Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 23, 2024, 02:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peanuts

Started by bgmnts, November 14, 2023, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Decided to get a a collection of Peanut strips as I have never seen one before, and I must say I'm only halfway through the first one and I'm a bit amazed at how funny it is. It's almost 75 years old so doubt it needs explaining why many of them are funny, but here's some of my early highlights:

Spoiler alert




[close]

BritishHobo

I love early Charlie Brown. He has a kind of mischief and confidence that's largely stripped from him later on and given to characters like Lucy.

Old Nehamkin

Yeah I do enjoy the devil-may-care cheeky rascal iteration of Charlie Brown. "It's risky, but I get my laughs!"

bgmnts

I didn't show any of them because they're not too funny on their own, but yeah the running gag of him taking the piss out of Patty and legging it, pleased as punch, with his stupid Pac-Man face is very good.


madhair60

Peanuts is brilliant obviously. the last thread i did on it got ruined by a load of cunts, hopefully that won't happen again

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2023, 09:20:47 PMI didn't show any of them because they're not too funny on their own, but yeah the running gag of him taking the piss out of Patty and legging it, pleased as punch, with his stupid Pac-Man face is very good.



Stupid little pac man face is a great way of describing this delightful image. My one year old son does something similar, thats how I'm going to think of it now

lazyhour

When I was very young I absolutely adored Peanuts and Garfield. A couple of years later (maybe around 10) I added Calvin and Hobbes and, weirdly, Ernie Bushmiller's Nancy to the mix.

Returning to them as an adult, they all stand up completely.

Just kidding. Garfield is weak as hell.

I've got a few of the beautiful Fantagraphics Peanuts hardbacks and they are wonderful.

Twilkes

Garfield Minus Garfield is better than Garfield.

Although Garfield's plunger paws were the only thing holding my friends Mini together at sixth form college.

gilbertharding


Magnum Valentino

Quote from: bgmnts on November 14, 2023, 08:52:49 PMDecided to get a a collection of Peanut strips as I have never seen one before, and I must say I'm only halfway through the first one and I'm a bit amazed at how funny it is. It's almost 75 years old so doubt it needs explaining why many of them are funny, but here's some of my early highlights:

Spoiler alert




[close]

Which collection did you get?


bgmnts

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 15, 2023, 05:19:31 PMWhich collection did you get?



The Classic Peanut Collection from Titan Comics.

Split into three books: Peanuts, More Peanuts and Good Ol' Charlie Brown. 1950-1957.

Twilkes

How did Schultz regard the TV shows? They probably both propelled it and misrepresented it in equal measure?

I've just tracked down this old memory of Snoopy's daydream of working at a supermarket, set to a song.


letsgobrian

Quote from: Twilkes on November 15, 2023, 06:29:46 PMHow did Schultz regard the TV shows? They probably both propelled it and misrepresented it in equal measure?

He was a big part of setting the tone for the animated version, writing "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and insisting on casting children as the voice cast rather than adults.

https://nymag.com/vindicated/2016/11/how-a-charlie-brown-christmas-almost-wasnt.html