Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it possible to continue blocking adverts on YouTube?

Started by Tombola, October 27, 2023, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

A slightly broader adblocking question, but I like heardledecades.com. In the last few days, the number of ads has jumped up, one of which forces the screen to scroll so you have to move it to be able to type your answer in.

When I try it on Firefox, which has Adblocker Ultimate, the individual pages don't load. Is there a way round this? Happy to use a different adblocker if there is.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 07, 2023, 01:48:58 AMA slightly broader adblocking question, but I like heardledecades.com. In the last few days, the number of ads has jumped up, one of which forces the screen to scroll so you have to move it to be able to type your answer in.

When I try it on Firefox, which has Adblocker Ultimate, the individual pages don't load. Is there a way round this? Happy to use a different adblocker if there is.

I'm here with Firefox Android and ublock origin and I did a little walk round a quiz I didn't see any ads.

I've never been there before though and who's to say they don't show more ads to regular users.

Famous Mortimer

Not working for me on a desktop, with Firefox and Ublock.

Although it does work with Chrome and Ublock. Sorry, this has been a complete waste of everyone's time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 07, 2023, 03:51:21 PMNot working for me on a desktop, with Firefox and Ublock.

Although it does work with Chrome and Ublock. Sorry, this has been a complete waste of everyone's time.

Apparently they're updating filter lists several times a day to counteract google, so it might be that the two are out of sync, have you tried forcing an update?

There's also backup/restore functionality on the main settings tab so you could move config from the working one to the bost one.

DrGreggles

I use Vivaldi w/ Privacy Badger.
95% fine, but opening in Incognito has never failed.

You'll need to go to Extensions > Privacy Badger > Details, and check 'Allow in Incognito', but you already knew that

Cloud

At the moment I have Premium but as a "fuck you" to them doing this to free users I'm unsubscribing. 

Then I'll use yt_dlp

If they block that they can get to fuck and I'll pester my favourite creators to put videos elsewhere for a small payment or whatever.

Famous Mortimer

It's possibly a different country thing, but Firefox and Ublock Origin, not seen an advert on Youtube in donkey's.

touchingcloth

I've seen a few places recently report that they are adding in 5 second delays to people who use adblockers or Firefox. I haven't noticed this myself as one of the former types of people, but then my internet is poor enough that five seconds doesn't feel like an unusually long loading time to me...

dontpaintyourteeth

5 seconds of silence would be infinitely preferable to the ad the app keeps throwing at me with Keith "Fucking Keith Fucking Lemon" Lemon yelling at me about bingo or some bollocks

Sebastian Cobb

Surely nearly everyone would take 5 seconds of nothing over an intrusive ad, I'm not sure they've thought this through. Edit: what dontpaintyourteeth said.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2023, 04:28:18 PMIt's possibly a different country thing, but Firefox and Ublock Origin, not seen an advert on Youtube in donkey's.

Same setup for me, didn't realize youtube even had ads.

Safari with a couple of adblockers seems to work on my phone so I can watch Limmy clips* on the go, uninterrupted.

*the only reason to use youtube

hermitical

My phone has always been fine, either on Firefox (when I could remember to open in the browser) or more lately YouTube ReVanced.