Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:14:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bobbie Gentry

Started by kalowski, November 03, 2023, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

BBC4 showing episodes of her TV show. She's ace isn't she? Lots of crackers but obviously Ode to Billy Joe is objectively one of the best things ever.

sevendaughters

Quote from: kalowski on November 03, 2023, 09:59:22 PMLots of crackers

/rejected cab renames

(yeah I absolutely love Bobbie Gentry, stuff like Papa Won't You Let Me Go With You is like country-pop-Latin-jazz, like, genuinely unusual music played as if it were everyday!)

Jim_MacLaine

Fancy and Local Gentry are both well worth investigating.

Turned her back on it all and disappeared with a heap of cash she'd made from property investments I think.

kalowski

Mississippi Delta is another superb song.

Not important but the TV show made me realise that she's utterly beautiful too.

Edit: Hollies on as guest stars doing the worst version of Blowin' in the Wind I've ever heard.

studpuppet

bigfatheart

Quote from: kalowski on November 03, 2023, 10:11:29 PMHollies on as guest stars doing the worst version of Blowin' in the Wind I've ever heard.

From an album of Dylan covers they did that are pretty much all abysmal, although Blowin' in the Wind is the stand-out in that regard.

kalowski

Oh my god in this black and white episode from 1971 she is absolutely glorious. Cute, cool, sexy and just having the best time ever.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: studpuppet on November 03, 2023, 10:20:45 PMThe Cocaine & Rhinestones episode on her is a good listen.

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/bobbie-gentry-exit-stage-left

Blimey, they've got three episodes on Jeannie C Riley. Will give these a listen.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Regarding Gentry and Dylan, Ode to Billy Joe prompted him to write "Answer to Ode", a song where absolutely nothing would happen (except in the background), which was recorded as part of the Basement Tapes and released under a less obvious title, "Clothes Line Saga".

Hollies Sing Dylan caused Graham Nash to leave the rest of the band, as they didn't want to record his recent songs but wanted to make an entire album of Vegas-style covers of Dylan. He left shortly after Blowin' in the Wind was released as a single, as he's still part of the band on the Bobbie Gentry Show, but before they started recording the rest of the album.