Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

component input - new TV or convertor?

Started by Pink Gregory, December 07, 2023, 12:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Finally looking to get my old consoles out again (PS2-Xbox-Gamecube-Wii), problem is, they now live upstairs and only the living room telly has the component inputs I need.

Easier getting a new living room TV or something like a retroTINK x5 convertor?  I don't understand how convertors work but it would be good to just have my 1080p monitor, but at the same time I sort of want to play the old games at the original resolution without upscaling, and I understand that the monitor might not display e.g. 480p?
Anyone with any experience? 

Sebastian Cobb

Actually good upscalers seem pretty expensive and I'm still sceptical of them.

Do you actually want to upgrade your lounge tv, as a cheap passable option might be to see if you can snap up an older lcd set on gumtree with component and scart. Or given your consoles all appear to be SD anyway, even a nice late CRT, I think they mask some of the jagged edges better than an LCD.

if you do want an upscaler this guy has done some decent reviews: https://www.youtube.com/@ModernVintageGamer/videos

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2023, 01:23:21 PMActually good upscalers seem pretty expensive and I'm still sceptical of them.

Do you actually want to upgrade your lounge tv, as a cheap passable option might be to see if you can snap up an older lcd set on gumtree with component and scart. Or given your consoles all appear to be SD anyway, even a nice late CRT, I think they mask some of the jagged edges better than an LCD.

if you do want an upscaler this guy has done some decent reviews: https://www.youtube.com/@ModernVintageGamer/videos

well the thing is I would much rather just get another living room telly, because that way I don't have to worry about finding the right inputs for a new one, but then I am concerned that everything tech these days has a fairly short life and this Samsung TV is coming up to about the age at which my last one conked out for no reason, and I do wonder how many used ones that I could get would be the same.

From the brief googling I've done it seems the case that, for the convertor solution, there are cheap converters that are basically rubbish and overheat, and then the expensive upscalers that would work but are massively overkill for what I want, and basically nowt in the middle.

I'd love a CRT, but I would imagine that I don't have space enough and it would cost a fair amount to run compared to an LED tv.