wimblewrong techniques I have developed.

Some excellent shots have used source images as basically the entirety of the image with very little added by the player. I don't think I'd give many points to an image which was entirely created by AI, but composites using AI elements? Why not.

Ferris

So that's @touchingcloth for the trebuchet, anyone else?

touchingcloth

Oh, yeah, I'm in. I don't have any fucking time for it, but I'm in.

Have I won?

Spoon of Ploff

WimbleWrong drains the vitality of it's administrators, the creativity of its competitors and the critical sensibilities of it's judges.

Last year saw the lowest turn out yet, with a level of tardiness I'd not witnessed before. The semi final had to be abandoned and converted into a three player final, and resulted in barely more votes cast than shots played.

I would strongly recommend a hiatus.

If you're itching to do wrongs, how about starting a new Anything Goes thread, with last post incorporating elements of the previous?

selectivememory

touchingcloth

What is best in life?

Drain the vitality of your administrators, the creativity of your competitors, and see the lamentable state of their WimbleWrongs.

Ferris

My participation in Wronging coincided with the moribund slide into nothing.

It's a fair point though - I think we should give it a miss unless we can get a decent roster together? 8-12 participants with part of the entry requirements involving voting in other matches? I don't know.

superthunderstingcar

As a relative newcomer to CaB I enjoyed voting on the matches last year, but I wouldn't know where to start if I had to compete - I could just about use MS Paint to put a caption or a speech bubble onto a pre-existing jpg.

I think the trouble may be that the handful of Cabbers who are good at 'shopping together pics are reeeaaally good at it, which intimidates the rest of us into not bothering.

Ferris

I knocked all my images up on paint and leaned into the super DIY aesthetic. Voters on the whole are pretty charitable if they can see what you're trying to do vs a slick image that isn't as funny.

That might be complete bollocks though.

selectivememory

Quote from: Ferris on June 18, 2023, 03:25:53 PMMy participation in Wronging coincided with the moribund slide into nothing.

It's a fair point though - I think we should give it a miss unless we can get a decent roster together? 8-12 participants with part of the entry requirements involving voting in other matches? I don't know.

I reckon it'll be fine. Wimblewrong has had its peaks and troughs over the years. No indication yet that this year will be a shitshow as well.

Also, as far as voting goes, while I strongly encourage all participants to vote in other matches, I don't think you can force it. You can, however, harass the good folks of General Bullshit into voting more if you're persistent enough.

Ferris

Yes, fair points and I think that's a better idea than mine.

touchingcloth

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on June 18, 2023, 04:02:19 PMAs a relative newcomer to CaB I enjoyed voting on the matches last year, but I wouldn't know where to start if I had to compete - I could just about use MS Paint to put a caption or a speech bubble onto a pre-existing jpg.

I think the trouble may be that the handful of Cabbers who are good at 'shopping together pics are reeeaaally good at it, which intimidates the rest of us into not bothering.

Some of the best entries ever have been speech bubbles on top of images, maybe with three or four of them combined in the same picture to create a comic strip of sorts.

I'm semi-competent with Photoshop, but that's as much a curse as a blessing - I'll spend an hour on something with loads of elements and layers, and someone else wins the round with a basic MS Paint entry because, let's face it, they had a funnier idea than I did.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 18, 2023, 01:52:14 PMWimbleWrong drains the vitality of it's administrators, the creativity of its competitors and the critical sensibilities of it's judges.

Last year saw the lowest turn out yet, with a level of tardiness I'd not witnessed before. The semi final had to be abandoned and converted into a three player final, and resulted in barely more votes cast than shots played.

I would strongly recommend a hiatus.

If you're itching to do wrongs, how about starting a new Anything Goes thread, with last post incorporating elements of the previous?

If this is how people are feeling then there's no point bothering is there? Sort of hoped maybe people get a laugh out of all the demented wrongings, but maybe we're just pissing in the wind?

Veritably covered myself in piss last year trying to amuse you n'all. Ungrateful bastards. Close the bureau de change, the AI has won already!

selectivememory

Yeah, was going to say, even if it was a bit of a shambles last year, we still got some good wrongings out of it all.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm on the fence at the moment. I've got the feeling during other matches that familiar forum memes are a sure way to get votes so why try anything different. On the other hand Slagatha Christie's Poirot went down really well last year, and I do have fun once I'm actually playing. On the third mutant hand I'm already feeling a bit demoralised in my creative endeavours (specifically, I'm being reminded of why I stopped trying to write multi-chaptered stories involving niche romantic pairings). Put me down as a maybe for now.

touchingcloth

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on June 18, 2023, 09:53:25 PMIf this is how people are feeling then there's no point bothering is there? Sort of hoped maybe people get a laugh out of all the demented wrongings, but maybe we're just pissing in the wind?

Veritably covered myself in piss last year trying to amuse you n'all. Ungrateful bastards. Close the bureau de change, the AI has won already!

We can just play each other for ten pages again.

Ferris

Like a WimbleWrong Royal Rumble.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Ferris on June 18, 2023, 10:41:41 PMLike a WimbleWrong Royal Rumble.

Woyal Wumble

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 18, 2023, 10:22:12 PMWe can just play each other for ten pages again.

Vitality, creativity and critical thinking sensibilities allowing - yes

Ferris

Dr Trouser

when are we thinking of doing this?

selectivememory

In two weeks, to coincide with the start of Wimbledon.

Clive Dogshit

put me down for this don't really care about AI or if anyone votes cheers

Dr Trouser

Quote from: selectivememory on June 19, 2023, 09:39:09 AMIn two weeks, to coincide with the start of Wimbledon.

I'm away until the 9th July so won't be joining in this year then.

Uncle TechTip

First and foremost the shots have to be funny, so that rules out using AI right at the start.