Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:46:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais' "Finest Work"

Started by Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub, March 25, 2024, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ferris on March 25, 2024, 08:32:47 PMMind when he sat on a pie and that was the whole bit? Or when he fell in a pond?

Superb. And people say he's lost it.

Remember when Kev showed Derek his childhood teddy bear and Derek thought it was dead and called the coast guard for assistance? Then Derek burped, shat himself and fell over? Remember?

Catalogue Trousers

frajer

I'm sure it was mentioned at the time but I love that Robot Grief Dog was clearly meant to be a creation of Dougie the handyman but, after Pilkington fucked the series off, Gervais just made Kev build it instead.

Alcoholic sex pest Kev who had never expressed an interest in anything remotely creative, or indeed anything besides sitting around looking up OAP skirts.

It cannot be said enough how lazy a bastard Gervais is.

Geoffs~Cape

Kindness is magic

Shit, I might have to do another hate-watch. Had forgotten quite how utterly barmy this whole thing was.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: frajer on March 26, 2024, 07:52:28 PMI'm sure it was mentioned at the time but I love that Robot Grief Dog was clearly meant to be a creation of Dougie the handyman but, after Pilkington fucked the series off, Gervais just made Kev build it instead.

Alcoholic sex pest Kev who had never expressed an interest in anything remotely creative, or indeed anything besides sitting around looking up OAP skirts.

It cannot be said enough how lazy a bastard Gervais is.

You're giving Gervais too much credit, it was even more lazy than that. I'm pretty sure that David Earl had started doing his Charles Petrescu stuff at least a year before the robot grief dog episode.

dead-ced-dead

I decided to do a rewatch. Some observations:

Gervais' shit Rain Man impression comes and goes quite frequently. Sometimes he just sounds like Gervais without the jutting jaw or hunch. Especially when he's not the focus of the scene. Very lazy actor.

He's also so obviously autism coded that to say he isn't is ridiculous.

Karl Pilkington can only play himself but he's got the charisma to be quite winning on screen. It's nice when he occasionally pops up in things like Rain Dogs or The Thief, His Wife and the Canoe.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He does have stumpy fingers. The Gallagher brothers have the same affliction.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I still find myself wondering about the sausage tail, all these years later.

I mean, I get that the in-universe idea was that the dog was made out of whatever bric-a-brac had been lying around at the time. But why would one choose to fashion a key component out of a perishable food item?

Aside from the fact that it would disintegrate within a couple of days (whereas all other parts that make up the RGD's chassis would last a reasonable about of time), it just seems like wilful disregard for care home hygiene regulations, let alone the health & wellbeing of the robot grief gift recipient.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 26, 2024, 08:20:44 AMI think it's this one

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=34436.0

Reading threads like that just makes me feel sad and nostalgic for all the good posters who have departed. Why don't they come back, and post EVERY DAY? Except the dead ones, they are allowed not to post [magnanimity].

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on March 26, 2024, 11:59:05 PMBut why would one choose to fashion a key component out of a perishable food item?

Kev was having lunch (sausages if you must know) with Salvador Dali and Kev was taunting him saying "Oh you and your clocks". Dali takes exception to this and a scuffle ensues. During the melee a sausage flies into the air Grange Hill style and lands at the rear of the grief dog, instantly forming a makeshift tail and completing the work.

Kev and Salvador looked at each other and said "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Bronzy

I've just seen Derek, and nothing prepares you for this.

I cheered, I shouted, I fist pumped the air, I cried, I stood and cheered.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Vodkafone on March 27, 2024, 12:07:22 AMReading threads like that just makes me feel sad and nostalgic for all the good posters who have departed. Why don't they come back, and post EVERY DAY? Except the dead ones, they are allowed not to post [magnanimity].

Yes, why don't they? What could it be?

Vodkafone

Jumblegraws

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on March 26, 2024, 11:59:05 PMI still find myself wondering about the sausage tail, all these years later.

I mean, I get that the in-universe idea was that the dog was made out of whatever bric-a-brac had been lying around at the time. But why would one choose to fashion a key component out of a perishable food item?

Aside from the fact that it would disintegrate within a couple of days (whereas all other parts that make up the RGD's chassis would last a reasonable about of time), it just seems like wilful disregard for care home hygiene regulations, let alone the health & wellbeing of the robot grief gift recipient.
But if it was air-dried like the Spanish do, it would keep for months. Gervais knows his sausages. (Actually isn't Gervais a vegetarian? Does that mean it was Quorn? I once ate a Quorn sausage that was one month out of date after I got confused about what month it is, and it didn't seem much difference.)