Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Switch/Steam Deck double disaster

Started by Beagle 2, February 20, 2024, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Asking more in hope than expectation really, but worth a shot.

A few days ago I was on my Switch and it was getting close to empty, so I reached over and plugged in a Steam Deck charger (yes I know this is naughty but it was closest and I've used it before with no issues). It briefly flashed up a weird black screen message saying something like the Switch needs to go on standby and then died. Nothing will now wake it up, tried official charger, a few others, tried all sorts of button combos to try and reset it or jolt it into life.

So, okay, maybe I damaged it using the wrong charger, maybe it's just old and something has gone, it's pretty battered and I switched out a faulty SD card reader a few weeks ago (with no apparent issues).

What has really harshed my mellow is that when I came to use my Steam Deck, that's totally dead too. I hadn't switched it on for a week or so, so I thought the battery had just drained, but there's nothing doing. Tried the same routine, official charger, different ones to see if that woke it up, hopeful button combo presses, but it's totally dead and no charging light at all. I have actually looked after the Deck impeccably. Of course, its a month out of warranty.

Any ideas here?! Could the steam deck charger have gone rogue and melted two batteries? It seems fine if I plug it into another device.

Really quite grumpy about this.

touchingcloth

Do they charge using USB-C? If so then in my experience (and thanks to the protocols, I think?) using a high power charger won't damage a device which is rated for lower, so using a laptop charger in a phone has never been an issue.

Is your charger and wall adapter for the Steam Deck official, i.e. no cheapo or knockoff components between your switch and the wall even if it's not the official Nintendo part?

Bit weird that two devices have gone kaput with, presumably, the only common thing between them being that they've been charged by the same charger at some point. Do you have any other devices with a USB-C input that you could sacrifice to test whether this charger is especially lethal? Or an annoying house guest who leaves their compatible devices lying around with their ports unguarded?

Beagle 2

Both the Steam Deck and Nintendo charger are official. Steam Deck one seems to work fine on my phone. It's all very odd.

Memorex MP3

For the Switch could it have somehow gone into recovery mode? On my first gen pirated one I've to go into recovery a lot and if you don't know it there's no difference to see between that and it being dead. Plug it into a charger for a few hours (if you haven't already) and then hold the power button for 20 seconds then press it again.

Beagle 2

Thanks but no dice. I charged it for 24 hours and it felt a little warm but it's as dead as some doo doo.

Milo

It shouldn't be possible to damage the Switch by using the wrong charger as USB-C is designed accounting for the possibility that it might be plugged into various devices or even that you could plug a charger into a charger. My Switches have been charged by a million different ones without any problems. If anything it's unusual when we use official chargers.

Don't have anything to suggest, I'm afraid, but didn't want you to think you'd damaged it by doing something you shouldn't have.

USB-C chargers can have different charging modes, possibility that a higher voltage mode has buggered up - so it could work on some devices that are running at lower voltages. I don't know if this is actually possible but I *think* it could be.

falafel

When you say you've tried button combos, I presume that includes just holding down the power button for an absolute age? Several times in a row? That has miraculously cured a few seemingly dead items for me in the past. Also wondering with the Switch if it does anything while in the dock - eg if you try to power it on in there or just tap the power button a few times. In case it's the screen that's gone.

I'm sure you're aware but the Nintendo official guidance on what to do if the screen goes blank doesn't give you much to go on I'm afraid.

Kelvin

Could the Switch and charger have fried each other, but the Steam Deck just needs a new charger? No other ideas, I'm afraid.

Beagle 2

Thanks all, nothing doing but I appreciate your advice. I guess it's just incredibly poor luck. Feel like it's pointless getting anything fixed by Nintendo, last time I did that was with my DS years ago and they charged me more than it would have cost to buy a new one. I've heard Valve are sound though so may have more luck there.

Really quite grumpy about this.

falafel

Understandably so. Hope your Switch Online sub is up to date so you don't lose all your saves...

Edje

Power button on the Steam Deck can be a bit dodgy - have you tried slightly pushing down the case around the button before you press it?

falafel