Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,612,184
  • Total Topics: 107,219
  • Online Today: 509
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 30, 2024, 02:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Curse - new A24 Fielder/Safdie/Stone scripted TV comedy due in the autumn

Started by Tiggles, August 17, 2023, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Quote from: mjwilson on December 31, 2023, 05:59:46 PMI didn't get that, thought Whitney was just totally oblivious as usual.

I might be wrong, but after Cara had explained the performance and the significance of the turkey meat (which she finished with a very pointed comment), I thought Whitney seemed a bit taken aback and suddenly very eager to wrap things up with the cameraman and get out of there.

Petey Pate

She was being filmed so couldn't let her genuine feelings slip, but there was definitely a pause before she responded with the same thing as to Brett's fake shaman act.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I don't understand all your praise for the show, which is by far the most disappointing and predictable thing by Fielder. It's saved by Stone's performance, as she manages to sell the various sides of Whitney, including how she she's gradually reduced to acting like a child when confronting her father, but otherwise it's just a story about reality TV involving a bunch of despicable and entitled phonies, causing destruction in the process of supposedly making things better.

And it can be easily summed up in three words.

Spoiler alert
White people, duh?
[close]

I don't mind having deeply unlikable characters at the center of a show. That's basically the whole premise of Succession, for instance. But Succession was exhilarating as it had spoiled brats who couldn't acknowledge their level of privilege and their inadequacies that made them unfit to run a major corporation, but who came up with new ideas to destroy each other (or themselves) in every episode. That's a fascinating takedown of the super wealthy that also stays true to human nature, with the denial, the misery and the trauma involved, which allows us to connect in some capacity with the main characters.

The Curse, on the other hand, validates everything you can guess from watching any single episode of reality TV. There's no "reality" in it, as it's all fake and there's nothing spontaneous from the characters (we had the stuff about Whitney casting a couple as replacement prospective buyers, now she spoon-feeds lines that she wants to hear to other people), our perception of the stars can be created through editing out-of-context elements and self-serving monologues, and these are not people you'd like to meet in real life, as they turn very full of themselves. And it's not exactly a huge fall from grace, as everything was on display in the early minutes of the pilot.
Sure, Dougie is the worst, but he's also quite boring, as everything you need to know about him is provided through his conversation about alcohol with his date early on. You know that he's manipulative (and not super efficient at it, unless it applies to people even more in denial than he is, like Ashley and Whitney), that he's consumed by envy, that he has a major alcohol issue, and that's basically it.

brat-sampson

Found the latest episode of this (9) quite viscerally unpleasant and can't wait for the finale next week.

selectivememory

Oh, Asher... get some self respect man. That last couple of minutes was truly painful to watch. Even Dougie looked uncomfortable.

The version of their show we saw was superbly done. Just demonstrates how much Fielder understands "reality" TV. Not just what goes into it behind the scenes, but what the finished product actually looks and feels like. Because I think that in the majority of cases, the show-within-a-show wouldn't seem anywhere near as authentic as that did. Honestly had a huge laugh when they cut in Cara praising Whitney's houses, and it feeling like a natural and spontaneous moment, and nowhere near as awkward as when we previously saw Whitney feeding her her lines.

Very much a Whitney/Asher episode. Maybe the network shooting down some of Dougie's ideas put him in his place a bit, because it was quite a lowkey and subdued episode from his perspective, whereas I was expecting something appalling from him after last week.

Petey Pate

Quote from: selectivememory on January 05, 2024, 01:48:24 PMOh, Asher... get some self respect man. That last couple of minutes was truly painful to watch. Even Dougie looked uncomfortable.

It was incredibly pathetic but also manipulative on his part. He knows that them being together is in Whitney's interest if she wants the reality TV show to air. It's also hard to imagine Whitney coping with a partner who doesn't offer complete servitude.

I took it that Whitney googling her maiden name implied that the main reason she married Asher was to be able to change her name. That and converting to Judaism in order to give her a minority status.

selectivememory

Ah, yeah, I guess I missed that aspect. I kind of felt she played him like a fiddle in that episode, but didn't see how from his perspective he might have had an angle there.

Tiggles

Jesus fucking Christ that was absolutely excruciating.
Spoiler alert
Cara in the massage parlour. The countdowns. The music change with the governor, "the succulents aren't the only indigenous thing". The parents accusing her of "dressing up" - is she wearing a Star of David pendant? Asher's bowling glove. Asher having his private fantasy of Bill "fucking the whistleblower's wife". The absolute horror of the last ten mins. Whitney completely playing into Asher's humiliation fantasy. "There's a good girl".
[close]

Laughed out loud a LOT and still ended up feeling unwell. Job done, one to go, and I have no clue where it will end up.

Asher is so repellent lmao

The term gets thrown around a lot, but I do think it's a "brave" performance for Fielder to take on this role as a quasi-actor in his first dramatic acting performance playing a character somewhat similar to himself.

selectivememory

Holy shit, that was wild. Someone made a comment earlier in the thread about finding this to be the most unpredictable show they've seen in a while, and yeah, would be amazed if anyone had any idea what was going to happen in the second half of the episode. Truly original and brilliant.

So, I guess
Spoiler alert
Asher was cursed after all, either by Dougie or the little girl.

Thinking back to the first half of the episode, I did like how Abshir is still just suspicious of the pair of them and couldn't even fake gratitude for their gift (which was clearly all about them wanting the feeling of doing a nice thing for someone, rather than being something genuine and selfless).
[close]

Right now it's hard for me to know what to make of the show as a whole. That last 40 minutes definitely elevated it in my estimation though.

Tiggles

Gonna have to wait to watch it over breakfast tomorrow. I've accepted it won't make any sense.

brat-sampson

Yup, that was the ending this show deserved. Just break down everything.

Joe Oakes

Was anyone else expecting...

Spoiler alert
...Emma Stone to give birth to a roast chicken?
[close]

Quote from: Joe Oakes on January 12, 2024, 09:37:34 PMWas anyone else expecting...

Spoiler alert
...Emma Stone to give birth to a roast chicken?
[close]

I did think maybe

Spoiler alert
when they cut her open for the C-section the baby would shoot upwards only attached to her by the umbilical cord
[close]

Tiggles

That was unequivocally nuts.

I can't even get into what I think it all meant, if indeed it meant anything. When
Spoiler alert
Asher woke up on the ceiling, I immediately thought of Metamorphosis, then couldn't stop giggling at how ludicrous it was. By the time he was in the tree, I just felt poorly with dread at the inevitable.
[close]

Again, I can't recommend this show to anyone, but it has been fascinating if excruciating to experience. Will anyone give Fielder a budget to do stuff on telly ever again?

That was almost a Twin Peak: The Return Ep. 8 level curveball. Amazing finale.

Led Souptin

So as someone who found the whole thing pretty unejoyable and gave up on episode 3, is it worth watching till the end? Is the finale worth the preceeding 9(ish) hours?

selectivememory

I don't think someone who disliked the first three episodes would find a lot to like in the next few. The finale is genuinely great and batshit, and does work as a payoff to the series as a whole, and I was glad I stuck with it in the end. But I say that as someone who did think it was a good show and yet still found it very hard to sit through at times. 

Quote from: Led Souptin on January 13, 2024, 09:36:37 AMSo as someone who found the whole thing pretty unejoyable and gave up on episode 3, is it worth watching till the end? Is the finale worth the preceeding 9(ish) hours?

I agree with @selectivememory above, you gave it a good go watching three episodes and the next six aren't any different in tone.

You could go probably watch the finale as a standalone as it's
Spoiler alert
pretty disconnected
[close]
from the rest of the series' especially if you started at the point where
Spoiler alert
Asher wakes up on the ceiling
[close]

Whoever said that this show is something you might watch yourself but not recommended to anyone was pretty spot on.

I thought this was really great, glad to be in the (slight minority?) of people that enjoyed it. Emma Stone, Fielder's weird turn, score was lush, and there were some huge laughs as well. Just felt very singular, and it's hard to think of anything quite like it, certainly in English speaking media.

selectivememory

Still can't get over that second half of the finale. One of the most remarkable extended sequences I've ever seen in a TV show.

On the whole, this does feel like a show that was purposefully made to be alienating to large parts of its audience. Absolutely fascinated to see what Fielder does next, and Safdie too will be very much on my radar going forward.

Quote from: selectivememory on January 13, 2024, 04:15:46 PMStill can't get over that second half of the finale. One of the most remarkable extended sequences I've ever seen in a TV show.

I loved how long we as an audience spent in suspense. Just made the tension unbearable. Also, Dougie managed to make me laugh with his trademark useless attempts at reassurance, on the phone to Moses "I know exactly what to do", then when Asher was in the tree "You do you". And still calling him Ash-man to the bitter end.

Joe Oakes

One thing that's been bugging me...

Spoiler alert
Ash should have been hanging on the underside of the branch.
[close]

Unrealistic. 2/10

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Joe Oakes on January 14, 2024, 01:08:05 PMOne thing that's been bugging me...

Spoiler alert
Ash should have been hanging on the underside of the branch.
[close]

Unrealistic. 2/10

Actually...

Spoiler alert
...I meant perching rather than hanging. He could have lazily sat upside down on the branch hands-free, thus easily demonstrating his predicament and avoiding the tree cutting and subsequent journey to space.
[close]

Would never happen. 2/10.

Pimhole

Quote from: selectivememory on January 12, 2024, 12:12:44 PMSo, I guess
Spoiler alert
Asher was cursed after all, either by Dougie or the little girl.

[close]

I think he was
Spoiler alert
cursed by his fuck-awful wife, all along.

Also, what was with the lingering shot of her smiling in the delivery room? The nurse asks if she wants them to see if her husband is there and she just... doesn't answer. The night before she goes into labour Asher is talking to the bump and she looks at him so coldly and dispassionately, almost like she's thinking "I wish this fucker would just fly off the face of the Earth and into the cold depths of space". I'm not suggesting she deliberately cursed him, but she IS a spoiled little rich girl who get everything she wants in life.
[close]

selectivememory

Yeah, also thinking along similar lines after having been reminded of something Asher said in the previous episode:

https://nitter.net/nafss_1998/status/1745779918850638120#m

McDead

Quote from: Pimhole on January 14, 2024, 03:35:39 PMI think he was
Spoiler alert

Also, what was with the lingering shot of her smiling in the delivery room? The nurse asks if she wants them to see if her husband is there and she just... doesn't answer. The night before she goes into labour Asher is talking to the bump and she looks at him so coldly and dispassionately, almost like she's thinking "I wish this fucker would just fly off the face of the Earth and into the cold depths of space". I'm not suggesting she deliberately cursed him, but she IS a spoiled little rich girl who get everything she wants in life.
[close]

Yep, agreed. Ultimately I think he was thrice cursed, once by the girl, once by Dougie, and finally by
Spoiler alert
Whitney
[close]

Joe Oakes

Quote from: McDead on January 14, 2024, 09:59:14 PMYep, agreed. Ultimately I think he was thrice cursed, once by the girl, once by Dougie, and finally by
Spoiler alert
Whitney
[close]

Spoiler alert
Not sure if we can blame the little girl for the curse, the stupid runt couldn't even force a small child to fall off a gym rope with the aid of gravity, I doubt she has the power to blast a fully-grown Nathan Fielder into orbit.
[close]

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Pimhole on January 14, 2024, 03:35:39 PMI think he was
Spoiler alert

[close]

Spoiler alert
Also, her TV show will now inevitably become a belated huge hit. I'd watch it.
[close]

Tags: