Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

pop

Started by Midas, February 24, 2024, 01:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

G-technology G-DRIVE just went pop and no longer receives power

Is it possible to determine the source of the malfunction without having to purchase another 12V power adaptor

Don't want to waste eleven pounds on another power adaptor only to discover it's the drive itself that's knackered, you see

I am pauper

Midas

I was midway through copying something to the drive when it POPPED

My files are probably gone, aren't they

I just looked up G-technology, and they don't even exist anymore

Midas

Are external hard drives a con

falafel

There's possibly a regular SSD or hard drive inside that you could check with a USB adapter of some kind. Used to be you could get a SATA adapter. Might be m.2 now though. Is there any obvious way of dismantling the case without destroying it?

Sebastian Cobb

It's usually the psu's that go.

Can you check it with a multimeter?

Other option is to remove the drive as falafel says.

Midas

May be able to get someone to check with a multimeter

Quote from: falafel on February 24, 2024, 08:17:07 AMThere's possibly a regular SSD or hard drive inside that you could check with a USB adapter of some kind. Used to be you could get a SATA adapter. Might be m.2 now though. Is there any obvious way of dismantling the case without destroying it?

There are six Phillips screws on the underside, which I think should let me peak inside the aluminium chassis (one is obscured by a 'WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED' sticker)

Might unscrew them later

Would be grand if I could bypass the PSU to recover my files